# Not a TOPGUN GWH Mig-29 ...but a regular one # FINISHED #

Dansk

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

As I don't know what the heck I'm doing

Welcome to my world! Somehow I've been getting away with it at work for the past 32 years though :) .

I think your paint matching is spot on Paul, Eduard are notorious for using colours that are not exactly the same as available paints for cockpits but I think you've got them beat with your mix, and well done for mixing extra!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to my world! Somehow I've been getting away with it at work for the past 32 years though :) .

I think your paint matching is spot on Paul, Eduard are notorious for using colours that are not exactly the same as available paints for cockpits but I think you've got them beat with your mix, and well done for mixing extra!

Thanks Craig for the positive vibes as always 👍😉

Just been working on the whhels among other things:

I think its quite interesting comparing eduards aftermarket resin wheels and the kit wheels.

Gwh’s wheels (fore and aft) slot into their tyres and fit beautifully
Allowing you to paint them seperately 
Eduards aft rely on mask positioning for one side.

Also the gwh kit has weighted wheels 
and brilliantly they have slots (red) in the tyres to accept the hub and a half moon hole (yellow) so the weighted wheel will only sit in the weighted correct position.

48349310112_25c16498a3_c.jpg

The eduard nose gear has a variety of hub choices but they are very difficult to fit as those tiny thin resin parts need the back part sanding off flush and its near impossible for my 5 thumbs to manage to get it so thin and flat and not graze the edges seems ill thought out. So a flush clean result on the eduard nose wheels is really hard.
The kit’s hubs slot in like the main gear. So much better so easy to get a clean result.

48349175211_046c6985dc_c.jpg

So i think the kit allows easier assembly but eduard’s details are a little better - not a drastic amount though. If i did this kit again i’d save on the aftermarket wheels. 

Right now i’m not sure which set to go with. Eduards main gear is on the left below by the way.

48349311837_ccd8823899_c.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

I like the weighted tires of the kit and I like the axle detail of the resin.  But in this case I would compare against reference photos.  It looks like there is a fair difference in the aspect ratio (sidewall height) of the tire between the 2.  I would personally run whichever one the eyeball deems the closest fit, since you've already got both sets all painted up.  If you go with the resin, you can always sand a bit off the bottom to create a weighted illusion.  You won't get the sidewall bulge w/o adding some putty, but a lot of times just a little sanding of the bottom of the tire creates enough of the illusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There really isn't that much difference between them is there, and like Chris I would pick the one which visually look the closest to the original.

I don't like the way Eduard have done the nose wheel though, as you say it will be very tricky to get those wheels off perfectly.

By the way do you fancy building your original choice in another GB?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

By the way do you fancy building your original choice in another GB?

I think one MiG-29 will suffice for just now Craig,

Hopefully I'm gonna build an early F-16 in the year i was born GB soon also, (which will run parallel to this MiG build pretty much) so my hands will be full for a bit.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 10:53 PM, modelling minion said:

Oh don't worry the GB I am thinking of is happening next year at the earliest and needs people to sign up for it, hint, hint :) .

Done ;)

The MiG’s ejection seat is pretty much done now

48373075417_039620737d_b.jpg

48373075412_e7f9690d36_b.jpg

48373075407_0d151d120f_b.jpg

The nozzles i had kinda sorted-ish..

48372992556_91cbd29dd0_b.jpg

but think they lacked something they looked sorta too nice - so i am trying salt weathering out for the first time to echo the look of some MiG-29 nozzles i’ve seen. 

Let’s see what happens 🤞

48373000111_78f0970152_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words fellas.
After the salt wash and some more weathering - here’s how the nozzles are looking right now, you can see some of the speckle tarnished feel from the salt. Its a bit hit and miss with experimenting but i think its ok.

48373748437_2c09d99bd5_b.jpg

Its a bit tricky to pic up the colours in the photo, but theres some blues from some angles and then golds and browns from others, 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

The MiG’s ejection seat is pretty much done now

48373075417_039620737d_b.jpg

48373075412_e7f9690d36_b.jpg

48373075407_0d151d120f_b.jpg

Something is missing!😉

Photo MiG-29 ejection seat from Wikipedia:

k36d34lb.jpg

Details photo stencil:

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/DSC00889.html

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/DSC00890.html

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/DSC00887.html

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/DSC00876.html

Attention!  In this photo, one white stencil  is already applied in Poland, that is, it is not on the Russian ejection seat(!):

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/IM000048.html

Attention!  In this photo, one red stencil  is already applied in Poland, that is, it is not on the Russian ejection seat(!):

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/IM000049.html

Resource & more photo:

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel K-36/Galeria/Galeria.htm

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

Thanks Serge 

Im not making the super-accurate model that you’d like me to make though, that wouldnt be fun for me I’m afraid.

The seat I made is looking like the one in my reference book, it’ll do the job. 👍

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Im not making the super-accurate model that you’d like me to make though, that wouldnt be fun for me I’m afraid.

I do not insist on what You would be built super-accurate model!

But stencil on headrest most visible part ejection seat. 

Unfortunately, most manufacturers (now about 80-90 %, early was almost 100%) ignore them in their decals.

However, each modeller has in stock residual decals with different stencil  & tables!

And I very, very much doubt that if you show this model on any model show in Denmark, someone will be able to read the stencil on the headrest if this was English stencils but no Russian.

😉

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I do not insist on what You would be built super-accurate model!

But stencil on headrest most visible part ejection seat. 

Unfortunately, most manufacturers (now about 80-90 %, early was almost 100%) ignore them in their decals.

However, each modeller has in stock residual decals with different stencil  & tables!

And I very, very much doubt that if you show this model on any model show in Denmark, someone will be able to read the stencil on the headrest if this was English stencils but no Russian.

😉

B.R.

Serge

thanks serge much appreciated ;-)

This weekend I had to completely remix and repaint the cockpit 🙄
The previous colour compared to the photoetch colour was just too way off despite my attempts, it just looked wrong when the photoetch was applied. So now thats sorted.

48399021711_842041ef14_b.jpg

I’ve also given parts of the cockpit a wash, i will pull this back and add colour detail and a dry brush at the next stage.

48399021376_f4eb154c69_b.jpg

I’ve been working on giving the gear bays also adding definition and assembly.

48399021796_fa5d97be7a_b.jpg

48399164367_e2d3e5c71c_b.jpg

48399164267_a4149d3423_b.jpg

Also added a suggestive stencil or two to allow serge to sleep at night. 😂
They are absolutely microscopic. 🔍
(I need to matt coat that bit so that the escaping glue is hidden.)

48399021301_e2225a3e2c_b.jpg[/

..but I’m thinking about adding some more detail to the seat also, 🤔

here’s a start:

48399174202_aafb73d516_b.jpg

Think that’s it on the MiGs progress.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dansk said:

This weekend I had to completely remix and repaint the cockpit 🙄
The previous colour compared to the photoetch colour was just too way off despite my attempts, it just looked wrong when the photoetch was applied. So now thats sorted.

48399021711_842041ef14_b.jpg

I’ve also given parts of the cockpit a wash, i will pull this back and add colour detail and a dry brush at the next stage.

48399021376_f4eb154c69_b.jpg

I’ve been working on giving the gear bays also adding definition and assembly.

48399021796_fa5d97be7a_b.jpg

48399164367_e2d3e5c71c_b.jpg

48399164267_a4149d3423_b.jpg

Also added a suggestive stencil or two to allow serge to sleep at night. 😂
They are absolutely microscopic. 🔍
(I need to matt coat that bit so that the escaping glue is hidden.)

48399021301_e2225a3e2c_b.jpg[/

..but I’m thinking about adding some more detail to the seat also, 🤔

here’s a start:

48399174202_aafb73d516_b.jpg

Think that’s it on the MiGs progress.

😍😍😍

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Nice work.  You are not helping me in my attempt to stay focused on my current projects (2 of which are getting close to the end).  My eye keeps drifting over to the Su-17 sitting next to the desk...whispering it's seductive calls.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great work Paul!

Having to repaint the cockpit is a pain but it certainly looks very good now, and the work you have done on the undercarriage bays looks superb.

Serge is happy with your seat and that says it all! Very nice, but don't get too involved in adding details to the seat as I know how easy it is to get drawn in to adding "just one more detail"!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Nice work.  You are not helping me in my attempt to stay focused on my current projects (2 of which are getting close to the end).  My eye keeps drifting over to the Su-17 sitting next to the desk...whispering it's seductive calls.  :lol:

Might have to add one of those to the stash myself actually Chris, such a cool looking aircraft. 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Give in to the voices Chris, build the Fitter, build the Fitter......

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great work Paul!

Having to repaint the cockpit is a pain but it certainly looks very good now, and the work you have done on the undercarriage bays looks superb.

Serge is happy with your seat and that says it all! Very nice, but don't get too involved in adding details to the seat as I know how easy it is to get drawn in to adding "just one more detail"!

Thanks Craig that’s really kind of you. I will make a conscious decision to resist over detailing. Thanks for the tip. We must keep serge happy though 😁

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 2

This evening i added some yellow and black to the nose gear bay roof details 
and a bit of warm dirt to parts where the photo ref suggested.
(Mine looks warmer and darker grey in the photo but the phone camera kinda bleaches the reflective paper image in reality their hues match closer. Its hard to photograph).

48408297937_7da0f9a805_k.jpg

The stencil in the ref photo (that my thumb points too) - I found a decal similar colour shape and size that can I use there to replicate it. So the area’s been given some future ready for that decal. 👍

(Again sorry - near impossible to shoot the decals as the camera bleaches it out and makes it blurred / unclear /  too contrasty)

48408146451_7b721d953c_b.jpg

Dry fitted the seat for fun but found that eduards leg straps PE on the seat interfered with the control stick rubber sleeve at the base preventing the ejection seat from seating in the correct spot. 🤨
So that sleeve had to be shaved down, touched up, 
and the leg straps removed, repositioned, reattached and touched up. 🙄
Now it fits. 💪 hurrah!

48408146676_d3f9c4fca6_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

More very nice work Paul.

A very good job that you test fitted the seat now before joining all the cockpit parts together as it would have been very tricky afterwards.

Your nose gear bay looks very good to me with nice detail painting. That decal for the stenciling will look very good once in place, and it will make Serge very happy :) .

• Thanks 1