Airfix 1:72 Phantom FGR.2

Airfix Phantom FGR.2 1:72

DSC-0012-copy.jpg

Hi everyone!

Some of you might remember my Airfix Phantom FG.1 build from over a year ago. Well, since I enjoyed that one so much, it was a no-brainer to build an RAF jet when Airfix unveiled their FGR.2 kit.

As always with newer Airfix kits, it's generally a really enjoyable build; great quality (and numerous!) decals, great mould quality and a novel construction!

However the kit is not without its flaws: the nose should really be moulded as a single part (as seen with Revell's 1:72 Tornado, for example) to avoid seam lines, the canopy mid-section should really have a spare part with the periscope "orifice" already pre-cut (I kept making a pig's breakfast of it, as the periscope would mean that the canopy wouldn't sit flush in-line with the cockpit walls. Those instrument panel decals that are included should ideally be made less "basic" or a moulded instrument panel should be provided (again, see the Revell Tornado kit for how it could be done).

I had a set of decals (Xtradecal "The history of RAF 19 Squadron") with a particular blue-tailed scheme for an FGR2 which really appealed to me. For this build I used my trusty supply of Vallejo Model Air paints, along with a brown weathering wash from Flory Models (my first attempt at using a brown wash instead of my normal black wash.

DSC-0003.jpg

DSC-0005.jpg

DSC-0006.jpg

DSC-0010.jpg

DSC-0013.jpg

DSC-0017.jpg

DSC-0022.jpg

DSC-0025.jpg

DSC-0027.jpg

DSC-0028.jpg

I just couldn't resist taking a few snaps alongside the Phantom FG.1

DSC-0031.jpg

DSC-0032.jpg

DSC-0034.jpg

DSC-0036.jpg

DSC-0037.jpg

As always, thank you ever so much for dropping by and having a look!

Best wishes,

Sam

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, NorbertBu said:

I love Phantoms! Both look very nice. Has Airfix provided a decal to correct the missing air vents above and below the intakes? Or did you make them?

greetings,

Norbert

Ah rats.... I was hoping that someone wasn't going to bring this up.... 😅

In a nutshell, yes. Yes, they do supply the air vents as decals... however..... the eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed that they've been applied the wrong way (the ones on the top should be on the underside, and vice versa, according to the instructions). I can't remember whether this was simply "operator error" or an issue with the decal placement guide, but it's definitely something to watch out for with this kit.

Best wishes,

Sam

Nice Phantom, great work. You picked the best squadron for the markings too!

19(F) were an air defence squadron, you could do with removing the bombs and the CBTE they are loaded on. The strike camera pod in the forward missile well was not used either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Nice Phantom, great work. You picked the best squadron for the markings too!

19(F) were an air defence squadron, you could do with removing the bombs and the CBTE they are loaded on. The strike camera pod in the forward missile well was not used either.

Thank you :)

I defer to your expertise with this. My reasoning for throwing everything (bombs and camera) on was purely, I'll be quite honest, for aesthetic reasons- I've got a few Tornados, Harriers and Eurofighters on my shelf with little in the way of weaponry on them, so I thought it was time to add some munitions to the mix!

Best wishes,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Ah rats.... I was hoping that someone wasn't going to bring this up.... 😅

In a nutshell, yes. Yes, they do supply the air vents as decals... however..... the eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed that they've been applied the wrong way (the ones on the top should be on the underside, and vice versa, according to the instructions). I can't remember whether this was simply "operator error" or an issue with the decal placement guide, but it's definitely something to watch out for with this kit.

Best wishes,

Sam

It is definitely an issue with the decal placement guide as I had the same issue. I did contact Airfix about that and another issue with the 2 Sqn rece pod decals and they said it would be sorted in the next production run (they lied glibly!).

• Sad 1

Phabulous. I'm sorry us Phantom phans must always use the ph. Particularly since as young naive enthusiast I entertained the phantasy of being a Phantom pilot one day. 

Great Job on the kit 

Brilliant results on both Phantoms, FG.1 and FGR.2!

I'm not a "Phantom Phreak" but I admire your knowledge about matters such as intakes and numerous other details.

Extremely well done.

:clap:

15 hours ago, noelh said:

Phabulous. I'm sorry us Phantom phans must always use the ph. Particularly since as young naive enthusiast I entertained the phantasy of being a Phantom pilot one day. 

Great Job on the kit 

Me too, but I phailed miserably :)

• Haha 1