Ark Royal circa 1587.

On 25/10/2019 at 06:49, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Pat, I really like the work you've done on the turrets. Other than being white they look to me to be an integral part of the kit. Your rails look very good too. Regards, Jeff.

Many thanks for your comment Jeff.

I was given another book on rigging yesterday and this one has a chapter on lateen masts. I'll take a quick look at iit today to decide on the pin rails before laying some primer onto the new additions,

All the best,

Pat

Hi all,

I've slapped some paint onto the new stern turrets and the strakes that run from stem to stern along the upper hull sides. Different tones of sand and wood coloured acrylics were used for each plank to avoid having a uniform look. The strakes were treated as a series of planks, rather than a single piece of the same colour. A wash of GW Seraphim Sepia mixed in equal measure with W&N Flow Improver was brushed over the surfaces until they matched the tone of the deck painted earlier. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm pleased to report that the modelling mojo has returned and I am very much enjoying myself with this build. 

My next step will be to paint the detail on the transom.

Thanks for looking - all comments appreciated!

Pat

• Like 6

Hi all,

I decided to paint the transom first as it has a lot of detail to be painted. This would need the hull to be given a lot of handling, so thought it best to do so before the sides were painted. I popped the hull into a bubble wrap bottle bag which made it a lot easier to handle....

spacer.png

Work has started on Elizabeth I coat of arms....

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have yet to summon up the courage to add some script onto the white areas!

The three windows were painted blue-grey to start with...

spacer.png

They were then given a wash with a dark shade ink. The upper 2/3rds were then painted over with the blue grey once again to leave a shadow effect along the bottom.The window has raised detail of diamond shaped glass panes. The bottom point of each of these was given a dark dot of Paynes Grey and the top point given a highlight of Paynes Grey mixed with iridescent white. I'm quite pleased with how these have come out, although some tidying up (mainly from my sloppy use of washes - I can't get the hang of these!) will be needed before I can call it complete.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work has now progressed onto the coloured designs that run around the upper half of the hull and bulkheads. These are being brush painted as they would be really difficult to mask. However, first results are not so good so some more trials are needed before I continue - I'll post some notes about this shortly.

Many thanks for looking and your interest.

Cheers,

Pat

Edited by patmaquette
  • Like 18

Recently I found my old copy of a book about the 1588 Armada.

In it is the drawing of the 'Ark Royal' with the two turrets each side of the main weather deck but also there is a repro of a painting of 'The Armada'. Although its not identified as such one ship would seem to be the Ark Royal and it has what looks like turrets low down, near level with the doors from the gallery

I'm not sure if we've seen this painting before - ~I've lost track

PS. I forgot to say that the painting of the gallery stern windows is very effective

• Thanks 1

Upon request of Pat I present the illustrations mentioned above

These are in a book which was the official guide book for the 1988 Armada Exhibition in Belfast's Ulster Museum. Which I may say holds the largest collection of Armada artifacts of anywhere in the world.

I think we may have seen these before but Pat asked for me to post them

1st: a drawing supposedly of Ark Royal

Ark%20Royal%2C%2001-L.jpg

1a: if it is Ark Royal, we are looking at 4 pairs of turrets

Ark%20Royal%2C%2001a-L.jpg

2. a section of a painting from an unknown artist.  I made the selection. Flying the Royal Arms at the main mast, Two heraldic achievements ('coat of arms' to youse lot) can just be made out on the transom.  Two turrets (one each side of the hull), shaped like McDonalds short ice cream cones can be seen low down, just about where the Gallery balcony is. Are there more turrets hidden in gloom of the unrestored painting?  Is this Ark Royal?

Ark%20Royal%2C%2002-XL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/11/2019 at 18:42, Black Knight said:

Recently I found my old copy of a book about the 1588 Armada.

In it is the drawing of the 'Ark Royal' with the two turrets each side of the main weather deck but also there is a repro of a painting of 'The Armada'. Although its not identified as such one ship would seem to be the Ark Royal and it has what looks like turrets low down, near level with the doors from the gallery

I'm not sure if we've seen this painting before - ~I've lost track

PS. I forgot to say that the painting of the gallery stern windows is very effective

My enormous thanks to you once again Black Knight, not only for the illustrations & mark-ups, but also about the heraldry. 

Yes, we have seen the first illustration before, it is the one by Visschler. However, I haven't seen the second one and the ship certainly looks grand. I like the red trim around the quarter deck and the decorative top armings - I may need to add these to cover my rigging knots if they end up untidy on my model!

The McDonalds Scottish half turret looks very curious. I can't make out one - or at least I can't make out the roof of one - on the starboard side, though. I wonder why? The ship seems to have two gun decks which I hope is not correct! The artist has omitted two of the masts.

Certainly an interesting picture which again points to Ark Royal having some turret features unlike her contemporaries.

The decorative markings along the hull of my model are coming along okay and I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments about the build. It's certainly been an enjoyable one up to now - hopefully it will stay that way!

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 1

You're doing just a very grand job.

a. NO-ONE can say for certain what Ark Royal looked like. Its a bit like the child in Sunday School drawing a picture. Asked by the teacher 'What are you drawing?' the child replies 'I'm drawing a picture of God'  'But no-one knows what God looks like' says the teacher 'They will when when I'm finished' says the child.

Your interpretation is as good as anyones.

b. these ships were rebuilt and up-dated frequently. Look how many times the Mary Rose and HMS Victory were rebuilt during their working lives. Who will gainsay that Ark Royal looked like your version?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for your kind comments and support everyone!

Here is the progress to date with the patterned stripes along the sides of the hull. The colours for the bands are taken from one of the illustrations in the Matthew Baker manuscript. Airfix had thoughtfully put raised lines for the triangular pattern into the mouldings and these helped guide the brush.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found problems getting a uniform finish when brush painting the Vallejo paints (70.857 Golden olive, 70.909 Vermillion & 70.916 Sand Yellow). They are fairly transparent and the excess wash applied earlier to the wales kept showing through the paint film. This was solved by brushing on an undercoat of heavy body acrylic paint: a mix of Golden titanium white and yellow ochre did the trick. It nevertheless took a lot of work to apply the finishing colours and the result is not as good as it would have been if airbrushed. If only I had Ex-FAAWAFU (Crisp's) patience and skill with masking!

There are more stripes to do - I am around a third of the way through. It is probably the most tedious task so far!

Cheers for now,

Pat

PS: can someone tell me how to link to a username? I could not figure out how to do Ex-FAAWAFU.

• Like 9

On 11/7/2019 at 8:01 PM, patmaquette said:

PS: can someone tell me how to link to a username? I could not figure out how to do Ex-FAAWAFU.

Put an @ sign in front of the name: @patmaquette

If I had your steady hand with a paintbrush, I wouldn’t need to faff about with masks!  She looks lovely.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 07:01, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Put an @ sign in front of the name: @patmaquette

Thank you Crisp, much appreciated!

On 07/11/2019 at 21:32, Courageous said:

Looking really colourful Pat.

On 11/11/2019 at 07:01, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

She looks lovely.

Thank you both!

Painting the decorative patterns along the hull sides and bulkheads is taking an age. The bulkheads are being painted separately from the hull assembly as they need detail painting that would be impossible to do in-situ. The deck has not been glued to the hull sides yet so this allows me to spring the bulkheads into place and then remove them as I wish.

The rose moulded around the bulkhead musket loops were first outlined in Hull Red 70.985 and shaded Scale 75 SC-14 Kalahari orange. The musket loop holes were painted black grey using a microbrush. 

spacer.png

The petals were picked out in 70.908 Carmine Red (leaving Kalahari orange) in shaded areas. The leaves were shaded 70.980 Black Green and highlighted 70.857 Golden Olive. The inner circle of petals were picked out with Golden heavy body titanium white.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The first stripes painted were the red & green and green & cream triangular patterns mentioned in the previous message. The colours and design were copied from the Matthew Baker manuscript. 

I then added a red and green rectangular pattern with white diamonds spaced along. I came up with this as being a mixture of Sir Walter Rayleigh's coat of arms (white diamonds on the red background) and the green + white Tudor colours.

spacer.png

I selected black and white (colours used on Revenge) for the stripes along the quarter deck bulwark.

I spent quite a while thinking about the designs and colours for the lower stripe, beak (prow) and poop deck sides. As well as the colours already used, remaining colours from the 16th century palette are russet, bice (a bluish green), brown, verdigris & aneral (ashen grey). I selected russet ( Scale 75 SC14 Kalahari Orange) and "bice" (for which I selected US Navy blue/grey after some Googling for colour images of the pigment) for the lowest stripe that runs from the beak of the ship to the stern. Many illustrations I have seen have the beak (prow area) painted a completely different colour to the hull. This looks wrong to me, so I shall extend the cream/green triangle pattern stripe onto to top half of the beak and paint the lower half russet. There will be gilt painted tendrils over the russet area. I then elected to paint the poop deck bulwarks russet & black triangular design (photos to follow, but I'm not happy with how it looks and so may redo this area).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is still some more detail work to paint, plus a pin wash before I can glue everything into place. That will be a useful milestone to reach.

Thank you for looking and all comments will be welcomed,

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2019 at 22:29, patmaquette said:

Thank you Crisp, much appreciated!

Thank you both!

Painting the decorative patterns along the hull sides and bulkheads is taking an age. The bulkheads are being painted separately from the hull assembly as they need detail painting that would be impossible to do in-situ. The deck has not been glued to the hull sides yet so this allows me to spring the bulkheads into place and then remove them as I wish.

The rose moulded around the bulkhead musket loops were first outlined in Hull Red 70.985 and shaded Scale 75 SC-14 Kalahari orange. The musket loop holes were painted black grey using a microbrush. 

spacer.png

The petals were picked out in 70.908 Carmine Red (leaving Kalahari orange) in shaded areas. The leaves were shaded 70.980 Black Green and highlighted 70.857 Golden Olive. The inner circle of petals were picked out with Golden heavy body titanium white.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The first stripes painted were the red & green and green & cream triangular patterns mentioned in the previous message. The colours and design were copied from the Matthew Baker manuscript. 

I then added a red and green rectangular pattern with white diamonds spaced along. I came up with this as being a mixture of Sir Walter Rayleigh's coat of arms (white diamonds on the red background) and the green + white Tudor colours.

spacer.png

I selected black and white (colours used on Revenge) for the stripes along the quarter deck bulwark.

I spent quite a while thinking about the designs and colours for the lower stripe, beak (prow) and poop deck sides. As well as the colours already used, remaining colours from the 16th century palette are russet, bice (a bluish green), brown, verdigris & aneral (ashen grey). I selected russet ( Scale 75 SC14 Kalahari Orange) and "bice" (for which I selected US Navy blue/grey after some Googling for colour images of the pigment) for the lowest stripe that runs from the beak of the ship to the stern. Many illustrations I have seen have the beak (prow area) painted a completely different colour to the hull. This looks wrong to me, so I shall extend the cream/green triangle pattern stripe onto to top half of the beak and paint the lower half russet. There will be gilt painted tendrils over the russet area. I then elected to paint the poop deck bulwarks russet & black triangular design (photos to follow, but I'm not happy with how it looks and so may redo this area).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is still some more detail work to paint, plus a pin wash before I can glue everything into place. That will be a useful milestone to reach.

Thank you for looking and all comments will be welcomed,

Cheers,

Pat

Hi nice paint job you have done I am new to modelling can you tell me what  is a pin wash is

Jim

• Like 1

On 27/11/2019 at 07:16, Courageous said:

Fantastic detailed paintwork. Nice to see the paints you're using too.

Stuart

On 28/11/2019 at 14:15, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Pat, it's a very intricate and colourful paint job you've done there. It makes some of my WW2 dazzle camo look positively bland. I think your deck painting is very good too. Regards, Jeff.

9 hours ago, Jim Bates said:

Hi nice paint job you have done I am new to modelling can you tell me what  is a pin wash is

Jim

Many thanks for your kind comments, chaps. Welcome to the hobby, Jim, and I hope you find it most enjoyable.

A pin wash is where you pick out details in the parts by applying a very diluted colour by means of a fine brush. You can buy washes (I like the Games Workshop ones) or mix your own. I gloss coat the parts before applying the wash - if you leave it matt you will get "tide marks" showing. There is certain to be something on You-Tube to show you the way.

Here (photos enlarged to an embarrassing extent!) are the completed bulkheads after being given a pin wash with "Seraphim Sepia" diluted in equal measure with water over a gloss coat of Johnson's Klear......

Fo'c's'le bulkhead & bulwark rails were given a red-striped decal and sealed with Klear before the wash...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see the repair made to this bulkhead at the top right. The plastic is very brittle and very easily broken.....

spacer.png

You may have noticed that I painted some crowns on the door frames.

The next job was to detail paint the half-dozen deck gratings....

spacer.png

spacer.png

A couple of applications of "Nuln Oil" diluted in equal measure with water was applied to shade the holes.....

spacer.png

Individual timbers were picked out using various sand coloured paints (here again you can see another bit of damage, this time to the bulwark)......

spacer.png

The same was done for the latticework on the prow. The tones were then harmonised by airbrushing a dilute mix of Seraphim Sepia.....

spacer.png

A loose mask was used to add a shadow effect down each side of the latticework....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With all that work completed, the bulkheads were glued into place and the decks glued to the hull sides. This is the current state of progress.......

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many thanks for looking. As always, your thoughts and comments are most appreciated!

Cheers,

Pat

Edited by patmaquette
  • Like 13

I'm now moving on to fit out the decks. My club (IPMS Exeter) have kindly lent me some 2-part silicone RTV to try out for the cannon carriages. This will be my first time of using this stuff and I thought I would also see if I can improve on the cannons I made with epoxy putty in Blue Stuff moulds.

As I have already made the masters for the cannons, all I need to do is hold them in place for the moulds to be poured. I made up a tray arrangement for the cannons - I will pour the silicone into the the right side of this and it will hopefully flow all around them, including the muzzle. I hope then to be able to pull each cannon out of the mould. Casting will be done with the mould stood up on its end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have also made masters for the 6-pdr saker carriages on the half deck (I will need four of these) and 18-pdr culverin on the main deck (I will need eight of these). I used this drawing as a basis.....

spacer.png

....but had to reduce the height for the 18-pdr carriages so the guns would fit through the ports.

The sides were made from Evergreen strip planks cut long enough to make two sides plus an allowance for cutting. These were laid side-on onto low tack tape (to hold them in place) and staggered so the planked sides were stepped. These were given a brush of Tamiya liquid cement and lightly held between a pair of steel rulers to press them together and keep everything straight whilst the glue set......

spacer.png

spacer.png

The sides were then cut to length.  

The carriage bases were marked out on plasticard and then the sides glued in position.

spacer.png

I did the fiddly work of adding clamp plates for the trunnions (Capsquares) and some bolt heads before cutting and finishing the base to size - this made it easier to handle and align things.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I made a support for the cannon from a rectangle of plasticard. As my cannons do not include the trunnion spigots, I represented these by rounding off the top of the support. The trunnion support started by drilling a hole of the cannon diameter into a scrap of plasticard. Measurements were made from the hole so that the support would hold the cannon centrally and at the right height in the carriage. A little bit of wriggling was needed to get the trunnions just right before setting in place with glue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wedges (quoins) to set the elevation of the cannon were fashioned from plastic section for the 6-pdr and a bit of resin moulding stub for the 18-pdr.

The carriages quickly tried in position.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Masters for the wheels were turned in a lathe. The front ones (fore trucks) are slightly larger than the rear ones (hind trucks). A stub for the axles was included. An iron ring and lynch pin are fitted on the real thing (to support the axle and keep the trucks in place), but I will use paint to represent these rather than attempt making something. I made them wider than needed and will file the cast parts to size (I made an indent as a guide) when the time comes to assemble them to the carriage bodies.

spacer.png

Everything is now ready for moulds to be taken. I intend to use "Tacky Wax" to temporarily hold/seal the masters in place for the moulds to be cast.

spacer.png

Thanks for tuning in and best wishes to all for Xmas,

Pat

Edited by patmaquette
  • Like 7