F166 Spirit of St. Louis - ## FINISHED ##

nimrod54

Not a problem. My brain (such as it is) can't remember important things, like dates and passwords and stuff, but it can remember really important stuff, like how someone made a pretty fair representation of an engine turned finish on a model airyplane 4 years ago. Glad to be of assistance.

• Like 1

I've applied a couple of coats of Tamiya Silver Leaf from a rattle can, once I've added decals and some matt varnish it should be a good representation of doped fabric and gloss on the nose panels will be a nice base for the metal panels. I have also had a test of the wing struts which will need some slight adjustment to improve the fit.

48552119836_5cfc0b83f0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48552120081_3034aab7b9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 12

Is there anything better than a prefect silver finish?... I think not. 

This ticks many boxes John and is well and truly on it's way to becoming another superb Frog GB kit build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a fruitless search of my local Hobbycraft for suitable holographic material to represent the engine turned nose panels, I did some further head-scratching on the easiest way to represent them in 1/72nd scale. My first job was to add some clear gloss to the nose area, then set about adding dots using a Molotow Liquid Chrome marker. It may look a little bright but the decals will cover most of the upper side panels and I am hoping that some satin clear will help tone things down further.

Not 100% but it is the best that I can achieve for a first attempt.

48642632093_21bc5493ab_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48642987806_2fcbb64902_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 14

Now that is clever John. Should look great when decals on etc. If it still needs toning down you could try the trick I used on the mottles for my 410 and 110 - a very well thinned coat of the base silver mostly rubbed off with a dry brush or one with a touch of thinners on. Best done after applying a coat of varnish though to avoid the thinnes taking off your "ink". These Molotow marker pens seem very good.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi John,

what a clever way to represent something really tricky!!!

The illusion is perfect! And isn't modelling an illusion through and through?!

Congrats 

JR

• Like 4

On 29/08/2019 at 19:20, PeterB said:

Now that is clever John. Should look great when decals on etc. If it still needs toning down you could try the trick I used on the mottles for my 410 and 110 - a very well thinned coat of the base silver mostly rubbed off with a dry brush or one with a touch of thinners on. Best done after applying a coat of varnish though to avoid the thinnes taking off your "ink". These Molotow marker pens seem very good.

Thanks Peter, I will use your suggestion of a thinned silver coat if the varnish layers don't work out. The Molotow pens are a recent addition to the armoury after following a build here on BM. I have started to use them for the chrome sections of oleo legs and reflective surfaces of lights and mirrors. As with most paints, thin coats give the most effective results.

On 30/08/2019 at 10:24, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s very effective John and hits the spot beautifully to my eyes. Cannot wait for the next update. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks again Dave. I hope to make a start on the decals this weekend, but with Mrs N on a bit of a decorating roll at the moment, plans for making a start on the next room are underway, so it may be a case of grabbing what time I can between coats.

22 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

what a clever way to represent something really tricky!!!

The illusion is perfect! And isn't modelling an illusion through and through?!

Congrats 

JR

Thankyou very much Jean. Always striving for perfection, I feel that the pattern should have been straighter - but the form of kit patterning in this area has a random look to it, so I guess that if it looks right then that is good enough at this scale. As you rightly point out, modelling is about creating illusions, and overall this part of the illusionists art works for me. 

Cheers.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looking superb John,great job she'll be a real winner.

Thanks for your comment Steve. While Mrs N was out doing the weekly shop this morning, I took some time to add the few kit decals following the advice from @stevehnz using diluted Klear. The decals took some getting off the backing paper but they look to have settled around the rib details really well and I will seal them in with some acrylic varnish when I have the chance.

48654254272_1c8fb9d851_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48654253922_b48a41d3ae_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

As you can see I have had an initial fit of the forward struts and as stated previously the port side will require a slight adjustment to get it to fit.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking very smart! It reminds me of some sort of blind cave salamander without a windscreen...

Regards,

Adrian

:rofl2: It can't have been easy flying with his head stuck out of the side window all the time. :fool:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

:rofl2: It cant have been easy flying with his head stuck out of the side window all the time. :fool:

Going by the windscreen demist in most British built cars of our youth, that was the only way to drive them !

• Haha 4

On 9/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Going by the windscreen demist in most British built cars of our youth, that was the only way to drive them !

What exactly were you up to in the car that generated so much humidity Pat? The biggest problem with my first Mini was that in winter it actually froze on the inside of the windscreen!

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 5

Ah yes 

The days of classic motoring !

My dad had one of those strange car gadgets that people got for Christmas that looked like a 12 volt hairdryer that plugged into the cigarette lighter. I seem to remember it made a lot of noise and no blooming difference what so ever to the windscreen !

Yes I also remember scraping ice off the inside of the windscreen on a regular basis when I drove an old Triumph Herald convertible as my everyday car. The heater appeared to not do anything at all and the fan just got louder as you turned it up. I used to put the map reading light on in the middle of the dashboard when it got really cold, it made no real difference of course but it somehow made you feel better !

cheers Pat

• Haha 6

As you can see in this update, I have added the undercarriage struts and wheels, carried out some further engine turned detailing to the prop spinner, and everything, excluding the metal nose panels and the recently added struts, has had a couple of acrylic matt varnish coats brushed on. The port main struts had to be shortened a little and for the forward one I decided to leave the undercarriage geometry alone, making the required adjustment to section between the wing attachment and undercarriage leg. This and the short struts added between the fuselage and undercarriage need blending in and then a paint touch up. I have also noticed a twist in the tailplane, which had escaped my attention until I had the thing sat on its wheels, so I will have to try softening the glue by steaming the joint and applying some gentle pressure to straighten things up.

48682561721_ea4bb23e87_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48682430071_36e5ed883e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48682089363_429ef3b1c7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

With the final details like tail struts, fuel tank vents and control cables to add, the next update should see this one completed.

• Like 12

Work has continued and I have added the flying control cables to the ailerons, elevators and rudder along with fuel tank vent pipes and the scratch static pipe, so I am calling this one done. This is a lovely little kit and I am really pleased with the way that it has turned out, Here are the final photos of the work done and I will post more in the gallery later.

48717385691_0142dd16f0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48717556492_d9079e6b9f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48717556812_fe2ca2e4ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48717049088_f03e362495_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48717385811_de50a5b117_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for all the comments, advice, tips and encouragement along the way, now it's time to push on with the Lynx.

• Like 10