FROG BOAC Comet 4 F356 1958

TonyW

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

Tony, I'm really pleased to see what a stunning job you've done with the Comet and the little Commer van is an inspired addition.  Bravo!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, it wouldn't have happened without you supplying the raw material.

The Commer has had its wheels painted black and the centers 'chromed' with a Molotow pen. I'm happy with the way it's going, it looks like it will compliment the plane rather than dominate it.

IMG-9450.jpg

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Olten said:

After applying decals, the van will be very beautiful! Tony, I probably missed something. What silver or chrome did you use to paint the Comet?

I used S 'n J Polishing Powder, rubbed straight into the bare kit plastic. I rub it into the plastic with a tissue or clean rag. The more you polish, the brighter it gets. A wonderful product, unfortunately long out of production. 

IMG_9314.jpg

I used Molotws fantastic inks for the wheels and trims on the van. They really are bright! The most realistic chrome finish I've seen. I use the 1mm and 2mm pens. I've bought the refil pack to try spraying the stuff but I've not tried it yet. Internet clips show it really works well.

Tony.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/molotow-liquid-chrome-markers

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

It's getting closer now, with the Commer van now painted and decaled.

Humbrol grey for the lower bodywork, a Lancaster wing walk decal for the demarcation stripe, as all attempts at masking a thin blue line failed, and BOAC script taken from an aftermarket diecast restoration sheet. I like the BOAC script, I'm less happy with the Speedbirds on the doors. The colour scheme is correct, the scripts are a bit generic but the overall effect is fine by me. A coat or two of clear varnish will be added as soon as the decals have dried off. Then I can glaze the windows and the thing is finished. Next job is to paint up some of the 1.100 scale figures and try out a few setups on the hardstanding. The bigger display base might not get done in time for the end of the GB. I don't want to rush that one, so my gallery entry might be the just the plane and van sat on the hardstanding.

IMG-9463.jpg

IMG-9464.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 14/09/2019 at 07:12, TonyW said:

It's been unavailable for quite some time now Dave. I'm down to my last little bit, just enough to finish this plane in fact.

I've tried some of the other powders out there but they are either too coarse a grit and won't polish into plastic or they are too dark to look like convincing polished ally.

I'm going to experiment with some nail (as in manicure) powders for metallics...they rub into acrylic gel basecoats and give a pretty convincing effect!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

It's getting closer now, with the Commer van now painted and decaled.

Humbrol grey for the lower bodywork, a Lancaster wing walk decal for the demarcation stripe, as all attempts at masking a thin blue line failed, and BOAC script taken from an aftermarket diecast restoration sheet. I like the BOAC script, I'm less happy with the Speedbirds on the doors. The colour scheme is correct, the scripts are a bit generic but the overall effect is fine by me. A coat or two of clear varnish will be added as soon as the decals have dried off. Then I can glaze the windows and the thing is finished. Next job is to paint up some of the 1.100 scale figures and try out a few setups on the hardstanding. The bigger display base might not get done in time for the end of the GB. I don't want to rush that one, so my gallery entry might be the just the plane and van sat on the hardstanding.

IMG-9463.jpg

IMG-9464.jpg

Absolutely stunning...I want one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Postie brought me a very nice parcel this afternoon...

IMG-9472.jpg

A pretty much mint FROG Comet. Listed badly on Ebay, I got it for a reasonable sum rather than the fright I was expecting. It looks nearly brand new, the tube of glue and the bottle of white paint are present and correct along with the transfer sheet, instructions and the great big stand these things came with...

IMG-9473.jpg

There's no chance of this one getting built while I own it, it's a thing of beauty to a collector like me. Having this original kit and the built model above really is the best of both worlds. 

Happy days.  😀

• Like 9

That's really great Tony! Looks like it's just left the factory.

I got a similar treat today. The postie delivered an immaculate Airfix Fairey Firefly Mk.5, Red Stripe box (I think I bought it for the box - the artwork is stunning!). All there and it came from Germany and had a translation of the instructions into German, presumably Airfix did this for the German market? Like yours, no chance of getting built. A dangerous rabbit hole this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Charlie,

Now that I have finished my wartime RN collection (except for the Avenger and maybe a Sea Gladiator)), I will have to start thinking about my Airfix Firefly and Sea Fury to finish off the piston engined breed. After that Attacker and Sea Fury, followed by F4 and Bucc. The stash should be shrinking but it is not very apparent at the moment - oh well!

That is one beautiful job Tony. I am green with envy.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow! what a time warp Tony, that Comet looks to be pretty much mint. I don't blame you wanting to keep it as is, she'e a true time piece of historic modelling. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The wing tank transfers went on today. They put up a bit of a fight trying to get them to wrap around the curves at the tip. A bit of paint touch up will be needed in the morning. I gave the metal areas another polish as well. There's a bit of S 'n J on the wing tank white area that will need dealing with. At that point, the model is complete! I've painted up a couple of figures to set alongside the plane to give a bit of scale to the thing, they will be added once dry and then it's Gallery picture time. 

This build has had me smiling from beginning to end 😊

IMG-9849.jpg

IMG-9848.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Probably the single most build here that encapsulates what’s so good about Frog, this GB and the whole plastic modelling hobby. Seriously outstanding! 

Cheers and very well done.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely superb, not only does it capture the beauty of the original aircraft it also captures the very spirit that has made this GB so special. 

If you remember the Comet originally belonged to @CliffB who generously donated to @TonyW to build.

Tony then introduced many of us to "magic powder" (something i thought only existed in Harry Potter books) for those amazing polished alloy wings.

The end result is something really special and i can imagine it sitting in a glass cabinet in BOAC headquarters to impress the visitors. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2