1: 8 scale Fokker DR1 (Hachette partwork)

DOUGHNUT

Sorry if this subject has been discussed before.

I have been given a part built example of the big Fokker Triplane.  Wings are complete and all fuselage frames seem to be attached to the magazines,

but struts, undercarriage, wheels, engine are all currently missing.  Have asked the previous owner to look for them.

Question.  Is it worth looking for the missing parts to complete the model ?  Waiting for a reply from the magazine to see if spare parts are available.

It would seem to be a waste just to dump the completed wings and metal parts, anybody have a complete but damaged model needing spares ?

regards Paul

Hi Paul,

if no luck with spares from the magazine,you could always try evilbay as I have seen odd magazines with parts for sale.

Dave.

If all else fails you could do a workshop diorama with it being built. It could end up a more interesting model as a result.

Some 7 years back, I was asked by an old friend to complete this same Hachette kit. Fortunately, he had been pretty meticulous in keeping the issues he had (most) and had done a lot of build work as well. He'd just been tempted to move on to another project. Anyway, since the Triplane is such an evocative WW1 fighter, I persevered and even put a post on BM at the time but haven't been able to unearth it today. One of the big problems I encountered was that many of the smaller parts were in this very brittle alloy (zamaq I think) which dimply disintegrated when treated without kid gloves. I also found that, while the kit could turn into a quite presentable replica of the Dr1, it really lacked accurate detail which I found irritating enough to replace and add to with scratchbuilt bits and pieces. It can be quite rewarding if you persevere but I'm unsure about finding the parts you're apparently lacking. I think I may still have the kit's decals and red film covering somewhere if that's any use.

I've attached a couple of pics of the one I finished which now resides in Spain with the son of the old chap for whom I built it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lots of luck

Paul

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

I have 1 complete set & 1 majority set of this.  I have the Hasegawa Camel & DR.1 built & hanging up.  Built the engine, wheels & fuselage frame of the Hachette set & stuck it all on a shelf to maybe finish 1 day.  Always wanted the Hasegawa SE5 but it fetches far too high a price now.

Now if they would only do a Bulldog or Gladiator.

• Like 1