# Not a TOPGUN GWH Mig-29 ...but a regular one # FINISHED #

Dansk

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Hi Paul, any progress to report on your excellent Mig-29?

Sorry craig the MiG-21 has took over a little in focus recently.

I had been sanding and filling the 29’s nacelles ad infinitum and i temporarily got bored of doing that :)

i should prioritize this with the dates really.

i had a nuts idea of building the second 29 in tandem, and learning from the first one - no cracked canopy better fitting nacelles...

• Like 1

Thought i’d give it a coat of primer to see how everything was looking, used the ‘cracked’ canopy tacked in place for now.

I didnt get a photo of the underside but it looked ok, so i think just a touch more filling and sanding and panel line engraving and riveting and we’re good to move on 🤪🤗 

48684742196_e0492aed96_c.jpg

I think i might actually go ahead and use the canopy so i can move on with the build its such a micro hairline that i cant see it unless i really investigate and know its there. If it annoys me when its done then i’ll make a ‘craig tarpaulin cover’ ™®

The bonus about having bought the extra kit is that now i can have a weapons load out thats accurate : for the outer pylons using 4 x r60s for one kit and 4 x r73s for the other kit - so serge will be thrilled and we’ll all be happy 😁

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good job on the pre-shading Paul, looks neater than mine would if I had done it with a brush!

Glad to know I'm not the only aerial killer out there, i leave as many off as possible to the end too.

Thanks craig but in the flesh its not so neat - looks like Michael j. Fox did it after a very strong coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steaming ahead this evening…

I love it when its time to put paint on! 🤗 
The underside has had a generous coat of vallejo av71277 (dark gull gray)
I stopped at this level where the preshading is not too intense but is still evident.

48713195106_56514ed05c_k.jpg

48712867443_197e2842b4_b.jpg

48713360167_952ed00d13_h.jpg

48713360172_01b27f492b_c.jpg

I gave the missiles a coat of DGG too while it was in the airbrush (as the white paint wont cover the black preshading so well)

Cant wait to move on to the top side! 🤗

• Like 3

The upper half has had a lick of paint now, i love the soviet mig-29 colours 😎🤗
I’ve been a little overzealous with the paint in areas this time craig so i’ll have to post-shade where too much preshading has disappeared 😯

48718189478_c0b48e42af_b.jpg

48718189503_2c696d664c_b.jpg

48718526686_4f5510bffe_b.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Looks good to me Paul, very good in fact.

Before you re-do the paint have a look at some pics of well used Fulcrums and see if they weather evenly or not as a lot of aircraft don't due to the different materials under the paint and if the paint has been touched up in any places before.

Thanks craig i’ll do that 👍

• Like 1

Im a big fan of preshading paul,  panel lines, black and white ,or  in colour for that matter , this is a great result, you got the top coat just right by the looks of it, as i believe craig has suggested ,i think its starting to look like what a well used fulcrum would look like , I'd  be happy here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Muchos gratias fellas. I’ve given the ‘green grey’ areas a fresh coat this eve, it was virtually invisible when i looked at it with fresh eyes. The second coat has darkened it a touch but i think vallejos green is bit lighter than a lot of references.

well anyway i like the faded subtle look theres a bunch of weathered mig-29’s out there where it fits.

Am gonna add some more post shading before moving on though. 

i bought some brass rod also to attempt to locate and mount the horizontal stabilizers again, that’ll be a first so am looking forward to that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Muchos gratias fellas.

We (muchacho's

in this topic 😁) all completely froze with guitar:

in waiting for the new photo Your MiG-29!

😉😁

B.R.

Sergio, 

señor Sergio!

😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You might like this one serge too ;)

😂

But returning to modelling stuff....

After adjusting all the pre-shading so i was happy (applying more shading here and there, and covering shaded parts in other areas) The MiG has now been treated to a bunch of masking and airbrushing dark gray and black sections.
That vallejo green in the camo is still near indistinguishable from the gray in shots, they definately made it too light but i’m going with it now to move on - its just a heavily sun-bleached look ;) 😉🌞

48766154988_e5f3633763_b.jpg
48766688677_d85f91f599_b.jpg
48766486876_60402b9d9f_b.jpg
48766688817_ebe3895cac_b.jpg

The subtle preshading on the r-60 and r-27 ordnance i think is at quite a nice level - you just delicately sense it. With washes etc later it should feel good i hope. 🤞
48766487026_6e14069864_b.jpg
48766486931_fff8b83389_b.jpg

Thanks for reading🙏

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Paul.

I think that you are right that Vallejo have done the green too light, does make it look faded though.

Nice to see the details such as the radome and dielectic panels being painted, means decals are not that far off!

Couldn’t live with that vallejo gray green craig after seeing it in daylight today it was invisible so i re-did all the green parts today mixing my own colour. I shot it in a lightbox to attempt to show the colour accurately here.

48771891312_675d76923b_h.jpg

48771354893_499b1fe031_h.jpg

I keyed everything down finally with a light fine mist of gray at the end but the black anti-glare panel (and radome) got a little ‘speckly’ (not enough thinner in the gray paint mix - silly mistake) and the other new panels too, so i’ll have to give them a delicate once-over tomorrow. 

The airframe and ordnance got an initial coat of future this eve to protect the majority of the paint.

This evening i also made a start on the landing gear legs, quite an intricate well-detailed construction in this kit, but i plan to detail it further with PE from the eduard wheel set (designed for the academy kit) and with solder wire too.
Looking forward to ‘lock’ the paint on the airframe and move on to decalling seem to be going around and around in circles.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dansk said:
22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Paul.

I think that you are right that Vallejo have done the green too light, does make it look faded though.

Nice to see the details such as the radome and dielectic panels being painted, means decals are not that far off!

Couldn’t live with that vallejo gray green craig after seeing it in daylight today it was invisible so i re-did all the green parts today mixing my own colour. I shot it in a lightbox to attempt to show the colour accurately here.

48771891312_675d76923b_h.jpg

48771354893_499b1fe031_h.jpg

I keyed everything down finally with a light fine mist of gray at the end but the black anti-glare panel (and radome) got a little ‘speckly’ (not enough thinner in the gray paint mix - silly mistake) and the other new panels too, so i’ll have to give them a delicate once-over tomorrow. 

In principle, they (real MiG-29) usually fade to such a state that the shades of colors differ very poorly, but then there should be a burned- weathering   out insignia and all the stencil and all tactical number and all emblems.

There is really one caveat, with such a weathering, the plane usually has lighter shades than your model.

🤗

B.R.

Serge

I think that the re-mixed green does look better than the original Vallejo colour, you can make it out much better.

I also think that this will capture the worn and faded of the original very well, especially if (as Serge suggests) you fade the national markings too, which is actually easier than you think as you just need to give them a light sanding like I did in this Mig-25 I built a couple of years ago;

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input chaps - always warmly recieved. 🙏

Serge you can sleep soundly, it’s lighter than those pics suggest.
I’ve ‘over’ brightened this shot here to show how it ‘feels’ in daylight...

But as the process develops and i start weathering it will progress.

48777183808_48bce7ea57_h.jpg

Craig I will check out your MiG-25 build shortly for the sanding trick, thanks! Yes the markings definately stand out like a sore thumb right now. I made a c-47 and a mosquito recently where i faded the markings with a highly diluted thinned gray which worked ok too but i’m always up for trying / learning new skills 👍

The decaling process has finally started. 🤗

48777726407_ef0438c7bc_h.jpg

I need to puncture and microsol the small stencils further before they bed in adaquately.

48777540126_d1cbf1f405_h.jpg

Serge i’ve turned the kit decals upside down to create a 10 from a 01 as we discussed (what seems like eons ago)

But see here at the top if the tail fins? - where it points out decals A7 and A19?

48777184228_1772040a54_b.jpg

Can you enlighten me on some numbers that i can put there that will be period and area correct?
(As i have infinite options with my AM stencil sheet - for here and other areas.)
48777726637_0ee352639b_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3