F166 Spirit of St. Louis - ## FINISHED ##

nimrod54

A metallic marvel. The additional detailing bits are beautifully done and really help finish this kit off. We all knew this would turn out well, but (somehow) you’ve managed to raise the bar yet again. Amazing stuff! 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Superb. 

John 

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Absolutely lovely John, a real gem!

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

A metallic marvel. The additional detailing bits are beautifully done and really help finish this kit off. We all knew this would turn out well, but (somehow) you’ve managed to raise the bar yet again. Amazing stuff! 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave

Thanks for your very kind comments gents, I really appreciate them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Smashing build. I really like the engine panels - the effect is very convincing.

Regards,

Adrian

7 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's a stunner of a build. The turned metal effect looks especially good. 

This GB is really bringing out the hidden potential of quite a few FROG classics

Thankyou for your comments chaps. I wasn't too sure about the engine panels at first, but after applying some satin varnish I think it was toned down enough to look quite effective. I did have @PeterB's suggestion of using a thinned coat of silver to fall back on if the varnish layer didn't work, so I have banked that one for future use.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

Who would have thought that this creaky old Trailblazer (which I say with affection), could be turned into such a thing of beauty?  Congratulations John!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, it's a nice little kit and in the hands of a better modeller could be much improved with some replacement strut material, but I am really happy with the way that it has turned out.

• Like 2

Hi John,

I have to echo the congratulations coming your way from around the globe!

This is a stunning piece of art that you have created, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise!!!

So my friend, please accept all my congratulations from the middle of nowhere.

Can't wait to see what you do to the Lynx!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

I have to echo the congratulations coming your way from around the globe!

This is a stunning piece of art that you have created, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise!!!

So my friend, please accept all my congratulations from the middle of nowhere.

Can't wait to see what you do to the Lynx!

JR

Hi Jean

Thankyou for the really nice comment. Caron doesn't pass comment on my models very often, but even she has said that this one is beautiful, so I realised that I must have turned out a good 'un on this occasion. :lol:

John

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great build buddy. Another gem for the display case. 

Cheers good buddy, unfortunately the cabinet is chocca so this one will be packed away until I can sort out some extra display space.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow that's a great model, cracking work and love the turned effects on the engine surrounds.

All the best

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris. I did briefly consider (and it was very briefly) following the technique in the link that Rob G passed on earlier in the build, but decided that I would have still been trying to perfect the in-scale effect at the end of the GB. I can remember doing some engine turning on a scribing-block, which was one of the tools I had to make as a 1st year apprentice when I started working at Hawker Siddeley many moons ago, but that was the only time that I have had to do anything like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1