Classic Revell-o-gram GB Chat

Oh well, I know I am supposed to be reducing my stash but there is one Revell kit from the 1960's which I built at the time but have since lost. I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement and I may have found one at a sensible price - time will tell. 

Pete

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Oh well, I know I am supposed to be reducing my stash but there is one Revell kit from the 1960's which I built at the time but have since lost. I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement and I may have found one at a sensible price - time will tell. 

Pete

Give us a hint Peter ? 

• Like 1

I believe it was released initially by Revell GB in 1965, with the main Revell release a year later. More if and when I get it!

Pete

• Like 1

Ok. Back in around 1963 Revell GB began to release a series of aircraft kits which filled in a lot of gaps in both my WWI and WWII collections, together with a couple from the period between the wars. They continued plugging away for the next 6 or so years and I guess I build most of them - the only one I cannot recall buying was the PT-17 "Kaydet". I believe I still have all of their WWI releases, but most of the WWII ones have since been replaced by supposedly more accurate kits. I know I still have one Bf 109E, and early Ki-43 with a 2 blade prop and also a P-47D, and I also have the P-26 from between the wars, and the old Me 262 I have could be one of those kits as well., but there is one kit I have lost which was never replaced, and so I have been looking on and off for some time for a replacement. I could no doubt buy a newer and perhaps more accurate one, but I liked the old Revell kit so I decided to buy another one providing it was not expensive.

One turned up on e-Bay a few weeks back for under £5, but it was described as having been found in an attic after a relative died and was being sold "as seen" but only showed the box, and the seller would not accept returns, so nobody seemed interested. I did suggest they posted a pic of the contents, but instead they withdrew it. Earlier this week I saw that I had just missed one going for £7 with a missing pilot, but then found another with the stand missing for slightly more, and here it is.

DSC06722-crop

All of the parts are there except for the stand and the decs look as if they will work but need a bit of bleaching in the window. Last time I followed the kit instructions and painted it olive green over light blue as in the box art but I now have more info on Polish planes and will try and get the colours right. Interestingly the artwork shows a Dornier 17 - either P or M I guess and maybe we will be seeing one of those in the current Do 17 STGB - I am building the earlier E/F with inline engines (I hope).

So it looks like I can come out and play in this GB as well.

Pete

Actually, on reflection the canopy design suggests a Do-17Z which may be more likely.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Dang! I didn't know Revell did a P.11! Back in '65 no less.

Yes, but for some reason they only seem to have done it for a couple of years - maybe it did not sell very well. According to Scalemates it continued to issued under associate brand names such as Revell Japan until about 1977, but this type seems somewhat under - represented kit wise - just Azur, IBG and Arma Hobby seem to have released new kits since. It is actually easier to get a Karas or Los by the look of it!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are a number of aftermarket sheets of decals for the newer releases in case you cant save the originals. If nothing else works contact me I have a number of the newer kits and A/M sheets that we can figure something out. Its one on my wish list as well for the old models. I only discovered they existed a year ago when someone did one in another group build. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @PeterB

Let me know if you need decals mate, I bought an aftermarket set for a PZL P7 so this has lots of stuff you can use.

I thought you were going for the FW200 Condor also I believe from 1965 :wink:

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

Thanks for that. No, I did built the early Condor when it came out, but the one I have in my stash is a much later and hopefully better moulding. The gun barrels on the 1965 one were like bazookas, where they were provided at all - I think the beam/waist guns were not included, and neither I suspect were the rear ones for the ventral gondola and the dorsal glasshouse. All you got were the cannons in the big dorsal turret and the front of the gondola.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Think I'll be joining with a Revell X-15, 1/64th scale for general oddness - it's a 1994 reissue of the original 1959 kit (with 1961 packaging graphics) kit so hopefully OK, though I've got bad feelings about the decals (haven't dared to look yet, kit is still in shrink-wrap), might need some inspiration on that front.

• Like 5

I'm going to try to get a few models done in this group build, starting with these two, which shouldn't take too long:

Monogram-Spitifire.jpg

the Monogram Spitfire IX in 1/48 scale (with a box as battered as that, it's definitely not collectable!)

and

Atlantis-Snoopy.jpg

the Atlantis reissue of the Monogram kit of that great World War One flying ace, Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel.

• Like 6

On 28/05/2022 at 16:28, PeterB said:

Yes, but for some reason they only seem to have done it for a couple of years - maybe it did not sell very well.

I got one in 1975,  via Green Shield Stamps,  they did a set of 4 fighters,  random selection.   I got a PZL.11, Ki-61 and Sopwith Camel and I think a Fokker Eindekker.  I think they all survived the intervening years .. not in great shape though.  It may have just been old stock, I can itr was a way for Revell to off load old stock maybe? 

this sample page from the 1976 catalogue.....item 27 - Revell, set of 4 aeroplanes, 1/72"  1 1/2 books... note,  also Airfix and even a Tamiya kit. If you enlarge the image you can just about read the text.

ef3a45_d8f02090b5874c8487e6ee269cd322eb~

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017777-a-nostalgic-tribute-to-frog-model-kits/page/36/#elControls_4005353_menu

I know I also got as 1/32 Revell Spitfire from Green Shield stamps. 

A little off topic but might amuse.

I recall the PZL-11 as being quite a neat little kit, there was one the sale page here a while back which I was vaguely tempted by.

• Like 4

Ah, @Troy Smith, will you be joining us? 

I'm having a go at the b17f, straight out the box mind, I'm hoping the visual impact of the sheer size will make up for absence of interior detail... 

.. and may mean I might actually finish it!! 

Omg those books of green shield stamps, just sticking the stamps in was a hobby in its own right

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

0-C9-EA7-C8-50-B6-4-E9-C-8-C2-D-334-AAE5Just bought this off the web for the GB it’s not my usual fare but its of special importance as it’s the last kit my Dad, who died last year, ever completed.

That means I have three contenders a slightly incomplete 1/48 bubble top P47 and  1/28 Fokker DR1 ( nothing I can’t scratch build my way out of ) And the whole lot cost me less than €50 altogether!

Really looking forward to this one, better get stuck in and deplete the wip a bit first :)  

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

The box says pilot figure included, which u think is really lurid green blob 🫣

I think my DR1 actually has ground crew ( but is missing half a machine gun, but I’d probably have replaced them anyway) but I never model figures. Now the big dilemma is which scheme to build said same in, far too many choices.

0-D3-B8-ED4-ADFC-4716-9820-EAC007-DFE60-

E9-A19483-6-D8-C-4-DFE-B3-EC-2-E50-FA5-E
My two front runners.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Hi Mj, 

You know, I think maybe that is another of that batch of Revell kits I never built - making 2 including the PT-17. From the colour scheme I suspect it is an early model P-39, but maybe not a P-400 that those colours were normally associated with as the cannon looks a bit short and there are only 6 exhaust stubs.

Pete

Later, I see Scalemates believe it was a P-39D, though in an earlier boxing they say P-39F which fits with the serial number. The D was the USAF version that the RAF ordered as the Airacobra 1 with certain mods, and when they were re-possessed they became the P-400. The USAF did have some D's and the F was essentially a D with a different prop, but my sources suggest that many had the 12 stack exhausts, and none seem to have had the underwing gondola mounted 50cal replacing the twin 30cal in the wing, so this kit may be a bit of a hybrid! I hope the prop is the right size as both my Airfix Q and Hobbyboss N and Q were far too small.

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Mj, 

You know, I think maybe that is another of that batch of Revell kits I never built - making 2 including the PT-17. From the colour scheme I suspect it is an early model P-39, but maybe not a P-400 that those colours were normally associated with as the cannon looks a bit short and there are only 6 exhaust stubs.

Pete

Later, I see Scalemates believe it was a P-39D, though in an earlier boxing they say P-39F which fits with the serial number. The D was the USAF version that the RAF ordered as the Airacobra 1 with certain mods, and when they were re-possessed they became the P-400. The USAF did have some D's and the F was essentially a D with a different prop, but my sources suggest that many had the 12 stack exhausts, and none seem to have had the underwing gondola mounted 50cal replacing the twin 30cal in the wing, so this kit may be a bit of a hybrid! I hope the prop is the right size as both my Airfix Q and Hobbyboss N and Q were far too small.

Pete

Revell said it was a P-39Q originally.

Revell-P-39.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wkennerley said:

Where do i find the rules for this GB please, what kits are allowed for instance, thanks Wayne

The rules seem to be that any Revell, Monogram, Aurora (who were bought by Monogram in 1978) or Renwal (bought by Revell in 1977) kit first issued before 1989 is eligible. The kit has to be less than 25% complete at the start of the build on 25 June (which is a standard Group Build rule) and you should aim to complete everything by 13 November.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

Revell said it was a P-39Q originally.

Revell-P-39.jpg

I had a vague recollection that was the case and it would explain the 50cal gondolas, though that boxing is the Revell GB version according to Scalemates and the first Revell issue seems to have been in OD with US markings. In any case the Airfix Q was released the same year and that is what I bought, probably before the Revell UK one arrived in my LMS. The problem with the P-39 is that there were several changes between models, including exhausts, wheels, armament, intakes and props and some manufacturers either did not know that or maybe chose to ignore it! The Airfix one had US and Soviet markings, though the latter were the improvised ones with the stars painted red and the blue circle painted white, maybe on the production line  AFAIK.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1