Another 1/48th Airfix Spitfire XIV

My latest project is the new Airfix Spitfire XIV. Built pretty much straight from the box except for some Eduard exhausts, wheels, seat belts and just for the hell of it one of their new 'look' instrument panels which is VERY nice... Oh, and decals from a fairly old Xtradecal sheet.

Mine didn't suffer from any of the short shot problems discussed on here and was nicely moulded throughout. The fit was also quite acceptable and I encountered no problems during the build.

Thanks for looking.

48182506432_71e55ffc45_b.jpg20190702_202606

48182440581_bda4a12f80_b.jpg20190702_202355

48182439301_5712daf1fe_b.jpg20190702_202450

48182437986_e343d1c980_b.jpg20190702_202532

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 41

That is one beautiful XIV! Bonus points to the erks who have obviously wiped away any trace of oil  that seemed to always leak from the fittings, pipes, and oil cooler. The underwing roundels are very well done, as well. Now if Airfix will grace the rest of us with a 1/72 example, we can  finally have a decent XIV and XVIII!. 👍

Mike 

• Like 1

@keithjs - if you don't mind sharing, where did you get the information on the 28 Sqn Spitfire?  

I am working on a long term project building one of every 28 Sq aircraft since formation of the squadron but having trouble researching anything about the Spitfires (& Hurricanes)

very nicely done!

Edited by hendie

9 hours ago, hendie said:

@keithjs - if you don't mind sharing, where did you get the information on the 28 Sqn Spitfire?  

I am working on a long term project building one of every 28 Sq aircraft since formation of the squadron but having trouble researching anything about the Spitfires (& Hurricanes)

very nicely done!

Thank you both for your comments. I've also told the erks not to be so efficient and some oil has appeared on some pipework, access panels and the oil cooler......

The only info I could find was obviously the decal sheet which also refers the modeller to photos in the RAF Squadrons book but I couldn't find them on the page they mention and these 2 threads on BM.  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039224-spitfire-xiv-nh926-help/

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/147618-looking-for-mk-xiv-spit-markings-out-of-the-ordinary?144149-Looking-For-Mk-XIV-Spit-Markings-Out-Of-The-Ordinary=

Edited by keithjs

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and proper Mk XIV!

The black emphasis on the dorsal panel joints and on the leading edge of the horisontal tail looks a bit superfluous, though.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you. Those lines actually look worse in the photo than they actually are but I will tone them down. Thanks for the advice.

• 3 years later...

If this is just another Spitfire, then bring on more of the same as it is well build, well painted and the presentation with the Squadron emblem is both simple and effective.  Thanks for sharing.