Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind I, 1/72nd scale

This is the Special Hobby  Westland Whirlwind  fighter that I finished earlier this year. The Whirlwind is fairly well known despite the small number built (114) and equipping only two squadrons and it was an aircraft that potentially could have been more successful but seemed to suffer from a number of 'misfortunes' that were out of the hands of Westlands.

the kit is from 2010 and is a mix of injection moulded plastic, resin and photo etch. Mine was built out of the box and seemed to go together reasonably well, although the wings needed some thinning down at the trailing edge and some filler was used on the wing roots and tailplanes. There is good cockpit detail, but  the canopy comes in one piece, not that bothered me as I usually build with closed canopies anyway. The aircraft is from 263 Sqn in the early part of 1941. Paints are Xtracrlyix  except for the spinners and fuselage band which are from Vallejo. The decals are from the kit and went on with few problems.  The surface detail is quite good, but I photographed the model in bright sunshine and some detail has been lost

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I hope you like the model.

• Like 48

Yowzah! Very nice model of a handsome airplane that was let down by the ill-fated Peregrine engines. If there had been enough Merlins to spare, just think how it  might have turned out. Well done!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Nice work!

Notwithstanding the production/performance issues it had, I always liked the look of it.

I probably was in that "two engines must be better than one" mindset back in the day.

Well done.

👍👍

• Thanks 1

Off the top of my head, the main issues were thick trailing edges, which seem to be normal for shorter run kits. Care needs to be taken with setting the undercarriage bays up in the engine nacelles and then the undercarriage legs. The doors were a bit vague in fitting not withstanding the pips on them. Wing fit could have been better and the nav lights needed care. I have built much worse and I reckon it was about  par for the course for a Special Hobby kit of the time. I enjoyed the build. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Well, I like it!

That does remind of a line from the Jasper Carrott spoof of 'The Magic Roundabout' from the seventies. Must be on YouTube somewhere. Not for innocent ears. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

That does remind of a line from the Jasper Carrott spoof of 'The Magic Roundabout' from the seventies. Must be on YouTube somewhere. Not for innocent ears. 

I pity the fool who gets easily offended!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 2:48 AM, 72modeler said:

..a handsome airplane that was let down by the ill-fated Peregrine engines. If there had been enough Merlins to spare, just think how it  might have turned out.

The Mosquito gives us a pretty good idea!

Lovely model.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the comments and likes. I still have the fighter-bomber version to do, which will probably in 137 Sqn colours, but an open question when it will get built as i found some kits in the stash that have grabbed my fancy (Eastern Star vacform Morane BB anyone?)