Classic Revell-o-gram GB Chat

This should be a very interesting Group Build judging by some of the kits shown so far. I have a real soft spot for the old Revell and Monogram kits so I took a look in the stash today to see what I could find.

Starting with the Revell 'The History Makers' kits issued in the early 80's, I think 1982 and 1983, and I purchased quite a few from my local hobby shop. All these get taken out at least once a year, dreamed about, then put back in store again. My favourite is the Bomarc IM-99 and one day I WILL build it!

52043030423_38b36d37b0_o.jpg20220501_135504 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Fast forward to this century, Revell issued a number of old classic under the 'Revell Classics' label, being a "limited edition of 5000 pieces". These were stocked by Modelzone and frequently ended up being reduced to half price. If I were to participate in this build I would probably make the Northrop Hawk which originated in the 1950's under the Renwal  label. It just looks so... Fifties!

52043488955_662d84ed46_o.jpg20220501_134237 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I also like the old Revell ship kits, I have made the 1:460 Guided missile cruiser USS Long Beach as well as the 1:570 RMS Titanic and I have these two sat in the stash.

52042978391_a479803666_o.jpg20220501_134347 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Some more oldies which I found lurking in various places. I got the 'History Makers' Corporal Missile kit in a model shop in Minneapolis, MN, and paid $20 USD for it. Sadly the original decals are missing but it is quite a kit. It was originally released in 1955.

52042978386_62ff913111_o.jpg20220501_134729 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

And a few more aircraft, I think the Tradewind was a fairly recent re-issue of a very old kit. The 1:91 Convair B-58 Hustler is my oldest kit and was the start of my stash, I was still at school when it was issued in 1976 although the original issue was 1957 when the Hustler was by far the hottest new plane on the block!

52043030348_dfa5775694_o.jpg20220501_135543 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Michael

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

This should be a very interesting Group Build judging by some of the kits shown so far. I have a real soft spot for the old Revell and Monogram kits so I took a look in the stash today to see what I could find.

There are some wonderful choices there! :thumbsup:     I think my favourite would be the B-58 Hustler.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think my favourite would be the B-58 Hustler.

Further research shows that the Revell kit is 1/91 scale issued in 1957. 

Monogram also released their own kit the following year, in 1/121 scale. 

:hmmm:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Starting with the Revell 'The History Makers' kits issued in the early 80's, I think 1982 and 1983, and I purchased quite a few from my local hobby shop. All these get taken out at least once a year, dreamed about, then put back in store again. My favourite is the Bomarc IM-99 and one day I WILL build it!

52043030423_38b36d37b0_o.jpg20220501_135504 by Ghostbase, on

Can I say just how jealous I am, Id love to build at least 4 or maybe all 6 of these. My favorites are Regulus, Snark, P6M, and the Hercules. My uncle was a crewman on a Hercules Battery defending Boston Mass. before he went to Vietnam. Id love to build it as part of my families collection. 

• Like 2

Wow Michael what a collection!

My heart started pounding at the Hurricane I must have tried a hundred times to get one since stupidly not grabbing an example for a mere eight quid at a model show a couple of years back!!!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, airfixpeter said:

Just found this one In a collectors shop and I will be definitely entering it. spacer.png

Oh dear! I remewmber this from back in the day and now realise what a young fogey I was; I was dismayed by the lack of authenticity! How dare anyone have fun in their hobby!! Maybe I am older and wiser now though. Hope there's lots of chrome included for the engine

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

52043030423_38b36d37b0_o.jpg20220501_135504 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Fast forward to this century, Revell issued a number of old classic under the 'Revell Classics' label, being a "limited edition of 5000 pieces". These were stocked by Modelzone and frequently ended up being reduced to half price. If I were to participate in this build I would probably make the Northrop Hawk which originated in the 1950's under the Renwal  label. It just looks so... Fifties!

52043488955_662d84ed46_o.jpg20220501_134237 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I also like the old Revell ship kits, I have made the 1:460 Guided missile cruiser USS Long Beach as well as the 1:570 RMS Titanic and I have these two sat in the stash.

52042978391_a479803666_o.jpg20220501_134347 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Some more oldies which I found lurking in various places. I got the 'History Makers' Corporal Missile kit in a model shop in Minneapolis, MN, and paid $20 USD for it. Sadly the original decals are missing but it is quite a kit. It was originally released in 1955.

52042978386_62ff913111_o.jpg20220501_134729 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

And a few more aircraft, I think the Tradewind was a fairly recent re-issue of a very old kit. The 1:91 Convair B-58 Hustler is my oldest kit and was the start of my stash, I was still at school when it was issued in 1976 although the original issue was 1957 when the Hustler was by far the hottest new plane on the block!

52043030348_dfa5775694_o.jpg20220501_135543 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Michael

Oh. My.  Days! It's like a one person GB before our very eyes, I can already hear the chants of 'Build 'em all' sounding across the internet!! Good luck coming to a decision,  obvioulsy not a problem if you do decide to build 'em all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a nicely scrounged collection. Favourites? The PBM for mine, by a gill over the P5Y and Pine Island. Wow!

Corporal Missile has the outstanding box art. Is that an all-weather launch button and a couple of French macaroons flanking the corporal stripes? Talk about twee 🤓

• Like 3

Whilst I would love to join in this GB I don't believe any of my Revell kits are eligible - Me 262, Hunter FGA-9, Ju 290 and the later version of the Fw-200 - only the original Fw 200 was before 1980 I believe. When the original moulding of the Condor was released in I think 1965 Scalemates show it to be described as the "Infamous German Heavy Bomber of WWII", whilst the Revell Japan release a year later says "Famous German Heavy Bomber of WWII" and the 1971 boxing I bought actually calls it "The Scourge of the Atlantic"! The one I now have is the 2006 "New Tool".

Pete 

Edited by PeterB

Whilst I would love to join in this GB I don't believe any of my Revell kits are eligible

... commendable self-control! It would be at this point that I would click on 'buy now' way too many times. Later in the cycle I'd become overwhelmed and then depressed at the number of kits. 

Basically I need stash builders anonymous for group therapy

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2022 at 8:53 AM, Mjwomack said:

Whilst I would love to join in this GB I don't believe any of my Revell kits are eligible

... commendable self-control! It would be at this point that I would click on 'buy now' way too many times. Later in the cycle I'd become overwhelmed and then depressed at the number of kits. 

Basically I need stash builders anonymous for group therapy

Go on, just one leetle waffair thin mint...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 5/8/2022 at 2:38 PM, PeterB said:

Whilst I would love to join in this GB I don't believe any of my Revell kits are eligible - Me 262, Hunter FGA-9, Ju 290 and the later version of the Fw-200 - only the original Fw 200 was before 1980 I believe. When the original moulding of the Condor was released in I think 1965 Scalemates show it to be described as the "Infamous German Heavy Bomber of WWII", whilst the Revell Japan release a year later says "Famous German Heavy Bomber of WWII" and the 1971 boxing I bought actually calls it "The Scourge of the Atlantic"! The one I now have is the 2006 "New Tool".

Pete 

I think it was extended out to 1986 when Monogram & Revell merged...so you got a few more years to play with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

I think it was extended out to 1986 when Monogram & Revell merged...so you got a few more years to play with.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:38 PM, PeterB said:

Pete 

Per the discussion between Steve and I on page 10 the cut-off is 1989, that was thirty years prior to the proposal of this build. 

49 minutes ago, Beazer said:

Does the SBDC-4 Helldiver count?

I believe it was originally issued in 72 and reissued as a Promodeller in 97.

Are you talking the 1/48 Monogram kit ? If so it was originally released in 1961.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-pa69-sb2c-helldiver--163429

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:12 PM, Ghostbase said:

20220501_135504 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

20220501_134237 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

20220501_134347 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

20220501_134729 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

20220501_135543 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Michael

Nice collection, there are many kits I'd have loved to build there. I very recently lost an Ebay bidding war for a bundle that included the Nike Ajax and Nike Hercules, I was very disappointed with this, both had been used by the local Air Force and would have made a nice pair. I have the Snark in this box and this is actually a kit I'm thinking of building for this GB. I built the Tradewind a few years ago and was a very nice relaxing build, I'd have to hunt for a few more of these kits

• Like 3

I've found my kits for this one already.

You won't be surprised to learn I've gone old school, built in Potters Bar UK Revell kits, but the subjects will be a bit different from normal.

But isn't that what GBs are great at doing ? 

No pictures I don't want to spoil the surprise :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

It's nearly upon us I mailed Dennis yesterday and went over a few point's as a first time Host I'll need his help this could turn out a BIG job,there are certainly no

end of subjects covered in these two main manufacture's catalogue's to interest everyone here on BM so it will be interesting to see what come's out of the 

various stash cupboard's etc ,personally I think hosting duties will tie up a fair bit of time so I'll think carefully what to build as a backdrop I've the Monogram

moon landing Diorama bought specially for a starter.

• Like 4

I'm like a kid the week before Xmas here!

I'll be leaning more towards the Monogram end of things, with car kits centre stage. Expect a few Muscle cars, with a sprinkling of Hot Rods. A Plymouth Superbird will definitely make an appearance. A Boss 429 Mustang that didn't get started in the Mustang GB would be nice to do as well.

20211030-144744.jpg

20201230-123625.jpg

Monograms 1.48 scale sixties release planes should also get a look in.

The GB hasn't started yet, and already I'm overextended. No change there then.

Tony.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2