Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 935 Turbo build

Do you mean the raised “rubber” borders around the window apertures? If so, I usually do those with a Sharpie or Magic Marker type black pen. Get one with a “chisel” (rectangular, tapered) tip rather than a circular bullet tip. Then, working from inside the window aperture, you can usually “hook” the sharp edge of the window frame into the felt tip, and adjust the angle of the pen until it’s leaving ink on the raised area but no further, then just swipe around the window, fine tuning the angle at the corners so the line stays the right width and the pen doesn’t unhook. Depending on the exact set up on the real car, you can use the same technique with silver as well as black to do a chrome and rubber combo, and even add another black edge to the glazing to replicate a rubber-chrome-rubber gasket... 

Take a bit of time in the stationers/art shop to try out different markers for density, and get a couple of different kinds to test for paint compatibility... some of the best-painting are actually pretty “hot” and can wrinkle paint or soften plastic!

But a good one will last a LOT of car windows....

best,

M.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Do you mean the raised “rubber” borders around the window apertures? If so, I usually do those with a Sharpie or Magic Marker type black pen.

Yep those are the ones. That's a great suggestion and I'm going to give it a try. Is the pen supposed to be a permanent ink type? How do you find the adhesion to bare plastic?

It's got to be better than my piddle poor attempts so far. I've resprayed the main body this evening and it's reached a point where I probably have enough paint on it and can move to clear coat in a day or so. I haven't removed the masking tape yet though, so this could change!

I think these are pretty good:

https://www.pentelshop.co.uk/p/n60-permanent-marker

Available pretty much in any good stationers/office supplies. There are some good Sharpies as well, and “paint markers”. You want a good, dense, permanent marker that will write on glass or plastic (I had one meant for writing on recorded CDs when that was a thing, and it was great). 10 minutes in the shop with a spare bit of plastic to try them on will pay dividends...

beat,

M.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last, some progress to report. First off a shot of the completed underside with wheels and tyres test fitted. They seemed OK, but a few minor adjustments were needed for ride height. Not that it's going to be ridden in much.

spacer.png

Here are the completed wheels and tyres. After spending ages painting the inner sections of the front wheels gold I found that it was a complete waste of time as they can't be seen. Oh well. Dunlop logos added in yellow as per instructions

spacer.png

The whole cockpit/chassis assembly with roll cage and added wiring next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The front suspension damper screws will need cutting dow. To get the ride height as I wanted it there's just a tiny bit sticking proud of the body line. The engine bay brace and a few other tiny bits of detail are still to be added, but it's nearly done

spacer.png

Unfortunately, when I offered up the bonnet and had another look at it, it was obvious that there was too much paint on it, and that the finish was poor. A couple of pieces of dust had spoiled the finish so some of it had to be rubbed down.

While I was doing that I was unhappy that the quick release bonnet catches had become too obscured so I filed them off. I'm having a go at making some news ones which can be seen on a piece of tape net to the image below. I cut these out of plastic card and partly drilled through to mimic a rivet on the other side. The clips themselves are made of a thin (G I think) guitar string bent round a cocktail stick. Not perfect, but I'll see how it looks in silver.....

spacer.png

And finally, most of the body shell although picture quality isn't the best. The excess paint around the window apertures has been removed and resprayed. The rear wing was a pain in the proverbial and had to be done twice. My masking technique needs a lot of work! Not much to do now. The doors need making up and the window surrounds need to be coloured in (with pen as suggested) before decal application. Mine is the No.3 car with blue spoiler.

I am aiming to give a final coat of gloss acrylic lacquer and I've already used it on this kit with no issues with good effect. It's a car type can from Halfords, but I wonder if it will be OK on top of decals anyone?

Thanks for looking

spacer.png

Edited by Martin1962
typos
  • Like 5

Hi Martin,

This looks really nice so far, did you test fit the doors to the body before you painted it?

With regards to spraying lacquer over any decals, be very careful!

You need to build up the lacquer in very thin "mist" coats to build up a barrier between the decals and the final "wet" coats, if you do not do this the decals will most likely just dissolve.

It's best to do a test on a "mule" before working on the body of your model.

Keep up the good work

Keith.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Hi Martin,

This looks really nice so far, did you test fit the doors to the body before you painted it?

With regards to spraying lacquer over any decals, be very careful!

You need to build up the lacquer in very thin "mist" coats to build up a barrier between the decals and the final "wet" coats, if you do not do this the decals will most likely just dissolve.

It's best to do a test on a "mule" before working on the body of your model.

Keep up the good work

Keith.

Thanks for the tip Keith. I have two sets of decals for this kit, but I'd rather not use them both by messing it up. I'll see what it looks like without lacquer and take it from there. Yes, I did test fit the doors and they look OK. I lacquered the rear wing and it's managed to ruin the semi gloss paint by showing up the white underneath. No idea why that's happened - it hasn't with any other colour. This is becoming a labour of love.

Edited by Martin1962
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man.....these big builds have insane detail. Looks great so far Martin.

Thanks. I'm not sure I want to do another one. Shame because Tamiya has re-released the Jagermeister version and I always wanted that one as a kid.

21 hours ago, Martin1962 said:

At last, some progress to report. First off a shot of the completed underside with wheels and tyres test fitted. They seemed OK, but a few minor adjustments were needed for ride height. Not that it's going to be ridden in much.

spacer.png

Here are the completed wheels and tyres. After spending ages painting the inner sections of the front wheels gold I found that it was a complete waste of time as they can't be seen. Oh well. Dunlop logos added in yellow as per instructions

spacer.png

The whole cockpit/chassis assembly with roll cage and added wiring next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The front suspension damper screws will need cutting dow. To get the ride height as I wanted it there's just a tiny bit sticking proud of the body line. The engine bay brace and a few other tiny bits of detail are still to be added, but it's nearly done

spacer.png

Unfortunately, when I offered up the bonnet and had another look at it, it was obvious that there was too much paint on it, and that the finish was poor. A couple of pieces of dust had spoiled the finish so some of it had to be rubbed down.

While I was doing that I was unhappy that the quick release bonnet catches had become too obscured so I filed them off. I'm having a go at making some news ones which can be seen on a piece of tape net to the image below. I cut these out of plastic card and partly drilled through to mimic a rivet on the other side. The clips themselves are made of a thin (G I think) guitar string bent round a cocktail stick. Not perfect, but I'll see how it looks in silver.....

spacer.png

And finally, most of the body shell although picture quality isn't the best. The excess paint around the window apertures has been removed and resprayed. The rear wing was a pain in the proverbial and had to be done twice. My masking technique needs a lot of work! Not much to do now. The doors need making up and the window surrounds need to be coloured in (with pen as suggested) before decal application. Mine is the No.3 car with blue spoiler.

I am aiming to give a final coat of gloss acrylic lacquer and I've already used it on this kit with no issues with good effect. It's a car type can from Halfords, but I wonder if it will be OK on top of decals anyone?

Thanks for looking

spacer.png

Like the scratch built bonnet latches, nice work that. Looking very nice Martin. I'm using Tamiya Lacquer to avoid any issues with different types of paint. Sweet build. 

Keep it going Martin, and they do become a labour of love....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Martin1962 said:

Thanks. I'm not sure I want to do another one. Shame because Tamiya has re-released the Jagermeister version and I always wanted that one as a kid.

Well, yes, but when? I've had one on pre-order since August!

Not such a hassle, I've got the Lola to address first!😳

Edited by MR2Don

2 hours ago, MR2Don said:

I've got two 1/32 warplanes - Phantom and F16, 1/72 Valiant,Phantom, Skyhawk, Nimrod, Buccaneer and TSR2 and a 1/48 TSR in the way first. Not counting the 1/48 Hunter and Sea Vixen on pre-order, by which time the Airfix 1/72 will have been released. No time for more cars !! Oh, and I've got a movie room to have built, wire up, kit out and get going before Easter 2020. All other plans are on hold!

Edited by Martin1962

11 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Hiroboy just announced the estimated delivery date will be tomorrow Nov. 21st.

https://www.hiroboy.com/112_Porsche_Turbo_RSR_934_Jagermeister_wPhotoEtched_Parts_PreOrder--product--13242.html

13 hours ago, Martin1962 said:

Thanks for the tip Keith. I have two sets of decals for this kit, but I'd rather not use them both by messing it up. I'll see what it looks like without lacquer and take it from there. Yes, I did test fit the doors and they look OK. I lacquered the rear wing and it's managed to ruin the semi gloss paint by showing up the white underneath. No idea why that's happened - it hasn't with any other colour. This is becoming a labour of love.

Hi Martin,

Lacquer can be quite "hot" even the acrylic based ones, if you apply it too heavily it may attack the paint below, so always build it up gradually. The Halfords range of paint and lacquer can be quite aggressive (I use this on my 1/8 car builds as it goes further with the bigger can size!)

I think all car builds benefit from a clear coat it helps tie in the finish and the decals, also it protects the decals, as over time they can lift and curl at the edges if not properly sealed in.

You may be better off finishing this with a semi gloss finish rather than a full gloss as the race cars of this era did't always have a show room shine.

Tamiya make a very good semi gloss which I use regularly (TS79) but again it needs to be built up in very light coats to prevent issues.

Regards

Keith

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Martin1962 said:

Can you post some photos? I'm still tempted.

I haven't got any photos yet but here is a link to a really good in box review

if you shop around you can get the kit for ÂŁ119 rather than the RRP of ÂŁ134.

• Like 1

Interesting and obviously most of the parts are the same as the 935. It's reasonably priced I think and although I'm tempted I'll be honest in saying that the 935 has become a real labour of love and I'm not sure I have the stamina to do another one. Having said that, they'd look great together. If you're planning on building it soon I'll be very keen to see how you get on.

I'm currently waiting for a chance to get a proper black marker to do the window surrounds with. So far, the black ones I've tried are not very black. Once I have that issue solved I'll be going to decals and that's pretty much it.

Hi Martin,

Yes the kits do share a lot of parts, I'm not planning to start mine in the near future as I have several other projects in progress, but i will start early  next year.

with regards to paint pens I use POSCA paint pens, they are available;able in different nib sizes and give a good finish, however the paint can be a little fragile on some glossy surfaces so its best to seal it with a clear coat of some kind. I brought mine from Hobby craft.

Hope this helps

Regards

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Following this with great interest. I bought one when they were first released (it cost ÂŁ20 which was a heck of a lot of money then) and I thoroughly enjoyed building it. During the course of several moves it became wrecked and I always wanted to get another one. I finally achieved my goal last month.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, silver911 said:

It's safe to visit the site...I get the same error in 'Chrome'...and I built the site lol

I got the same error too but advanced on your advice. That’s beautiful work, Ron, if mine turns out anything half as good I will be very happy.