Classic Revell-o-gram GB Chat

On 04/12/2021 at 09:14, John Masters said:

A fellow Aquarian (mines the 17th) .  At least there are two sane people in this thread...🤪

I have found a Revell hawker Hunter F.Mk.6.  Scalemates says it is new as of 2005.  That is too new to be 'classic' isn't it?

14 minutes ago, klr said:

Is there an exact cut-off date agreed yet? I saw mid-80s mentioned in the opening post, but the exact date would certainly affect whether some of my kits were in or out.

Hi John and Kir Dennis has just mailed my on this very subject,Revell/Monogram merged in 1986 there is the idea  of making 1989 the cut off

making the last kits allowed to be thirty years old.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone Ive just discussed this with Steve. 1989 is the cut off year, anything produced by either of the companies is included. 

Dammit, that knocks out my planned F-102 build. Monogram released it in 1990. Back to the drawing board 😕

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomjw said:

Dammit, that knocks out my planned F-102 build. Monogram released it in 1990. Back to the drawing board 😕

Sorry, Id love to see the Deuce but we need to establish a cut-off somewhere. Fortunately the rest of the century series is all good. The dates are F-100 (1980), F-101 (1985), F-104 (1978), F-105G (1982), F-105D (1985), and F-106 (1983). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry, Id love to see the Deuce but we need to establish a cut-off somewhere. Fortunately the rest of the century series is all good. The dates are F-100 (1980), F-101 (1985), F-104 (1978), F-105G (1982), F-105D (1985), and F-106 (1983). 

Aha, all is not lost. I also have the Revell boxing of the F-106, so I'm back in the game.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, johnlambert said:

I'm thinking burgundy, dark blue or maybe a nice metallic (but not silver).

Sage green? :)

Re date, if the 30 year thing is important that would give us 1991 or 1992 from next years GB date, wouldn't it? :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Taking advantage of the scope now broadening to include all 'Classic American' kit manufacturers, I'm planning on building these two sportsters from the 1960s.

AVvXsEh3SPR25AkEQSUkyX5bzZG1kzVSdliaEVPw

Cheers

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's seeming unlikely I'm going to get to my KUTA build, I'll likely resume my B-58 during this GB.  It's probably technically over the 25% though (cockpit built minus seats, upper fuselage attached), so probably won't have an official thread but I'll share the work here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

Since it's seeming unlikely I'm going to get to my KUTA build, I'll likely resume my B-58 during this GB.  It's probably technically over the 25% though (cockpit built minus seats, upper fuselage attached), so probably won't have an official thread but I'll share the work here.

We'll have a look nearer the time Helios we should be able to agree a compromise.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:13 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Generally much like any other classic group build, it usually allows for newer re-boxed editions of older kits. In this case I believe the decision is any Revell or Monogram kit first issued prior to 1986 would qualify. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

Can you tell me if the 1/48 kit (05733) F14D Tomcat is a valid entry? I believe its based on the old Monogram 'A' kit from 1981.

I acquired it a very long time ago when 'Woolies' still existed, in fact I think it may have been from the closing down sale.

I understand it's a bit of a pig build wise but you never know I might be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

1TQABNp.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

I've just realised that I have a Monogram 1/48 B-26 Marauder in the stash with a Big Ed set and other goodies to throw in.

Could I join the GB with this entry please?

Steve

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Could I join the GB with this entry please?

!978 release date for the original kit Steve so good to go!

3 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Can you tell me if the 1/48 kit (05733) F14D Tomcat is a valid entry?

Yes Mark 1981 original release,Revell only tinkered with the molds to reproduce the D model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Count me in please Steve, probably with this ancient one.

Certainly will Dermo,I remember building this kit so long ago the dust hadn't even settled in Vietnam!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Count me in please Steve, probably with this ancient one.

51831840776_97b9881e42_b.jpg

:wub:

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Certainly will Dermo,I remember building this kit so long ago the dust hadn't even settled in Vietnam!

I never built this kit, but always wanted to!    It's a stonking great hecilopter in SEA camouflage.  Doesn't get any better than that!!!  :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice kit, only issue with it is lack of space in the nose for weight. 

We have liquid gravity for the nose.  It's about time that someone invented liquid Cavorite for the tail!  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

We have liquid gravity for the nose.  It's about time that someone invented liquid Cavorite for the tail!  :lol: 

Ive never been able to find liquid gravity locally. Looks like I need to go on the web and see if I can buy some.