Hi,

This is a 1:35 model I finished 1 month ago, the SU-85 tank destroyer. This is Tamiya KIT no. 35072. I made it as movable model. Additional parts are the Friulmodel tracks, towing cable, barrel, engine grill, small PE parts. At the bottom I added a short video how does the model ride.

Constructive criticism is encouraged.

29087_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29092_rd.jpg?lm=1565616525

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg

29541_rd.jpg?lm=1565616996

29091_rd.jpg

29091_rd.jpg?lm=1565616484

29091_rd.jpg

Edited by witjas4
added video
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2019 at 12:36, FrancisGL said:

Very well finished, like me a lot Your style is very similar to mine, I have an SU-85M in the stash, and if I decide to do it someday, it may be very similar. :goodjob:

Cheer mate 👍

12 hours ago, stephen8718 said:

great finishing and weathering on the SU-85. i looks really good. i have that kit on the way to me soon. i built the Tamiya SU-122 a few weeks ago and it was a lovely kit to build.

Thank you for the comments guys.

W

14 hours ago, stephen8718 said:

great finishing and weathering on the SU-85. i looks really good. i have that kit on the way to me soon. i built the Tamiya SU-122 a few weeks ago and it was a lovely kit to build.

I'm looking forward to see your Tamiya SU-122 here.

W

Edited by witjas4

As boys said - very nice weathering.

Just remove all that "rust" from tracks.

Somehow, I think, your fuel barrels, are fixed wrong way.

Filling point should be on the top, not on the side of it.

Guess - what should be on LH side, ended up on RH side :-)

Zig

• Thanks 1

On 12/07/2019 at 10:05, zigster said:

Somehow, I think, your fuel barrels, are fixed wrong way.

I checked my Tamiya T-34s and they are the same way, witjas4 has fitted the fuel barrels how Tamiya show them fitted.  However, when I looked at my Dragon kits they show the filler cap to the top like zigster says.  I will have to check to see who is correct. :hmmm:

When you have fill-in point on the side, you cannot fill your barrel to 100, 90, or whatever %

Look at the handles on those barrels, all my photos show, they are (more or less) "horizontal".

Just a pointers. It can be painted in pink as far as I care.

Z

@Retired Bob

I always recommend double checking kit instructions against photos of the actual thing.

Not everyone is into close reproduction (how about 2%). 

Its up to vitias4, if he rips out his barrels, and try to re-position them & do something about that rust in tracks.

Zig

On 16/07/2019 at 11:19, zigster said:

@Retired Bob

I always recommend double checking kit instructions against photos of the actual thing.

Not everyone is into close reproduction (how about 2%). 

Its up to vitias4, if he rips out his barrels, and try to re-position them & do something about that rust in tracks.

Zig

Hi Zigster. Thank you for the comment and for the suggestions. I've leveled some amount of rust (see replaced photo - back side). I'm not planning reposition of barrels rips cause it little hard and not really necessary for me. As previous users said I've done the model exactly by Tamiya instructions and didn't think that it may be wrong :)

Thanks any way.

Best regards

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nicely done.  What did you use for the engine deck screen? It looks better than most.  

I built the Tamiya SU-85 at least fifteen years ago and it is still just primered and never painted. The first armour kit I built when I got back to modeling thirty years ago was the SU-122 and I wanted to build their T-34s. At the time, the Tamiya SU-85 was out of production, but I eventually found one.

I just finished the Miniart SU-85 last week and it is a wonderful kit, but I was actually surprised when comparing the two how well the old Tamiya kit stacks up.

Great job!

Edited by f matthews
  • Thanks 1

On 08/08/2023 at 19:38, f matthews said:

Very nicely done.  What did you use for the engine deck screen? It looks better than most.  

I built the Tamiya SU-85 at least fifteen years ago and it is still just primered and never painted. The first armour kit I built when I got back to modeling thirty years ago was the SU-122 and I wanted to build their T-34s. At the time, the Tamiya SU-85 was out of production, but I eventually found one.

I just finished the Miniart SU-85 last week and it is a wonderful kit, but I was actually surprised when comparing the two how well the old Tamiya kit stacks up.

Great job!

So when you will publish photos of your SU-85 ? This kit I made 4 years ago, so my skills were much lower back then :)

If you're asking about grid, I just cut the simple flour sieve :D

Edited by witjas4