Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 935 Turbo build

On 9/2/2019 at 12:57 AM, Martin1962 said:

At last I've managed to get the photos sorted, so a progress update........

The engine is coming along. These are the air boxes. I wanted to try and replicate some kind of jubilee clips and after a lot of messing about ended up with this. Quite simply some very thinly cut masking tape with the end of a phot etched cable tie glued on

spacer.png

Next is the main assembly with the cooling fan. I wanted to have a go at replicating the glass fibre effect so followed some advice on here and used some net curtain melted into place with liquid glue. Messy, but it is reasonably effective. A wash of Tamiya Smoke was applied over the top. You can also see the photo etched cable ties in place. Most of this will be hidden by the air boxes and buried in the engine bay anyway!

spacer.png

And the most up to date photo of the engine/transmission below is the assembly with fan belts and air boxes attached. The fuel injection pump is attached but the leads are yet to go in. All in all this has been a very complex build so far, but the completion of the engine,transmission and suspension is nearly done. I'm going to add a few extra hoses and cables for good measure

spacer.png

Finally, the fuel tank, which again was subjected to the net curtain method of fibre-glassing. Not yet painted and various parts yet to be added. Needs a bot of tidying up first.

spacer.png

G'day Martin,

Great progress so far. I had not heard of this net curtain material method for replicating raw fibreglass before, could you please explain furthe about the source material please?

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2019 at 00:58, Pappy said:

G'day Martin,

Great progress so far. I had not heard of this net curtain material method for replicating raw fibreglass before, could you please explain furthe about the source material please?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy. Have a look at this link:

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/tips_techniques/f/8/t/19935.aspx

Mine hasn't ended up quite as good, but it was a first attempt. It's really easy to do and I found I didn't have to be too accurate with cutting shapes etc as they all merged into one and gave an overlapping effect in places. When dry the excess material can be cut off with a sharp blade.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:59 AM, Martin1962 said:

Hi Pappy. Have a look at this link:

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/tips_techniques/f/8/t/19935.aspx

Mine hasn't ended up quite as good, but it was a first attempt. It's really easy to do and I found I didn't have to be too accurate with cutting shapes etc as they all merged into one and gave an overlapping effect in places. When dry the excess material can be cut off with a sharp blade.

G'day Martin,

Thanks very much, I am off to experiment!

cheers,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on this kit lately. I'm still working on the engine and adding a few hoses, pipes and cables here and there, but using superglue for many of these things means I need to have decent drying times.  I've also found the fit of some of the parts and quality if some chromed parts isn't great, so with the intercooler and blow-off pipes in particular I have needed to glue, fill, sand and paint to get a decent finish. I've removed the chroming from some of the parts too, is they have had to be resprayed in Alcad chrome. No pictures then as there's not much to see, but it's getting there. Just slowly!

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've moved the photos to Photobucket, but it seems they watermark everything so I'll see how it goes. There's been a lot of work done and the engine is now in the car as are the front components - fuel tank, oil cooler, water bottles etc. However, I'll just stick a few here at a time in the sequence they were built. More to follow.....

First up, some photos of the motor assembly. I added some cables etc and used a bit of artistic licence.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clogged said:

Love your work!

I'm new to car modelling.  If its not too much  to ask could you list the paints/varnishes you have used for the all the parts?  The chrome effect looks particularly effective!

HI there and thank you for your kind comment.

I have used Tamiya acrylics for many years now and although I'm sure there are better paints available I'm a creature of habit and they have been used throughout with a few exceptions.The colour palette for this kit is limited, and the instructions are simply, 'black' 'white' 'red' etc without any colour codes as it pre-dates those.

For the aluminium parts I have mainly used Alclad paints. They have a few variations of 'aluminium.' 

The kit has many chromed parts and to be honest they aren't that good. I'm not surprised bearing in mind the age of the mouldings. I have retained some of them where I could, but others had too many ridges of flash and moulding seal marks on them, so for those I stripped the chrome with oven cleaner and sprayed Alclad Chrome instead. It gives a decent finish if you take your time between coats.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, silver911 said:

One of my favourite kits of all time :)

This may or may not help you...it's a commission piece I did many years ago now...feel free to use any ideas it may give you.

https://www.project935.doodlekit.com/gallery/683

Regards

Ron

HI Ron, many thanks for the link. I found it some time ago and have indeed sought some inspiration from your own work, which I must say is incredible. I can't reach those levels myself. I love the metallic finish you got and would be interested to know what paints and methods you used. Great stuff and thanks for your comment.

14 minutes ago, Martin1962 said:

HI Ron, many thanks for the link. I found it some time ago and have indeed sought some inspiration from your own work, which I must say is incredible. I can't reach those levels myself. I love the metallic finish you got and would be interested to know what paints and methods you used. Great stuff and thanks for your comment.

Thank you for the kind words :) 

I have never been a fan of 'Alclad'...far too weak in adhesion and durability for my liking...but that is purely my personal opinion.

For my own personal taste you can't beat Vallejo Model Air or Scale75 metallics...far easier to work with...and a huge range of effects you can achieve with very little effort...perfect for airbrush or brush.

Regards

Ron

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Martin1962 said:

Unfortunately I have exceeded my bandwidth on photobucket so I can't use it. Village photos isn't playing and google photos won't work. Anyone have any suggestions where I can go for a hosting site compatible with Britmodeller?

Go to postimg.cc. All mine are there.

• Like 1

OK, a few more photos courtesy of Mr Codger's suggestion. The next part of the build was the front end internals - fuel tank, oil tanks, battery etc....

These are (i assume) the windscreen washer bottles

spacer.png

Dashboard with a few bits of dodgy wiring thrown in

spacer.png

Rear bulkhead....more dodgy wiring

spacer.png

I added some +ve and -ve cables for the battery and part of a wiring loom

spacer.png

...and again, but showing the water bottle which has a natty transparent tube in the top.

spacer.png

And this is pretty much where I am with it now. Most of the internal parts are fitted at this point, although it does now have three more lines from the parts on the front bulkhead - which I am struggling to name - and those from the green water bottle across to the right. I also added a couple of hoses underneath the windscreen washer bottles - just visible here.

It's nowhere at the standard of Silver 911s, which is a quantum leap ahead in terms of detail, and if I'm honest, not as detailed as I would have liked, but I had to put a stop to it somewhere otherwise I wouldn't ever start another kit! Next up will probably be the bodywork itself and I have already seen that the bonnet does not line up with the fuel and oil filler caps, so I'm not sure how I'm going to sort that out. Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

• Like 2

It doesn't matter in the slightest whether your model is as detailed as mine mate...if you are happy with it...then that's good enough for me.

If I may...if not on this build...then certainly for the next...please consider getting some PE hose clamps...it makes a whole world of difference when they look held in place...rather than just pushed on.

Regards

Ron

• Like 1

Nice progress Martin,

It's great to see this moving along. you have made some nice additions.

Can you post a complete chassis photo of what you have so far please?

I'm looking forward to seeing the body work come together.

Regards

Keith.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, silver911 said:

It doesn't matter in the slightest whether your model is as detailed as mine mate...if you are happy with it...then that's good enough for me.

If I may...if not on this build...then certainly for the next...please consider getting some PE hose clamps...it makes a whole world of difference when they look held in place...rather than just pushed on.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron. I did get some PE cable ties which I have used on the HT leads, but I couldn't find the same clamps as yours. I really appreciate the feedback. This kit is a bit of a departure for me as I usually build aircraft and 1/35 armour, but since it had been sitting in its box since about 2003 and I'd also just finished this one I sort of got a bit of a taste for them.

6 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Nice progress Martin,

It's great to see this moving along. you have made some nice additions.

Can you post a complete chassis photo of what you have so far please?

I'm looking forward to seeing the body work come together.

Regards

Keith.

I will indeed! thanks so much for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit are progress, but it's slow going this past week or so. I found that the rear wheel arches on the main body were badly painted so had to be rubbed down and sprayed again only to then stick a fingerprint on one side while it was drying. Doh. Back to Go, do not collect £200.

I've made up the roll cage and added some wiring and also painted the front chin spoiler in blue as per Car 3. The interior has also had a new coat of black (not shown here) and the rear spoiler is now made up although there are gaps all over it so it will need some filler and a respray.

This model is HARD WORK. There's some really poor fits, warped parts and loads of flash, so everything needs more attention than I would ideally like. Anyway, it's nearing the home straight.......

As promised here's at the chase (minus roll cage). The rear suspension ride height will need to be raised to match the front better.

spacer.png

Sorry about the angle. Windscreen and other glass surrounds masked ready for painting black

spacer.png

...and a frontal shot....

spacer.png

• Like 2

Disaster!

Major issues this week with the build. I masked and painted the windscreen and rear window surrounds, but despite my best efforts the black paint bled through onto the bodywork. I had a careful go at picking it off, but without success.

Attempt No2 was by hand and that was even worse. Even with my tiny brush my attempt was rubbish and it looked truly awful. I decided to go back to the beginning which meant picking off all of the black and much of the surrounding white. It was only then that the true scale of the horror was revealed. The coats of white paint had conspired together to obscure the detail of the window surrounds and built up to the extent that there was no clear edge to paint to. 

I've now removed the paint in the areas and revealed the proper detail which has been masked off (again.). I'm now going to respray the white only and leave the surrounds unpainted. When its all dry I should have a nice clear line to paint to.

We'll see.

Ouch, that sounds very trying. .glad you've got it sussed now. 

I used very narrow tape to edge mine but they also needed some remedial work with brush until I was happy with them. 

Just at glassing stage now, avoiding it by doing wheels and tyres!!!; 😀