Lightning F.6 in camo

Lightning F.6

Lightning Training Flight, Binbrook, 1982

Over many years of building Lightnings I had never bothered with camouflaged machines, but for some reason I thought it was time to try one out. I had an old Frog / Hasegawa F.6 to use so it had to have a belly tank without guns fitted, and this is the one I chose:

XS895 LTF

I decided to do a limited re-scribe, and also I had a spare undercarriage from an Airfix F.6 that made a huge difference. I’m running short of Aeroclub white metal undercarriages so this was really helpful. Decals were my usual mixture of Modeldecal and Xtradecal. The finless Red Tops were from a long deceased Matchbox F.6

IMG_2886

IMG_2884

IMG_2883

IMG_2891

IMG_2893

IMG_2897

IMG_2901

Looks OK overall, but I still prefer the natural metal look:

Lightning F6 11 Sqn 012

Lightning F6 001

Lightnings at Coltishall 007

XM174 09

29 Sqn Lightning F3 XP701 001

XM192 1

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant!

The Matchbox Lightning in it's metallic livery back in the day was the first to catch my eye but to be honest a Lightning looks good in any guise and your version is just excellent!

Well done

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by Winenut
tidy up

Nice work but what caught my eye was all the details on the missiles. Did their application take as long as the rest of it?

John

1 hour ago, John R said:

Nice work but what caught my eye was all the details on the missiles. Did their application take as long as the rest of it?

John

The missile was completed way back when I built a Matchbox F.6. Must have been late 1980s or so. The F.6 was thrown out when the varnish went hopelessly yellow after many years - old Humbrol varnish in those days.

Cracking stuff! And what a wonderful collection. 

They look great in any colour. Go on, line 'em all up together for a photo, you know you want to!

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Cracking stuff! And what a wonderful collection. 

They look great in any colour. Go on, line 'em all up together for a photo, you know you want to!

I think that was my 18th Lightning so I'm not sure I could fit them all in!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Brilliant collection Chris. Is the 56 Sqn F.1A also a Frog/Hasegawa kit converted with an Airfix belly tank and fin?

Colin 

Hello Colin. The Firebirds aircraft is the Trumpeter F.1A with Aires resin rear fuselage, changes to the undercarriage, etc. I’ve got an F.2 somewhere done from Hasegawa + Airfix belly  - in the attic somewhere.

Great job on this one, and all the others. You can't beat a Lightning!

Not sure about the nose gear though, it looks too long. It could be the angle of the wheel mounting. On the pic, with weight on it, it's around the 2 o'clock position, that brings the bottom edge of the gear door level with the top of the hub. On the models it's around 1 o'clock, with the gear door level with the top of the tyre.

Ian

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Great job on this one, and all the others. You can't beat a Lightning!

Not sure about the nose gear though, it looks too long. It could be the angle of the wheel mounting. On the pic, with weight on it, it's around the 2 o'clock position, that brings the bottom edge of the gear door level with the top of the hub. On the models it's around 1 o'clock, with the gear door level with the top of the tyre.

Ian

I think you're right about the nose gear. It was a hastily adapted Airfix nose leg which was shortened as there's basically no bay in the Frog kit. I had already shortened it twice but maybe it needs a bit more removing.

Nice builds, I think the grey-green Lightnings look pretty good, I can remember seeing my first ones at the  1977 Finningley Jubilee Review and thinking how aggressive they looked

A terrific result you've achieved from this ancient kit.  We had to wait a long time for some state-of-the-art kits of this incredible aircraft but you've shown what could be achieved with some skill and patience.  I am with you though.  The Lightning always looks best in bare metal, as nature intended, as your superb collection illustrates.