FROG BOAC Comet 4 F356 1958

TonyW

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's coming along really nicely Tony.  The sun-bleaching of the decals seems to have worked well too - I thought the 'BOAC' against the white of the fuselage would have been a problem.

Keep up the good work!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. There's a slight shadow around the BOAC letters but I've trimmed the transfer as close as I could around the outside edge. It seems to have taken away the worst of the yellowing.

No real progress as such, the wings got a bit of a polishing with S'n J polishing powder and they look very Travel Agents Window now.

I couldn't resist dry fitting the wings and propping the plane together for a couple of moral booster shots. I quite like the one on the hardstanding. Does anyone know of any 1.96/ 1/00 or so scale airport equipment I could use here?

IMG-9255.jpg

IMG-9257.jpg

... there should be more to report over the weekend.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 17

30 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Wow! That S n J Powder looks to be amazing stuff. Is that product still available anymore?

Lovely work Tony.. this Comet is looking every inch a winner! 

Cheers.. Dave 

It's been unavailable for quite some time now Dave. I'm down to my last little bit, just enough to finish this plane in fact.

I've tried some of the other powders out there but they are either too coarse a grit and won't polish into plastic or they are too dark to look like convincing polished ally.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Tony. I recall seeing this stuff advertised in old modelling magazines, however didn’t know how good it was until this thread came along. Shame it’s no longer something readily available as it looks great! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Very near to completion now. Undercarriage is painted and fitted. Wing tanks need another rub down and another coat of gloss white, followed by the BOAC transfers. Starboard side fuselage transfers are now on and the doors outlined in black. I debated about not doing this but seeing as the model is more Travel Agent Window than competition entry I though it suited the build. 

I need to dig out my built FROG Airliners to see if I can borrow one of their stands or even possibly take a mould from one, this kit was missing the stand.

IMG-9303.jpg

IMG-9306.jpg

• Like 17

Drop dead Gorgeous!! That is simply stunning and right up there with the very best that this GB has offered Tony. To say that I am impressed is a huge understatement. 

Cheers... Dave (who is now picking up his jaw from the floor!). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You are making me want to do mine now.

There's still time to get one done before the close of play, there's not a lot of parts involved and everything pretty much builds itself! There's even three other Serial Numbers on the transfer sheet, so no duplication.

Go on, you know you want too...

Tony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyW said:

There's still time to get one done before the close of play, there's not a lot of parts involved and everything pretty much builds itself! There's even three other Serial Numbers on the transfer sheet, so no duplication.

Go on, you know you want too...

Tony.

Yes, but it sits beside my Caravelle, and I'll have to do that at the same time........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've decided to build the plane a basic diorama base to sit on. Nothing too fancy, just enough to frame the aircraft. It will be a bit bigger than the card base the model is sat on at the moment and very similar in appearance.

I ordered a pack of fifty 1.100 scale figures from ebay, £2.99 delivered. They don't have much in the way of detail on them but a lick of paint should help them blend in. There's a couple of pilot looking figures along with a few suitable passengers. There's a couple of other bits and bobs on the way and I'll update the thread as things happen,

IMG-9346.jpg

• Like 9

Tony, you got a great Comet! Both assembly and painting are almost perfect. Recently, I acquired from my comrade Comet from NOVO. Unfortunately, he assembled and painted it very poorly :fraidnot:  I want to restore this model, but I have no decals for it.

Please forgive me for posting these photos in your topic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Olten
  • Like 6

I'm not the greatest builder of airliners but the BOAC livery just oozes style. 

Lovely job.

I can see me picking up the Airfix 707 reissue when it comes along, to remind me of trips to Prestwick back in the days when it was busy. 

John 

• Like 1

With the completion of the Whitley build, it's time to crack on with the Comet.

I'm going to build it a base to show it off to its best advantage.

The MkI version of its base is shown below. It's rough and ready but it's a start. I'm aiming at a FROG Dealer Display setup, something a Model Shop would display on the counter or in the window.

I don't think FROG made any of these, but I can rectify that. 

IMG-9395.jpg

IMG-9398.jpg

This one is a trial really, just to see how things fall.  Now it's in front of me, rather than just an idea, I can see loads that needs modification. I made it from a sheet of mountboard cut and shut to shape.  I use white mountboard as a background for my model pictures. This one was getting a bit worn and dirty so rather than bin it, I've recycled it! A spray can provided the red finish. Blue might be better. The size of it needs modification, it's too dominating as it is, the plane should be centre stage. There needs to be some script added and I can modify bits and pieces from the catalogue sheets to provide that. There will also need to be some way of adding the box top to the back of the base and I have a couple of ideas how that might be done. I'll be moving on to the Mk2 over the weekend.

The end of the GB is looming, best I get a move on!

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 11

A tiny bit more progress on the Comet.

A good mate, thanks Mike, trawled around the internet looking for 1.96/ 1.100 scale ground equipment to accompany the little figures I've got for the base. There's not a lot out there, surprise surprise!

A real left of field find was a Matchbox Commer Van. Matchbox were supposed to be constant scale in their little boxes but Mike reasoned that the Commer Van must be around 1.100 or so, just to fit in the box. One was found on ebay and it turned up this morning. By Jove, I think he's onto something here! It looks about right next to the 1.00 scale figure.

IMG-9434.jpg

Mike turned up a picture of a BOAC Commer van with a slightly different wheelbase and side windows.

IMG-9344.jpg

The Nestle's paintjob on the one here will have to go and a BOAC one substituted. . The Matchbox van might get used as is with me using my artistic license to insist BOAC used panel vans as well as windowed versions. There's also the possibility of me taking a quick mold of this one and adding windows to get a bit closer to the real deal. Whatever route taken, it will need BOAC script. To cover that I've ordered a couple of diecast restoration decal sheets from ebay in the hope that they will fit OK. If not, I'll be taking a crash course in home made decal production.

It's a good job the GB got an extension!

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6

I can’t look indifferent at this beauty! Along with the Tu-104, Caravelle and Boeing-707, this Comet is one of my favorite planes! I remember how in my distant childhood, in the fall of 1975, I with great joy gathered Comet-4 from Plastikart. With interest, I’ll see what you get. I think that everything will be very beautiful and dignified.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Olten said:

Tony, it seems to me that the figure and Matchbox Commer Van are closer to 1/87 scale. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks Oleg, I'm always open to correction.  It is possible that the scales are wrong. Here's Mikes take on it:

Matchbox diecast cars are usually 1/75th but the scale of the early stuff is all over the place, some reputed to be nearer 1/100th, and this might be one of them

My Matchbox Price Guide says it's issued in 1959 and is 57mm long, very short for 1/75th! In fact, it's one of the smallest cars in the Price Guide, but I'm not a diecast expert. Paint it half and half, grey and white, with a BOAC decal on the side and you have a service truck!

The figures are a fair bit smaller than the Airfix polythene ones and seem about right for a six foot adult in 1.100. The one next to the Commer looks in proportion to the size of the vehicle so things are near enough to use. I'll be posing the Commer at the back of the display, I want the plane to dominate the scene. It's the overall effect I'm after rather than absolute scale accuracy.

Tony.

• Like 2

Another step or two towards the finish line. The Commer has been striped, undercoated and now given two thin coats of gloss white from a rattle can. The decals are a bit oversized for this one. The gold BOAC lettering might fit the recess on the van sides and the blue script underneath could be cut to provide BOAC lettering for the back of the van. I still need a couple of Speedbirds though. I'll have a go at making some myself over the weekend.

IMG-9445.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 7