FROG BOAC Comet 4 F356 1958

TonyW

Here's a kit I never thought I would be adding to the Group Build. Thanks to a quite amazing offer from CliffB I'm able to add a Comet Airliner to the pot! 

The original post is on P29 of the GB Chat page.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032968-frog-squad-gb-chat/page/29/#comments

It turned up here just now, thanks Cliff.

IMG-7913.jpg

As luck would have it, I've just put the finishing touches to my Hunter build and a later Spitfire build is near completion, so there's a gap in the line that looks very Comet shaped to me. 😀

I'll be making a start on this one before the week is out.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 15

Agree with all above, there's some fantastic generosity on this site which is a testament to the Mods and Members on this great site. Well done all. 

This will be a great addition to this GB and Tony's ever expanding classic kit collection. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

The Comet has muscled its way to the front of the line, no surprises there really.

Milliput and airgun pellets now fill the nose to prevent the plane being a tailsitter. Wings and tail surfaces glued and a start made on cleaning up the undercarriage and other little bits. I took the model to my local model club meet last night and the fuselage was closed up. Fit was very good although there's a peak along the top of the fuselage. That will dissapear once the seam is rubbed down. I'll leave things alone for a day or two to let the glue harden, then the sanding commences. 

IMG-7937.jpg

• Like 13

A Comet in BOAC colours! Looking forward to more progress - I guess I’d better not blink or I might miss it!

(and thanks to Cliff B for letting us all enjoy this kit)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Tony

You we're going great guns with this when we last heard from you 

Any chance of an update ?

Cheers Pat

I'll be back on this one before the end of the week Pat.

I've been itching to crack on with it for some time now and can't wait to make a fresh start on it.

• Like 5

Well, the re-boot is underway, with a bit of sanding down of the fuselage peak. Things are are nice and round now, with primer to be added in a minute or two. The fuselage should be dry enough to top coat the white areas tomorrow, then the wings and undercarriage can get a bit of attention.

IMG-9122.jpg

• Like 8

A fair amount of progress today,

The fuselage top got its white gloss finish this morning and after a day in the sun I made a start on the transfers. Sixty plus years old and they work like a dream, I'm impressed. I cut the side stripes into short lengths, just in case they gave problems, they didn't though.

IMG-9128.jpg

The fit around the canopy was a bit of a problem. The blue stripe should run back to the tail from the top of the canopy, as seen on the box top. The stripe really does look the business like that, very shark like.

The kit transfers do a weird loop up over the cockpit if you follow the window cutout over the canopy glass. I've run the stripe a little lower to be able to follow the canopy top line by cutting away the offending areas once the transfers are dry. A bit of paint touch up should see things work out, hopefully. Ditto the blue tail transfer. A bit of touch up will be needed to tidy things up there. 

IMG-9131.jpg

So far, I'm really pleased with todays efforts. More tomorrow!

• Like 12

A review of BOAC Comet 4 images on the web shows a larger degree of variation in the applied livery than I would have guessed.

Here's G-APDA

73620_big.jpg

Here's the only Comet 3, G-ANLO

1434584922463.jpg

G-APDS

BOAC-Comet-4-Mel-Lawrence-airliners-net-

G-APDJ - look how the cheatline wraps around and under the nose

230447_big.jpg

• Like 6

Ooh. Never seen one of these in the wild so will look on with interest. 

I think the Comet 4 is the most beautiful post war British airliner (VC-10 is an honourable silver medal winner).

Isn’t this in the ‘odd’ 1/96 scale?

Trevor 

Very interesting. Thanks for the pictures.

They all run in a line from the top of the cockpit glazing. The FROG transfers wont do that as they are. I'll be taking another look at the situation in the morning. A bit of careful retouching should get me out of trouble here. I'll try to take the lower line of the cheat to the middle of the nose, as shown on the boxart.

I'll be staying with the FROG default registration of G-BOAC. 

It's coming along really nicely Tony.  The sun-bleaching of the decals seems to have worked well too - I thought the 'BOAC' against the white of the fuselage would have been a problem.

Keep up the good work!

Cliff