Three questions about GB's

Hello all,

Fairly new member to the forum, so I'm not fully up to speed.  I like the sound of the GB's, its good to have a community goal, share ideas and tips on builds etc.  I did try searching the forums for my answers first, but there's a hell of a lot to read through going back to 2007!!

Firstly, what is the difference between a GB and an STGB, I don't know what the ST stands for and don't know if it is relevant (I was just reading about an upcoming P-51D, frequently referenced as an STGB here that I would be interested in joining).

Secondly, I've got a good idea of the build rules (approved models only in each GB, can't be more than 25% completed at the start of the GB, must have WiP thread running the duration of the build etc), but are there any rules on who can join them?  Can relatively in-experienced modellers such as myself join?  Do you have to be a forum member for a certain amount of time, or have enough posts to your name?

Finally, do the models need to be finished to a certain standard, like historically accurate etc?  I don't mean could I paint a WWII tank metallic lime green for a laugh, but if its actual colour was Army Brown 4 (I made that up, can you tell) and I just got my generic brown and mixed up a close approximation from what I had in my paint collection would that be a valid entry.

Thanks for your time people :)

Paul

• Like 3

Group build covers a broad subject. STGB is a single type focused on on type or one kit.  

Anyone can join even if a build is up and running. 

As for finishes most builds don't allow what if schemes but if the vehicle was an prototype or production variant you're generally good to go. Same goes for colors as long as it looks correct you're good to go.  Now there is a "what if", Sci-fi, Movie/TV Vehicle or character build coming in late September as I'm hosting it, if you're into that sort of models. I hope this answers your questions. 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

First off, welcome to Group Builds!  It's an awesome little community w/in a community.....so much so some of us rarely leave this little corner of BM.  :whistle:

1.  The biggest difference between GB & STGB is the "ST" stands for single-type.  So in a STGB all builds associated w/in are all of a pre-designated type of equipment chosen by the GB host.

2.  The only thing that a person is required to be is willing to take part.  There are builders from all ends of the spectrum, from near beginners to some that could probably be classified as grand masters (I'm definitely not the later).  GBs are a great place to connect w/ other builders that share similar interests, not to mention a great place to pick up pointers and learn about new techniques.

3.  As far as historically accurate, that will be up to each GB host.  Most of the builds are centered around building equipment that served in certain environments, as as such will typically be required to be represented as such.  But I have not run into one that has been so strict as to not allow a build because of the wrong scoop or number of rivets.  Typically as long as the type and markings was in service during the time and area it's usually close enough.  That said, there are sometimes GBs that are a bit more out of the box...but all the details will typically be outlined in each build.  One thing to remember about colors...paint weathers...so a close approximation will always be close enough for a GB.  Whether or not it's close enough for you, that is for you to decide.

Cheers.

• Like 4

In addition to the above replies, there's also Blitzbuild, 24 hours for a build, photos have to show a clock or timepiece. Entertaining and usually over a bank holiday weekend.

As Corsair said, a what-if GB - probably see me there.

and the annual Kick Up The Ar$e GB, to complete a model that's been on the shelf of doom for toooo long.

All very entertaining, and community spirited. And

Welcome to the mad-house.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys.  At least I know I won't be out of my depth if I enter one.  I also didn't know you could enter a GB already in progress, so I'll have a nose around.  Funds are a little tight right now, my wife went back to university to retrain as a midwife and she has one more year left.  But if I can pick up a cheap kit that meets a GB criteria then I'm definitely game to have a go.

• Like 5

That's the spirit.

And it's not a huge deal if you don't finish in time...they won't throw you out.  At least I haven't been tossed out the door yet.  :lol:  Just be active & have fun.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, helios16v said:

That's the spirit.

And it's not a huge deal if you don't finish in time...they won't throw you out.  At least I haven't been tossed out the door yet.  :lol:  Just be active & have fun.

In all honesty, it's not a huge deal if you don't finish! Some people will finish three or more in the time I get no more than one done. I've even brought just for at least two gbs, and overslept and completely missed everything. 

Most hosts will have rule 1 in there; have fun  i thoroughly recommend them

• Like 1

GBs are such a great place to learn too, from history of the real life subjects to techniques. The knowledge on here is so easy to tap into and I have gone from a finger printed melted slathered unfinished mess to at least displayable pieces, solely down to help from the people on here. Was daunting at first, but I can see my progress in my builds from my first GB MiG-25 through to now. Welcome aboard, dive right in and enjoy

• Like 2

Definitely a lot of fun,you get inspired to build kits and manufacturers you wouldn't normally be drawn to and sometimes wonder why you decided

to torture yourself with and watch other people do the same!

• Like 3