1/72 Zvezda FW190A

Well another week, another finish for the 11th of 2019! Another "production" plane I get asked for a lot. Used the absolute honey of a kit from Zvezda and it was finished yesterday but I needed to let the Mr Color Super UV CUT III varnish ( never get tired of typing that!) harden a bit before a trip to the photo studio. So all in 5.5 hours over 6 days with mild use marks (guns and exhaust) and very light pre-shade to pop Zvezdas delicate panel lines. Sits nicely with my Spit & 109E I think.

Used Mr Color/Surfacer 1500 throughout and just did a light dusting of the matt varnish ( did get tired of typing the whole name) to get the sheen that Luftwaffe birds allegedly had. The spinner was a mask cut by my super accurate Cricut Air 2 and decals from a Skys sheet but you'll need the Eduard Royal 190 boxing for details of where to  put them as Sky don't tell you despite supplying corrected blue 13s.

Man I'm digging this building models thing, I actually gave up the chance to take an Extra 200 for a spin today so as to finish photography for  this and for me thats something big, nothing usually gets in the way of Anil K flying!

WIP here,

Pretty pictures here,

stbd1.JPG

rear1.JPG

front.jpg

under%20.JPG

detail1.JPG

detail2.JPG

port1b.JPG

Thanks for tuning in

Anil

• Like 42

Fab work. Will you be putting this on fleabay? Be interesting to see how it fairs against the 109 and spit. God clean work, another great build and WIP

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Fab work. Will you be putting this on fleabay? Be interesting to see how it fairs against the 109 and spit. God clean work, another great build and WIP

Will be but not till the other two have gone, decided having too many can dampen the value of others. Kit virtually builds itself and although simplified in some in others its stunning.

17 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Looks good!

Mike.B)

Why thank you Mike! 

Anil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Very nice. Very well painted and the pilot looks good in it.

Respect Greg, have a look at WIP, the boy was motivated, he grabbed the stick and slammed the throttle  with no encouragement from me.

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

A very nice quick build Anil. Good photos too.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart: Building is getting easier, especially the mottling bearing in mind this li'l fella is approx 5 inches long in real life. The photography is something I should up my game in, its a helluva lot of gear and guesswork and I have enough books to learn how to do it properly and even one of Photoshops original beta testers from 1989 ( it was called barneyscan XP then!) as a tutor, you'd think I'd make more of an effort instead banging out random shots and looking for cute cats to snap?

Anil

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

Snap. I'd like a nice dedicated corner for the photos but just don't have the space.

Stuart

Yup I've got one all set up in a corner of a room permanently, even got a couple of full frame DSLRs (though the D850 is back at Nikon getting a new processor apparently). Just need to set aside a few days and learn my way around everything, especially fill in flash, tethered shooting and focus stacking...so much stuff to jam into ones beleaguered brain and these models don't build themselves!

48203524842_a5d4d2ab98_b.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Flawless!

How does the kit compare to the Airfix one (looking at your WIP, Zvezda seems to offer a somewhat better fit)?

Pat

Way better fit, easier build but some simplified details and few panels missing, that said they got the rudder inspection hatch on the port side right. In The panel lines are Tamiya like in their fineness and every thing actually fits, the plastic is lovely hard material thats great to work with as well.. They've done the cannon through the undercarriage brilliantly so can easily paint both the well and cannon barrel separately. The head armour needs thinning and a support rod added and remember the canopy is one piece. 

The "experten" whine about inaccurate wheels etc but for my money this is way better than airfix offering, the snap fit is easy to deal with as I just have a set of 1-2 mm drills handy to open out the holes for dry fitting, you will be stunned at the lack of gaps and seams.

The decals are the only suspect thing, they look a bit transparent but get the Skys sheet for £5.99 and you'll have enough cartograf printed options for a lifetime.

Cheers

Anil

PS I put my money where my mouth and ordered 5 of these as production items!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Cheers Jason, I've decided ultra fine  1/72 mottling is now my thang...

A\nil

I'm glad it's somebody's thang, 'cause it sure is not mine! Scares me to death! I suppose someday I'll get over my primal fear of Luftwaffe mottling, but not this year.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I see Zvezda has made an error in their painting instructions. They have you paint the prop blades flat black, when the proper RLM colour for prop blades is 70 Black-green.

Anil, your build looks great. Nice work on that fuselage mottling.

Chris

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I see Zvezda has made an error in their painting instructions. They have you paint the prop blades flat black, when the proper RLM colour for prop blades is 70 Black-green.

Anil, your build looks great. Nice work on that fuselage mottling.

Chris

Thanks Chris not mine, Mr Surfacer 1500  black primer, them Mr Color C18 RLM 70 with masked spinner in RLM 70 as well. I totally disregard the instructions when painting , there are so many good reference, my go to is usually this:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/references.shtml

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

I'm glad it's somebody's thang, 'cause it sure is not mine! Scares me to death! I suppose someday I'll get over my primal fear of Luftwaffe mottling, but not this year.

Best Regards,

Jason

Two words (and a few random numbers and a letter): Badger Sotar 20/20F

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2