F-104G KLu Starfighter - *FINISHED!*

• 2 weeks later...

Long time, no update...

These are Dutch Decals squadron badges and serials to create the specific number and tail design of this 311 sqn aircraft:

tn_IMG_20190816_182401 tn_IMG_20190816_182345

Decals all on - sadly couldn't stop some silvering over the green paint, which is irritating - hope it will be masked by the flat coat.

tn_IMG_20190824_105816 tn_IMG_20190824_105833

I don't usually add panel lines wash or emphasis for the sake of it, but there do seem to be outlines of many panels on the photos of the aircraft, so I went for it:

tn_IMG_20190825_090733 tn_IMG_20190825_090717

As a test case for further weathering, I weathered the drop tanks as these were detachable items. The pilot tells me the aircraft had a great crew chief who kept it in top condition.

tn_IMG_20190825_101835

You can see where the decals silvering occurred. Very annoying.

Alan

• Like 1

Flat coat applied, using Testors Dullcote:

tn_IMG_20190825_090754

You can still make out two areas of silvering on the starboard wing and forward fin area. looks like I'll be applying some weathering after all...

tn_IMG_20190825_090655

Otherwise the Italeri decals were excellent, as good as any aftermarket ones I've used before. At least some manufacturers can get this part right - credit also to AIrfix, whose decals always seem to work for me. I use MicroSet and Sol as setting agents, usually does the job.

Now I began the additional detailing - starting with the gun bay:

tn_IMG_20190826_183353

Busied it up with lead wire and black enamelled copper wire, and some leftover placards from an Eduard set.

tn_IMG_20190826_184907

Like the cockpit and seat, I'm really pleased how this turned out! Just need to add the ammo belt when I find a suitable-looking piece of scrap or PE.

Hope to have this finished by next week, two months ahead of schedule! Thank God for lots of days off 😁

Alan

• Like 5

Looking really good, Alan. you might be able to reduce the silvering on the decals by pricking them with a pin and re - applying decal solvent like microsol, which sometimes works.

Also, a lot of the F-104's I've seen had a canvas type cover over the mechanism of the M61 cannon, which might interest you, but your gun looks excellent as it is.  :cheers:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Looking really good, Alan. you might be able to reduce the silvering on the decals by pricking them with a pin and re - applying decal solvent like microsol, which sometimes works.

Also, a lot of the F-104's I've seen had a canvas type cover over the mechanism of the M61 cannon, which might interest you, but your gun looks excellent as it is.  :cheers:

Thanks very much, and also for the pin tip. I’ve had a go with a curved scalpel already and it’s reduced the impact. I’m waiting for the courage to go after them with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, that really does the job but it’s a risk...

I'm glad you brought up the canvas/fabric cover, I haven’t seen a Dutch interior with it, but some of the Luftwaffe and USAF photos have them. But not all...! I’ll see how I feel when I fit the doors 😁

Thanks again, Alan

On the final straight with this build now:

tn_IMG_20190829_152651

Weathering completed - haven't gone overboard because this was, in case i haven't mentioned it before, a well-kept aircraft!

tn_IMG_20190829_152706

After seeing these photos, I attacked those pesky decals with a scalpel and Tamiya Extra Thin. The big reveal will follow tomorrow..!

tn_IMG_20190829_152800

And this Starfighter has wheels at last. Gear doors to follow shortly...

tn_IMG_20190829_153016

I also added these ECM bumps which I believe are only found on KLu Starfighters - all are carved from bits of other kits, mostly the Revell 1/32 Hunter:

tn_IMG_20190829_183033 tn_IMG_20190829_183039

More photos to follow tomorrow - drop tanks, gear doors and gun bay hatches are all fitted and drying as we speak!

Alan

• Like 4

On 8/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, Starfighter said:

Looking really good, Alan. I can almost hear that famous howl ! :cheers:

Yeah, that J79 howl with the plume of smoke trailing behind, good memories!

I've actually finished this build now, so here's the closing photos:

tn_IMG_20190830_160618

Boarding ladder - colours varied but I have good reference photos showing these at Volkel in about 1978 as galvanised metal with very worn handrails and rusty bolts! This was included in the kit and pretty accurate.

Finished gun bay with the ammunition feed, taken from the Eduard set for the F-4E Phantom:

tn_IMG_20190830_171601

Really pleased how this came out, decided not to add the fabric cover in the end.

Finished cockpit with PE cockpit sills and detail:

tn_IMG_20190830_171646

And here's the finished piece!

tn_IMG_20190830_172901 tn_IMG_20190830_173653 tn_IMG_20190830_173718 tn_IMG_20190830_173802

The Tamiya Extra Thin really helped with the decals silvering. Although it didn't completely eliminate it on the wing tip tanks, the wings, tail and fuselage decals look much better. Recommend it as an option but take care over acrylic paints! A lacquer or enamel undercoat will provide protection against the glue.

tn_IMG_20190830_173825

Well, that's another build ticked off. I'd very much recommend this kit, it's big, well-detailed and pretty accurate as well as being very easy to build. The kit decals are also excellent. Well done Italeri, look forward to trying out this company's Mirage and F-35 in this scale.

Thanks to all who followed and commented, and for providing assistance and help along the way. I look forward to seeing the intended recipient getting his hands on this!

Alan

• Like 4

You've done an amazing job, Alan, and one you should br proud of. I've built this kit as an airplane from JaboG 32 of the Luftwaffe, and also the Hasegawa kit in the early overall light grey of the Netherlands AF . . . If I could work out how to post pictures here I would !  :cheers:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

You've done an amazing job, Alan, and one you should br proud of. I've built this kit as an airplane from JaboG 32 of the Luftwaffe, and also the Hasegawa kit in the early overall light grey of the Netherlands AF . . . If I could work out how to post pictures here I would !  :cheers:

Thanks very much, I hope there's definitely another one of these kits in my future, would like to build a German Navy version if I get a chance.

• Like 1

Thank you Alan! Amazing! The pictures don't do justice to seeing the model in real life! Absolutely stunning and it feels like you can just climb in and fly it! If only I could shrink myself 32 times ;)

Thanks again!

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:36 PM, MvD said:

Thank you Alan! Amazing! The pictures don't do justice to seeing the model in real life! Absolutely stunning and it feels like you can just climb in and fly it! If only I could shrink myself 32 times ;)

Thanks again!

You're most welcome, thanks for making me a modelling celeb with the result 😂😂😂