How blue was my Phantom?

Well, it turns out that my Phantom is very blue indeed.

In fact, it's even bluer than the Heller Yak-3.

And I have actually seen the Heller Yak-3, so we don't get a situation like this:

Here is the proof.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Nothing a healthy coat of primer can't fix.  Figured it was a special edition of some sort.  Seemed to bright to be a Blue Angel.  Should look pretty sweet in that camo when you're done.

• Like 1

Another I was hoping to see, better prime those sprues, built that boxing before myself (the f4e in my thread in fact), plastic is awful like trying to paint on a wet surface even with Revell own aqua paints which adhere well without primer usually 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The blue seems to be quite a good match for this Luftwaffe special.... for those inexperienced it might help to achieve a rather nice scheme quickly.... some gold decals and there you go... 

I prefer your Iranian suggestion though ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, failing miserbaly on the thread update stakes...   :fraidnot:  :wall:

Let's start off easy peasey, lemon squeezy.  Main fuselage amd wing centre section assembled.

spacer.png

With a modicum of detail showing the engine faces.

spacer.png

Next came the cockpit components.  Totally OOB here.

spacer.png

Main fuselage and wing centre section assembled.  The forward fuselage is assembled as well and shown ready to be connected to the main fuselage.

spacer.png

Intakkes added.   The intakes are invariably a difficult area on F-4 kits (at least in my experience - maybe it's my bodge-handedness :D  ) but these went on  perfectly.

Primed with my usual grey auto primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

The uppersurfaces were sprayed with Lifecolor UA249.  I agonised long and hard over this one.  In some photos this colour can look quite dark and yellow.  In others it is faded.  I went for the latter option.  The model is masked up with my usual technique of Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex, ready for a coat of Lifecolor UA085 Brown 30140.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the process repeated ready for a coat of Xtracrylix XA1110 Green 34079.

spacer.png

Once again, I have to offer my apologies.  I got carried away with painting and didn't take and photos of the next stage.  For the record, the lowersurfaces were sprayed with Lifecolor UA021  Grey 36622.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...