Classic Revell-o-gram GB Chat

4 hours ago, GAF said:

I beg your pardon, but being something of a newbie on this forum, I would like to ask how long these Group Builds last?  In other sites, they can last from 3 months to a year.

I have several Monogram kits, but would like to determine the time frame for building.  NOTE:  This is not specified in the GB FAQ thread.

Thank you.

Gary

5 months in this case, as its a classic group build. If it was a single type group build then it would be three months. A standard group build is four months. 

• Like 1

Looking for advice, I just remembered that I obtained a Revell 1:600 scale 'SS United States' liner kit on a well-known auction site a few months ago. It was issued in 2016 by Revell GMBH, Germany, but I strongly suspect that it is a re-issue of the original Revell 'SS United States' kit in 1:601 issued in 1955. I have checked on Scalemates but they don't link the kits together although, again, I am 99.9% sure that this is a re-issue of the 1955 kit. Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks. Michael.

52172798424_8f7d5a1118_o.jpg20220625_212243 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 2

Looking at the instruction sheet for your kit on the Revell website, it certainly looks like one of their 1950s designs. The flat, low draught bottom of the hull is a bit of a giveaway. As Scalemates is constructed by its users, information on it is not always complete or accurate.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

Looking for advice, I just remembered that I obtained a Revell 1:600 scale 'SS United States' liner kit on a well-known auction site a few months ago. It was issued in 2016 by Revell GMBH, Germany, but I strongly suspect that it is a re-issue of the original Revell 'SS United States' kit in 1:601 issued in 1955. I have checked on Scalemates but they don't link the kits together although, again, I am 99.9% sure that this is a re-issue of the 1955 kit. Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks. Michael.

52172798424_8f7d5a1118_o.jpg20220625_212243 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

7 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

Looking at the instruction sheet for your kit on the Revell website, it certainly looks like one of their 1950s designs. The flat, low draught bottom of the hull is a bit of a giveaway. As Scalemates is constructed by its users, information on it is not always complete or accurate.

Doing a bit of research and the scale for makes me think box scale. I think you're correct in your guess work on the lineage of the kit. However it is up to @stevej60 but I say go. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, Richard Humm said:

The Classic group builds tend to go for about five months. The official end date for this one is 13 November 2022.

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.  I would like to enter a Monogram B-26 Marauder if I may.  I notice someone is already doing one, so don't know if there's a limit on kits.  Also, are other decals okay to use?  The kit decals are toast.  Also, resin and photo-etch parts?

spacer.png

Thank you for your time.

Gary

Edited by GAF
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, GAF said:

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.  I would like to enter a Monogram B-26 Marauder if I may.  I notice someone is already doing one, so don't know if there's a limit on kits.  Also, are other decals okay to use?  The kit decals are toast.  Also, resin and photo-etch parts?

spacer.png

Thank you for your time.

Gary

No no limit on the same kits. Its all different in the end as to markings and colors so no two builds would be the exact same. Please start a thread and join in. Everything is allowed as far as aftermarket and your imagination. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:18 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Any idea which route you’ll go ? 

I'm very tempted to go all Capricorn One, with this kit.

Fake a landing on Mars, and use this to escape.  Incredible!

AND I've got the DVD, so time for a re-watch - for research purposes.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Fake a landing on Mars, and use this to escape.  Incredible!

AND I've got the DVD, so time for a re-watch - for research purposes.

Great movie and that would be an excellent way to do this. 

• Haha 1

A worthy project indeed. I have just rewatched the film after finding a $2 DVD in the local St Vincent's op shop. Telly Savalas' character is a complete crackup and the Stearman crop duster a gem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2022 at 09:05, theplasticsurgeon said:

15 hours ago, Maginot said:

A worthy project indeed. I have just rewatched the film after finding a $2 DVD in the local St Vincent's op shop. Telly Savalas' character is a complete crackup and the Stearman crop duster a gem.

Well, now I know what movie I will be watching over the weekend.

a week in, and I've got to say that I'm having a lot of fun. too much fun if anything because I now see the Kingkit have got a total of 7 of the Condor's in stock at the moment; apparently in the boxing that I remember so vividly though never got to build...

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/revell-aircraft-1-72-h204-focke-wulf-fw-200-condor

The 7th is in the scrapyard section with no propellors😉. I'm short of money and time, overstretched already etc. But this GB NEEDS at least one of these so 'somebody stop me'😂

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, Mjwomack said:

a week in, and I've got to say that I'm having a lot of fun. too much fun if anything because I now see the Kingkit have got a total of 7 of the Condor's in stock at the moment; apparently in the boxing that I remember so vividly though never got to build...

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/revell-aircraft-1-72-h204-focke-wulf-fw-200-condor

The 7th is in the scrapyard section with no propellors😉. I'm short of money and time, overstretched already etc. But this GB NEEDS at least one of these so 'somebody stop me'😂

Only one? Get a grip man.

😉

• Haha 2

I'm going to have to put the GB on hold for a while I'm afraid.

I've created a bit of mess indoors, replacing an old bathroom and kitchen. Chaos prevails. Doing both at once hasn't been one of my better ideas but I'm stuck with it now. It's not only GB's that I go in over my head!

I'll be back on the modelling spanners ASAP.

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Great to see a super mix of subjects already and some finished entries too,I'm off down to the beautiful Yorkshire coast Monday so Dennis will have to hold the fort

for a week (must let him know),I'll have a peruse of the first page of builds tomorrow as for mine the Spad hasn't moved on but Bounty has so an update soon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

Home Alone comes to mind here...

Oh C’mon Im not that bad !!

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great to see a super mix of subjects already and some finished entries too,I'm off down to the beautiful Yorkshire coast Monday so Dennis will have to hold the fort

for a week (must let him know),I'll have a peruse of the first page of builds tomorrow as for mine the Spad hasn't moved on but Bounty has so an update soon.

Enjoy your trip Steve. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Glad to find this up and running, Gentlemen.

A Monogram F11C-2 has been looking on from the shelf quite a while now....

If you want you're welcome to join us in the fun, an Goshawk would be a pleasant addition. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if any brave sole will come in with the big buff? Nearly did myself before coming to my senses I have neither the time for another buff nor the space for one and I dont want a repeat of what happened to my first. (got destroyed during redecorating when something fell on it) 

Now for my question, already established I can do the 1/72 F-4J as a D as I have a spare nose sensor and will definitely be entering it, but what about the snapfit F-4E, can that be salvaged into a decent model with spares box parts and spare decals? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu