Indian Air Force Tipnis Grey

haroldk

Hello,

I am building an Indian Air Force Jaguar IM kit in 1/72. What I am after is the colour called Tipnis grey. I had a gent on another forum respond and says its close to Humbrol Hu127 and FS36275. Problem is I cannot find an FS 36275. I have a FS 36375, but am not 100% sure if it was a typo.

I have access to Model Master, Vallejo, Tamiya, Mr. Color paints as well as a few more. 

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Harold 

Vancouver, Canada

Edited by haroldk
mistyped

Doing a bit of Google-fu it seems "Tipnis Gray" is the new monochromatic gray being adopted for various Indian combat types. The name apparently comes from the former Chief of the Air Staff who reportedly selected the color.

It's hard, if not impossible, to judge accurately from photos alone, but I suspect the FS595 color match may be closer to 36270 (commonly referred to as Neutral Gray) rather than 36375 (Light Ghost Gray = Humbrol 127).  There's not an exact Humbrol match for 36270 but Tamiya XF-20 or XF-53 are close equivalents.

21 hours ago, haroldk said:

I am building an Indian Air Force Jaguar IM kit in 1/72. What I am after is the colour called Tipnis grey. I had a gent on another forum respond and says its close to Humbrol Hu127 and FS36275. Problem is I cannot find an FS 36275. I have a FS 36375, but am not 100% sure if it was a typo.

One chap who may well know is @Linescriber  this should give him notification.   

PS @nubrawarriors may know as well.

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

It's hard, if not impossible, to judge accurately from photos alone, but I suspect the FS595 color match may be closer to 36270 (commonly referred to as Neutral Gray) rather than 36375 (Light Ghost Gray = Humbrol 127).  There's not an exact Humbrol match for 36270 but Tamiya XF-20 or XF-53 are close equivalents.

Ah, the elusive IAF 'Tipnis Grey' ... which appears to look different in every photo one looks at!

For what it is worth, I went for Xtracolour FS 36270 Neutral Gray for my IAF Hawk and, with the same light and background, it still looks different in the two photos below

11a7e61b-fe9d-4cd5-bd21-b6d4c7b464da.jpg

79dca1f2-8c03-4813-9c26-572405620b35.jpg

Edited by Vultures1
Add photos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...