Blackburn Beverley's 30 Sqadron circa 1963-1967

Mikey-1980

Afternoon all,

I am looking for a potential list of Blackburn Beverley's that operated with 30 Squadron between 1963 & 1967. Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction please? 

My dad flew in the Beverley as a load operator during this time and I have a kit from Mikro Mir on its way. The decals included are aircraft not associated with 30 squadron, but Hannants appear to do some for this kit.

The kit - http://mikro-mir.com/en/199.html

The decals that Hannants can provide do not affiliate with 30 Squadron either - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X44009

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

cheers

Mike

Overton's book on the Beverley has  XB266/E,  XH122/D, XL130/Y, XL148/U, XL149/X, XM105/A, XM108/-, XM109/-, XM111/D,

The book also has a chapter on 30 Sqn's ops with the beast that has a few nice pics.

HTH.

• Thanks 1

The Aviation News Mini-Monograph, Blackburn Beverley by Chris Hobson features histories of individual aircraft, side view drawings and photos, including a side view of XH122/30 of the 30 Squadron.

0000244.jpg

Cheers,

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for your help,

I'll see if I can get hold of the book and take a closer look at the Aviation New article.

From speaking with my dad, the 30 squadron Beverley''s at the time were painted in the Transport Command colours of Aluminum belly, with white cockpit roof and the characteristic blue streak through the middle. 

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just for the unwary, the two pics above are not of 30 squadron Beverleys, I think the top one could be 53 Sqn, the bottom one is 84 Sqn.

Some gorgeous pictures of 30 Sqn Beverleys in this link (scroll all the way down), http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3885986/all/Beverleys_and_friends_in_the_M

I was just using these as reference to Transport Command, later to become TSWS

Thank you for the link as well, there are some fantastic pictures on there too. I may have to mask up and paint the 30 squadron diamond on the tail. I'm looking through them to see if my dad was captured!? haha!!

I'll need to dig around in the folk's loft for the pictures he took whilst out there, See if I can scan and up load some to here. Pops as a 20 year old in his khaki shorts, scary stuff! 

A Beverley in 72 or 48th scale would just be colossal!, the 1/144 is fairly big already.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, Lord Riot said:

If only someone would produce a Beverley in 1/72!

Magna Models make (made?) a resin kit in 1/72. I was sorely tempted at the time, but thought 'where would I put it'?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AMB said:

Magna Models make (made?) a resin kit in 1/72. I was sorely tempted at the time, but thought 'where would I put it'?

Now David of Combat Models has the Magna moulds I'm hoping they will eventually reappear given time. Having both the Beverley & Belfast in the stash somewhere the state of the decals are of concern.

With some luck a 1/72 may be released again?

I was chatting to my dad about his very fond memories of flying in the Beverley, I now know that he was based at RAF M.Harraq between 1965/66, and flew into and around RAF Sharjah, and more than likely had dealing with Operation Hazland.

I showed him the photos kindly provided by @71chally - He was looking at the backgrounds to see if he was in them? haha! 

Here he is, just before he and his flight crew were kicked off the air field by the based commander at RAF Sharjah, for being "scruffy looking airmen"

Aged 21 - SAC Anthony J Wright

48229055042_7374268989_z.jpg_20190707_173651

I've also written off to the RAF Heritage center at Hendon to see if they have a list of operational Beverley's in the middles eats circa 1965/66.

It's looking likely that my aircraft will be XM105 though.

Just to find some lettering marking in 1/144 scale for the Diamond squadron markings and the aircraft registration markings.

Hannants may be the next port of call..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Giving this one a bump.....

If possible, does anyone know the height/size of the registration markings for the tail, underwing's and the letter on the fuselage would be at all please?

I'm looking at some 1/72 scale markings that may do the job for XM105 - A but I dont know how big they are on the actual aircraft....36" or 48" height?

spacer.png

Any pointers or help would be appreciated

Grief, your asking something. With my strongest glasses on I checked out the dimensions on the Magna decal sheet:-

The letter A = 19 x 13

Serial = 19 x 12 x 2

Red Diamond =18 x 10 

Number( In diamond)= 5 x 3

105 on tail= 6 x 3.5 x 0.5

All measurements in millimeters ( roll on the return of feet & inches). hope this is of some use. cheers Chris

• Thanks 1

Cheers @chris57 The kit itself is the 1/144 scale, but for some reason I think the 1/72 markings may also fit?

Thanks for the measurements though, I can scale up from these and see if they could work?

Mikey Just to clarify the measurements for the underwing serials are the individual item,the total length is 63 mm. Likewise the 105 on the tail is 10mm overall. I'm quite happy to let you do the upscaling. Chris

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 17:44, Lord Riot said:

If only someone would produce a Beverley in 1/72!

Sanger Models do one

https://www.sangereng.co.uk/blackburn_beverley_1.htm

• Like 2

So construction and some work has begun on the Beverley,

First job was to drill out the cargo bay and tail boom windows with a pin drill.

48339088356_2ba3a0c636_z.jpgDSC_2307

These will be filled in with Krystal Klear when the kit is completed as a last stage.

As part of my research into Beverley's that served in the Middle East, the very kind people at the RAF Museum London were kind enough to provide me with the movements of XM105 & XH119 to see if they were in the Middle East in 1965/66....and they both were.

So I have settled on the markings for XH119 as these are the standard decals in the box, though they are missing the registration marking for 119 for the tail, just below the RAF & 30 squadron diamond. Finding the right scale of decal for this registration number will be a task for later.

48339087441_030dc62cb8_z.jpgDSC_2308

June 6th 1966 - XM119 was assigned to 30 Squadron

48339087891_54e5f36b66_z.jpgDSC_2309

Work has also started on the cockpit...One reservation for this kit is that the PS polymer is more like an ABS. Perhaps a PS/ABS blend? It is quite hard and tricky to glue together with liquid poly glue...but with some patience it works.

48339223517_f01ae086c7_z.jpgDSC_2310

It is a very basic flight deck, and not much detail for the 1/144 scale, but I've doen the best I can with it.

48339223037_e2db33ea78_z.jpgDSC_2312

48339223137_18bf4c734f_z.jpgDSC_2313

I am struggling to find the best colour scheme for the cargo hold though...

Some pictures show it painted in Olive drab, others with a split paint scheme with black / dark blue grey on the lower half, with white above it.

From picking my dad's memory of events over 50 years ago, he recalls them being painted in an anti-corrosion silver/zinc primer for 30 Squadron.

More research to be done, as this is the next step in the build.

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...