Ark Royal circa 1587.

PS. We can see the remains of the previous art work. We know why, but anyone else seeing it will think its the other side showing through! a benefit of the repaint

• Haha 1

On 30/06/2020 at 18:26, Black Knight said:

As for the crew, almost all, including the officers went bare footed and bare legged up to the knee almost all the time at sea. Although you may wish to give your h'officers boots and shoes

Thank you, @Black Knight.

I've prepared the crew ready for boarding ship tomorrow. Remember they are only 1/2" high so look pretty sloppy when photographed so close up.

The crew came in a pack of 25 from Cornwall Model Boats. for around 2.00 GBP.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

The injection moulded figures needed some cleaning up by trimming off the moulding pip and scraping along the seams with a pointy scalpel.

Also, I was not too certain whether the handbag and skirts were appropriate naval attire for the time, so pared these away as well. As you can see above, pack includes rather a large number of young midshipmen plus a couple of zombies.

spacer.png

Shrinkage dimples were filled with Mr Dissolved Putty. Attempts were made to add breeches, headgear and other items of clothing using epoxy putty, but I found it difficult at such a small size and the results were unconvincing.

I painted them up following images I found searching on the internet for "Elizabethan Sea Dogs" and "Elizabethan sailors". I found a super illustration of Lord Howard with squadron commanders Drake, Hawkins and Rayleigh and used these as a basis for my officers. Such amazing heroes - I must take some time to learn more about them.

Anyway, here are the painted items........

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll add a sword to the officer's belts.

Any comments would be most welcome. And thank you all for your comments, advice and likes so far, I most appreciate them :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 9

On 06/07/2020 at 20:13, Black Knight said:

They look just mighty excellent so they do.

They'll add life to the sterile environment of a Mary Celeste

Thank you, @Black Knight. The crew are now on board......

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the crew now on board and a few more runs of rigging added, I can now - after more than a year from starting - declare the model complete.

My enormous thanks to all who helped me along the way with your information, guidance, words of support and "likes"  :thumbsup:. It has been a really interesting and absorbing project and I have learnt an enormous amount from you. Here are a couple of photos of the final result, I'll post more in an RFI post in due course......

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm off to celebrate now! 🍾

Having done a subject from one great battle, I fancy doing something from the Battle of Britain now. Time to go rummaging through the stash - something I have been looking forward to doing for months!

Cheers,

Pat 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Truly a most magnificent build

1 hour ago, patmaquette said:

. . .

Having done a subject from one great battle, I fancy doing something from the Battle of Britain now. Time to go rummaging through the stash - something I have been looking forward to doing for months!

. . . 

Maybe not a Gloster Gladiator !

I reckon you've done enough rigging for a lifetime of modelling  :P :lol:

• Haha 2

We shall of course require photos of this when its put on display in the museum.

But, please ensure its not placed in direct sunlight. 

Direct sunlight can eventually make polystyrene plastic go very brittle

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

We shall of course require photos of this when its put on display in the museum.

But, please ensure its not placed in direct sunlight. 

Direct sunlight can eventually make polystyrene plastic go very brittle

It will be my pleasure 👍.

The room is artificially lit so will be fine. The museum also minimises direct sunlight anyway, as they have many displays that may fade or discolour in natural light.

Thanks also for bookmarking the thread for a future build of your own. I had great fun building this kit and I'm sure you'll find likewise. I have some cannon castings left over if you would like some!

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 2

Little more than can be said, other than to applaud long & loud and to say that I’ve enjoyed every minute of this build.  I’ll miss it.

She looks utterly superb.

• Thanks 1

one more thing. may I suggest you get a little brass plaque engraved and put up with this?

I've not used either of these engravers yet but at their prices. . . . 

1.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGRAVED-TROPHY-PLATES-METAL-NAME-PLAQUES-LABELS-ENGRAVED-FREE/172825437453?var=471607531373

2.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISPLAY-CASE-PLAQUES-ENGRAVED-VARIOUS-COLOURS-VARIOUS-SIZES-AVAILABLE/152141093903?var=451337197911

• Thanks 1

Dear Pat the paintbrush guru, there are not enough words...............................its been an absolute joy to follow this, and an absolute inspiration !

Like Crisp, I'm going to miss this thread !

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely first class build if I may say so and thank you for for opening my eyes to the intricacies of 15th/16th century rigging!  That hand painted flag is insane - prime candidate for printing a decal I would have said but you made it look so easy.

You must let us all know when it is on display at Exeter.  Despite it only being 30 mins or so from where my in-laws used to live, I've never been to the maritime museum there so this would be a suitable trigger for a day out when lockdown finally relaxes fully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You must let us all know when it is on display at Exeter.  Despite it only being 30 mins or so from where my in-laws used to live, I've never been to the maritime museum there so this would be a suitable trigger for a day out when lockdown finally relaxes fully.

Thank you for your kind words, @Chewbacca and I'll be sure to let you know when the museum re-opens with the model on display. The museum in Budleigh Salterton covers various areas of local interest that include the likes of Rayleigh, Drake and travel to the New World. It has a few galleon models on display, but is way short of being a maritime museum (unfortunately 😢). Please let me know when you visit - maybe we can enjoy a cream tea together!

Pat

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 23:14, Black Knight said:

one more thing. may I suggest you get a little brass plaque engraved and put up with this?

I've not used either of these engravers yet but at their prices. . . . 

1.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGRAVED-TROPHY-PLATES-METAL-NAME-PLAQUES-LABELS-ENGRAVED-FREE/172825437453?var=471607531373

2.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISPLAY-CASE-PLAQUES-ENGRAVED-VARIOUS-COLOURS-VARIOUS-SIZES-AVAILABLE/152141093903?var=451337197911

Thank you @Black Knight, I have gone ahead and ordered a plaque. 👍

Pat

• Like 1