Classic Revell-o-gram GB Chat

23 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

The rules seem to be that any Revell, Monogram, Aurora (who were bought by Monogram in 1978) or Renwal (bought by Revell in 1977) kit first issued before 1989 is eligible. The kit has to be less than 25% complete at the start of the build on 25 June (which is a standard Group Build rule) and you should aim to complete everything by 13 November.

Thanks Richard

1 hour ago, wkennerley said:

Thanks Richard

As Richard said those are pretty much the major ground rules. Now as a co-host Id be happy to attempt to answer any other questions ? Finishing is always nice but not a requirement. Just so long as you enjoy the time spent in the group build is whats really important. 

Dennis

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As Richard said those are pretty much the major ground rules. Now as a co-host Id be happy to attempt to answer any other questions ? Finishing is always nice but not a requirement. Just so long as you enjoy the time spent in the group build is whats really important. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, typically the only suitable kit I have found so far in my shed is a monogram 1/32 AC Cobra but it looks like its a 1995 issue, damn!!

9 minutes ago, wkennerley said:

Thanks Dennis, typically the only suitable kit I have found so far in my shed is a monogram AC Cobra but it looks like its a 1995 issue, damn!!

Is it one of these kits, if so it was first released in 1988 and is good to go. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-2764-shelby-cobra-427-sc--169259

If its the 1/32 kit yes you're correct it is too new. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

I had a vague recollection that was the case and it would explain the 50cal gondolas, though that boxing is the Revell GB version according to Scalemates and the first Revell issue seems to have been in OD with US markings. In any case the Airfix Q was released the same year and that is what I bought, probably before the Revell UK one arrived in my LMS. The problem with the P-39 is that there were several changes between models, including exhausts, wheels, armament, intakes and props and some manufacturers either did not know that or maybe chose to ignore it! The Airfix one had US and Soviet markings, though the latter were the improvised ones with the stars painted red and the blue circle painted white, maybe on the production line  AFAIK.

Pete

Yes, that is the Revell GB issue, though I think that it actually was the first release of the kit - the wing have a Revell GB copyright inside it, so it was probably one of the kits designed in Potters Bar then exported to the other Revell branches across the world. Judging by Flying Review and IPMS Magazine comments, the Revell kit was sent out for review before the Airfix, though obviously supplies to your local shop may have differed.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Finishing is always nice but not a requirement. Just so long as you enjoy the time spent in the group build is whats really important. 

Dennis

Excellent advice! My sort of GB😁. Not long now before it shuffles across into the current builds and the threads can begin

I might be doing Revell a huge disservice but looking quickly at the airacobra I think it's generic rather than a specific mark, but I'm going to enjoy myself with some nostalgia 👍

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 7:30 PM, wellzy said:

Add my name  please  ,  got some Monogram need looking  in to 

Wellzy 

Still thinking  about  this one 

17 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I just picked up the Atlantis née Revell 1/48 White-Fruehauf Gas Truck for 40% at Hobby Lobby ($11.99), While the current version has new decals, the molds are from '56--I might have been a twinkle in my father's eye when it was first released. ;)

Is Atlantis a revell product ? Im looking at an Atlantis S2F in 1/54 scale and was trying to figure out if I would build it. It turns out the molds were owned by Aurora at one point in the 1960’s and 1970’s ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/atlantis-a145-s2f-hunter-killer--1240867

@stevej60 being this was owned by Aurora at one point does it count. Or does it have to be an original Aurora mould ? 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is Atlantis a revell product ?

Atlantis is a US company that buys old molds and reissues the kits. I see Aurora, Renwal, Revell, Merit, Monogram, &etc. For the Gas Truck, they made new decals and added clear plastic that was never provided by Revell.

I must say the Sinclair markings were the draw for me--I only found out about 40% off at the register. I vividly recall getting a Sinclair dinosaur at the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows Park. They were molded on-demand in a low-pressure injection molding machine housed under a clear plastic dome. Just for giggles, I checked Ebay and those two-bit toys are now fetching more than a C-note! 😱

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Atlantis is a US company that buys old molds and reissues the kits. I see Aurora, Renwal, Revell, Merit, Monogram, &etc. For the Gas Truck, they made new decals and added clear plastic that was never provided by Revell.

I must say the Sinclair markings were the draw for me--I only found out about 40% off at the register. I vividly recall getting a Sinclair dinosaur at the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows Park. They were molded on-demand in a low-pressure injection molding machine housed under a clear plastic dome. Just for giggles, I checked Ebay and those two-bit toys are now fetching more than a C-note! 😱

I can understand that, oddly here in the Chicago region Sinclair disappeared in the late 70’s/early 80’s. So we thought the company was gone. I took a trip to Montana in 2016 for a job interview and surprisingly almost every gas station we stopped at was a Sinclair. 

On a side note about the models I think they did the same with the S2F as I was researching it and some of the old kits I saw didn't have clear bits but the Atlantis re-pop does. 

• Like 1

I went up to the attic to see if I have anything appropriate for this. Lessone no. 1 is that I should check my stash more often, as I have a good deal of kits I had completely forgotten about! Lesson no. 2, I have A LOT of Monogram kits! :) 

TBD Devestator
F-5F 
F-86
F-84E 
F-84F
F-100D

F-101 

F-105G (1:72 Revell) 
A-26
Su-25
Bf-109G-14 (I think thats what this is, a very late-war version, in any case) 
Bf-110G
Dornier Pfiel 

Some of these are 90s era kits, so not sure they would qualify under the classic ruberick.  
F-86D in Revell boxing (Hasegawa???)
Ju-88 in Promodeller boxing (I suspect this is the DML kit)
F-4E in Promodeller boxing (looks like Hasegawa to me) 

I'm thinking I'll join in with the Devestator and Pfiel, and then go from there. 

• Like 3

On 17/06/2022 at 14:12, SoftScience said:

Bf-109G-14 (I think thats what this is, a very late-war version, in any case) 

Bf109 G-10.  Originally issued in 1978 by Revell, and was a stellar kit in it's day, and still basically decent now.

On 17/06/2022 at 14:12, SoftScience said:

F-86D in Revell boxing (Hasegawa???)

It's a Revell original. 

If Scalemates are correct, originally issued in 2001 by Monogram/Promodeller

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-pro-modeler-85-5960-f-86d-dog-sabre--122273

HTH

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 08:25, nickhenfrey said:

will you be joining us? 

I think I should.  As a child I did think Revell were not very good,  and only had a few, though the very first model kit I ever had was a Revell kit, their 60's era fw190.

1245023-27767-95-pristine.jpg

oddly enough, they kit has a cross for the tail, and mentions how they were not going to include the swastika...   maybe the first example of this? 

This was done mostly by mum,  as i was 5, and for may years I remembered it as a Revell MiG-15.... revell didn't do a MiG-15 then, and more memory rummaging and box art hunting turned up the image above, someone had shown me how to draw planes properly at that stage and had drawn a Fw190, which may have influenced the choice in newsagents window ...

I bought this and another I had slightly later, their He219.  This was one of the kit I had, but had no help with, and didn't get built, or partly built.   This might be a good excuse to do them. I even stumped a bit for the specific boxings I had. 

This box art was vividly imprinted on my mind

135171-32432-42-pristine.jpg

I don't think my love for Revell  went up when I asked if I wanted a kit by mum what did I want, and I asked for a Flying Fortress, thinking of the Airfix B-17.....   but she went to Seaford and I duly presented with..... the 72nd Revell Memphis Belle kit...   I built it but was a bit disappointed... I doubt if I even knew the Revell kit existed.   

Monogram though I have fond memories of,  they became more widely available in the UK in 1977 it seems,  and I discovered 1/48th and was then a convert.

This was my collection in spring or summer 1978

49830658836_89736921ab_b.jpgKits 78 crop 1 by losethekibble, on Flickr

49830961962_8d15c9f0be_b.jpgKits 78 crop 2 by losethekibble, on Flickr

The individual  markings on the Hurricanes,  Bf109 and Spitfire are hand painted,  I'd been obsessed with the Airfix 1/24th kit so did a hurricane as VY-Q and the Bf109 as JG26 -Yellow 10,  the other Hurricane KW-M was from a profile in the PSL book,  and the Spitfire I copies the markings in the Matchbox kit. 

the only one to survive basically intact is the VY-Q Hurricane,  though I have remains of the rest.  The Bf109 was partly cannibalised in an effort to make a better Bf109E by cross kitting with the Airfix Bf109F...

I'm having a go at the b17f, straight out the box mind, I'm hoping the visual impact of the sheer size will make up for absence of interior detail... 

That being the 1/48th kit?   There are some True Details resin that dress it up quite neatly.

Back in 1978, I was in toyshop in Brighton, and they had the 1/48th  B-17F, which they had mis priced, at £1.99....which was what a 1/48th fighter cost at the time,   I knew this was wrong, so was worried about buying it,  though I didn't know the price displayed was the price that had to charge....   i even had £2 to spend.... 

I know I have various Monograms still stashed....

.. and may mean I might actually finish it!! 

True....

Omg those books of green shield stamps, just sticking the stamps in was a hobby in its own right

a damp sponge was the way to go.....

cheers

T

• Like 7

Yes my first GB in about 7 years!!I This will be a small build, I have managed to acquire a 1/144 F4U-1 Corsair. I believe it dates from the mid 1970s. Not sure how the decals will be, but it seems others are available

s-l1600 (6)

• Like 4

Troy, that brought back stuff

I built a lot of Airfix 1/72 aircraft (badly) when I was younger, but moved to armour when I took up wargaming. I don't remember anything in 1/48

Started again about seven years ago and completed five fighter planes in 1/48

Yes the b-17 is 1/48, I watched Memphis Belle yesterday to get in the mood! 

I can't see any True Details sets for sale currently, tbh my only concern internally is the front of the bombardier compartment in the nose that's quite visible through the Plexiglas nose section

I actually have the (unbuilt) hk models version, so I'll look at the parts in that for comparison

So what are you thinking for the build? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nickhenfrey said:

I can't see any True Details sets for sale currently, tbh my only concern internally is the front of the bombardier compartment in the nose that's quite visible through the Plexiglas nose section

Maybe not for the Revell but this Eduard set may be able to made to work ? 

https://spruebrothers.com/edu491181-1-48-eduard-color-pe-b-17f-flying-fortress-nose-interior-detail-set-hkm-kit/

Or possibly this bigger set ?

https://spruebrothers.com/edubig49298-1-48-eduard-big-ed-b-17f-flying-fortress-super-detail-set-hkm-kit/

• Like 1

Well, the builds are starting to flood in. I can see this being another memorable GB.

Every build posted so far has had me thinking 'I wouldn't mind having a go at one of them' I suffer a lot from Eyes bigger than Belly Syndrome and it flares up at the start of every GB. This one will bring on a full on dose by the look of it.

Old Monogram kits get me like that. Revell less so for some unfathomable reason, but that won't stop me adding a few here. The sixties Pop Culture stuff is right up my street, so expect Ed Roth and Revell and Mouse Studios and Monogram to make an appearance, along with later Tom Daniel stuff. Dave Deal is almost certain to show as well. They can be the pure fun builds alongside a couple of more involved efforts.

I'm going to be more than busy here for a few months. Life is good.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I'm going to be more than busy here for a few months. Life is good.

Totally agree with you Tony! I'm going to go all in here and will attempt to build three Mercedes-Benz trucks! None of which will be OOB, of course. I mean where's the challenge in that? 🙂 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nickhenfrey said:

I suggest some proper AM....

s-l400.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383205922764   though the post seems a bit steep.   Also worth getting

s-l400.jpg

it's the only assorted pack Evergreen do....  

15 hours ago, nickhenfrey said:

I actually have the (unbuilt) hk models version, so I'll look at the parts in that for comparison

bear in mind that you can only really see a limited amount of interior detail,  so it's not preposterous to have a go at scratchbuilding some, and the microstrip is ideal for adding internal framelines and other bits and pieces, as it's nearly impossible to cut plastic card into consistent even strips. 

The other trick is to dry fit the major bits, and observe what you can see, and just aim to detail those bits.,   

sine the HK kit is a from what I have seen rather detailed,  that would be a helpful guide,  maybe worth getting AM guns, as they will be visible .  Another possibility is to add crew, as they fill up space well

Details from the Monogram B-17 G should work as well, as when the Revell kit came out, you could fit the Mono wings to the Revell fuselage....  Monogram sent Revell a message asking for this not to happen again....

the ones that would help are

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/photo-etched-parts/photo-etched-set/aircraft/1-48/b-17g-rear-interior-1-48.html

04.jpg

03.jpg 

Though there were doors for the waist positions

41-2599-mount-rainier.jpg

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/photo-etched-parts/photo-etched-set/aircraft/1-48/b-17g-nose-interior-1-48.html

you asked about the nose..

01.jpg

this is why I suggested microstrip

00.jpg

but a lot of this won't really be visible,  so could just be 'represented' , I refer back to my point about a dry fit, including the glazing,  try adding something inside on the dry run and see what is visible through the glazing. 

Really depends on how much effort you want to spend on the old kit Nick,   I know I have stashed two Mono G models, one came from a sale on here with loads of add ons, plus a load of spare bits, and then i got one from a model club sale, minus the glazing.... which I had a spare set of.. I also have Revel  B-17 F....      

I don't have the room for one 1/48th B-17... let alone 3......

NOTE there  is an old Eduard Set

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Photo-etched-parts/Photo-etched-set/Aircraft/1-48/B-17F-G-interior-1-48.html

16 hours ago, nickhenfrey said:

So what are you thinking for the build? 

well,  seems  a good chance to do that He219 and Fw190,   I'm really seeing one of the ways @TonyW works is to just do a vintage kit OOB but do it carefully, even if it basically junk.

I'll do the Fw190 to match the box art,  even though it's completely wrong...   

I have various other bits stashed, I have the dreadful 1963 era Revell Hurricane as well...   

@wkennerley post above reminds me I have a few of those 60's era Microwings stashed, I really liked those in my youth, and still have a few Hurricanes hand painted in different schemes in a box.... 

I'll have a ponder and see how I feel and take it from there...

cheers

T

• Like 4

I'm loving this GB already because of the variety of topics coming up; 3 sailing ships already @airfixpeter I assume something went wrong with the tinternet but if you're really do a beagle double build that's 4 ships early on

I'm not convinced about this GB because taking classic as pre 1989, I'd already been married for 2 years by then which makes me older than classic and likely to turn up in kingkits salvage scrapyard section any day now 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7