Classic Revell-o-gram GB Chat

Would this kit be eligible?

spacer.png

Apparently it harks back to a Monogram Plymouth Satellite kit from 1984, though Revell updated a few parts (GTX logos, spoiler, door cards) in 1995 and again for the movie tie-in around 2020. I also have a resin bloke in an overly tight t-shirt to go along with it (aftermarket allowed?) so would be doing the F&F version.

I may not get around to it, I have far too many aircraft GBs on the horizon but would like to try squeeze something else in. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've not fully committed yet, but I might be in with a 1/72 F-4C/D.  I've got an Accurate Miniatures rebox of the 1985 Monogram kit.  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/accurate-miniatures-0410-f-4-c-d-phantom-ii-col-robin-olds--146107  No box, no decals, no instructions.  Was a dual bag purchase off evilbay a couple years ago.  I've since acquired some USAFE Xtradecals and printed a set of instructions off Scalemates to finish out the build.  If I do follow through it'll be OOB with the exception of the decals and a pitot tube.  I was originally going to attempt it in the upcoming Blitzbuild...but I'm not convinced the paint will make it in time.  

52 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I've not fully committed yet, but I might be in with a 1/72 F-4C/D.  I've got an Accurate Miniatures rebox of the 1985 Monogram kit.  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/accurate-miniatures-0410-f-4-c-d-phantom-ii-col-robin-olds--146107  No box, no decals, no instructions.  Was a dual bag purchase off evilbay a couple years ago.  I've since acquired some USAFE Xtradecals and printed a set of instructions off Scalemates to finish out the build.  If I do follow through it'll be OOB with the exception of the decals and a pitot tube.  I was originally going to attempt it in the upcoming Blitzbuild...but I'm not convinced the paint will make it in time.  

Ive built that kit, I still have most of the decal sheet. If there is a specific plane you want let me know. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's been a hectic few week's,work is mental and the wife's sofa bound with a broken leg thank's to Dennis for  holding the fort I'll get round the current

builds later today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's been a hectic few week's,work is mental and the wife's sofa bound with a broken leg thank's to Dennis for  holding the fort I'll get round the current

builds later today.

No worries Steve, Im happy to do my part as co-host. Hope everything has smoothed out a bit for you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2022 at 14:29, stevej60 said:

wife's sofa bound with a broken leg thank's to Dennis

I  should be having a quiet word with Dennis if I were you...

I never got into Monogram (I still don't have a kit from them) but 1960s Revell with the paintings on the front works for me:

1-EA78-EE7-C43-B-46-F5-9-BB0-EB15-F77-D6

Do these work? If they are OK I might do the MC200 as a quickie, and then have a go at the DH2 if I have the time, using either the WNW instructions for reference or, if I want more detail, @Putty Animal's build!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/15/2022 at 6:29 AM, stevej60 said:

builds later today.

Oh no, all the best to her and strength for you taking care of her.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I  should be having a quiet word with Dennis if I were you...

I never got into Monogram (I still don't have a kit from them) but 1960s Revell with the paintings on the front works for me:

1-EA78-EE7-C43-B-46-F5-9-BB0-EB15-F77-D6

Do these work? If they are OK I might do the MC200 as a quickie, and then have a go at the DH2 if I have the time, using either the WNW instructions for reference or, if I want more detail, @Putty Animal's build!

Regards,

Adrian

Those are both classic kits the Mc.200 new tool date of 1967, he De Havilland of 1965. So well within the dates of the build. 

• Thanks 1

We've all got covid here, tested yesterday. Not too worried, have the Paxlovid in hand, but it will be awhile before I'm back to modelling. Low energy doesn't begin to describe it. The 'dogfight double' is pretty near done, but the P-6 conversion might not get completed by the deadline.

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

We've all got covid here, tested yesterday. Not too worried, have the Paxlovid in hand, but it will be awhile before I'm back to modelling. Low energy doesn't begin to describe it. The 'dogfight double' is pretty near done, but the P-6 conversion might not get completed by the deadline.

Take your time their is no rush as plastic never expires. You have no requirement to finish the build. You can have the thread moved to aviation work in progress at the end of the group builds time. Ive had covid twice myself so you have my sympathies. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My final three are in the gallery, giving me a total of five completions for this GB. 

Many thanks to @stevej60 and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for hosting the GB.   It has been an excellent experience.

I really like the classic GBs.  However, this one in particular has helped me to grow as a person.  :)   Four of the five kits that I built were around sixty years old.  Opening the boxes I was horrified at how crude they looked!  And then I started to build them and found out what a kit snob I was being.   I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.  I feel I should ask three questions about a kit:

• Does it look vaguely like the prototype?
  • Have I learned something from the build?
  • Did I enjoy the build?

If I can answer "yes" to all three questions, then that kit is A (subjectively) Good Kit.  :thumbsup:

• Like 8

On 11/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:
  • Does it look vaguely like the prototype?
  • Have I learned something from the build?
  • Did I enjoy the build?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

All three builds completed and in the gallery with time to spare :) the Dr1 being the only one I had built before, but I did enjoy all three builds tremendously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

All three builds completed and in the gallery with time to spare :) the Dr1 being the only one I had built before, but I did enjoy all three builds tremendously.

Mission accomplished!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Phew, just got my second build into the gallery! This is my second group build and I've really enjoyed it. Not as nostalgic (for me) as the Matchbox build I participated in, as they are the kits I grew up building, but there has been some real variety in this GB, and my two kits are the first two nautical builds I've ever done, one a long term stash resident (25 years), and the other a relative newcomer (3 years). Now to tidy up the "creation station" ready to join in the armoured cars and halftracks build! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I’m going to miss the deadline-  what’s the protocol here?   I think the gallery thread gets locked, but I would guess our individual threads remain open for updates?  

Gallery is locked.

In past times, I continued in the thread if I was close otherwise I started a new WIP in the appropriate forum.

• Like 1