1/72 Academy Hellcat #2

I have decided to build a second 1/72 Academy Hellcat. Already started to plug the holes for bombs and rockets. (taking time for the filler to settle - I learned about shrinkage from the last build) Opened up the gun barrels and decided to open up the shell eject ports (something I was too scared to do on the first one  😁). May be from familiarity with the build, seems like it is going faster. I finally ordered that book from Amazon, and it is proving to be a wealth of info. Wish I knew about it sooner.

spacer.png

• Like 3

It's a fun build, and relatively quick.  The box says -3/-5 but the kit windscreen isn't right for the -3 Hellcats so I did mine as a Sea Blue -5.  The fin is a little wonky but it's easy to fix or ignore.

For comparison purposes I suggest you try one of Eduard's 1/72 Hellcats, a Weekend Edition if you're put off by lots of etched bits.  They can be had quite cheaply and are a revelation in terms of fit and detail.

2 hours ago, Crane said:

The Academy kits are for practice 😁

spacer.png

They are such beautiful kits, I just got a combo boxing! 

Looking forward to what hat you do with the academy kit!

so when your doing the Eduard kits are they practice for the 1/24 airfix release 😃

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

updates

I did not take any photos of the cockpit because, looking at my first Hellcat, you can't see much anyway. Plus, I have been zipping through the build.

spacer.png

the Eduard mask fits better than expected, this is my first time using any masks besides my own, it is a real time saver

spacer.png

Edited by Crane
  • Like 2

I am still amazed how well the kit goes together. No filler used between fuselage and wings. The Blu Tack on the fin is just to remind me not to get too close to the mast.

spacer.png

Inside the booth, ready for first coats. I cleaned the entire model with a foam swab and 70% isopropyl. Cleanliness is very important.

spacer.png

For the first coat I used MRP white primer. The session went very well. No fuzz or dust and only a few spots need a little more attention (in between the guns). I have a bottle of liquid mask that is about 15 years old and never used. I decided to give it a try, so I took out all the wet paper towel I used initially inside the landing gear bays, painted on the liquid mask and used some of the packaging plastic for the openings.

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 7/8/2019 at 4:59 PM, rob85 said:

They are such beautiful kits, I just got a combo boxing! 

Looking forward to what hat you do with the academy kit!

so when your doing the Eduard kits are they practice for the 1/24 airfix release 😃

Rob

Though I have no room for a model that size, I watched a review on the 1/24 Airfix Hellcat on youtube. The reviewer called the Hellcat a 'niche' product 🤨.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:04 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

It's a fun build, and relatively quick.  The box says -3/-5 but the kit windscreen isn't right for the -3 Hellcats so I did mine as a Sea Blue -5.  The fin is a little wonky but it's easy to fix or ignore.

For comparison purposes I suggest you try one of Eduard's 1/72 Hellcats, a Weekend Edition if you're put off by lots of etched bits.  They can be had quite cheaply and are a revelation in terms of fit and detail.

I chose to ignore the fin. What bothers me the most is the thick harness that holds the eft.

• 2 weeks later...

It may not look like much, but I'm on to painting the fuselage/wings. Having some fun with pre-shading.

spacer.png

This is the first time I tried adding some paint to the horizontal fin BEFORE adding the stabilizers. I learned it is a difficult area to paint once the stabilizers are on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

good day today!   I was afraid another top coat would be overall too dark. Soooooo....I mixed MRP Super Clear with about 3 drops of my top coat color. It added a little shine and an overall blending.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Decaled and clear coated.

I still need lots of practice clear coating. Someone could make millions making a clear gloss paint that is easy to use.

I created the thin white line decal from scraps of extra decals.

spacer.png 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran in to a small issue. The '5' decals on the landing gear covers (C10 and C11) were partially obscured by the wing when put into place. I did not have this issue on the first Hellcat build (maybe I placed the decals lower?) . It was easy enough to fix though, I built up the area where the covers are attached. I checked my Eduard kits and the gear covers are longer.

spacer.png

I had to work last weekend, but managed a little headway. Landing gear and an overall semi-gloss coat are finished.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've been working too much, but I have this week off. This is probably the last update before going into the completed section. A setback cost me some time when I discovered tons of 'dust'?? inside the canopy after pulling off the mask. I had to open it up and clean everything out. At that point, I realized the F3 canopy fit much better, so I went with it.

spacer.png

• Like 3