Indian airforce Jaguar Birdstrike

Selwyn

Those droptanks do make a mess! 😱

Must admit birds were a constant hazard in India, especially early morning departures where all the big buzzards used the clearway as a thermal cushion. Had some very close calls and thankfully only one hit which left a mess all over the main gear strut. (Didn't find it until the other end!)

Edited by Alan P

Apart from the lucky escape isn't it nice to see a Jaguar flying still? 

He did well that pilot. I had one bird strike. There's just time to see it coming and duck. But it missed the windscreen, thank goodness and bounced off. I was lucky another day too when a whole murder of crows took off just as I got airborne for a skydive flight. I managed to break left and avoid them. But it was too close. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the pilot did remarkably well. The engines were protesting after the bird strike and jettisoning the tanks probably saved the jet.  I’m sure Freitag could give us some good gen on Jaguar performance on take off, particularly during hot/high take-offs. 

it might look like the surviving (Port) engine was protesting (the stbd is defiantly not happy) but the jag has a system called PTR (Part throttle Reheat) This system allows the pilot to engage reheat at lower that 100% engine speed from memory 60% and above. This system was mainly used for single engine landings. I'm guessing the pilot had PTR selected on the healthy engine whilst dealing with the stbd engine and jettison the external stores. Nice save though so easy to pull the black and yellow handle.  

We had an incident at Edinburgh some years back when a Jaguar pilot made an emergency landing after a birdstrike. From the photos, damage was quite severe. The aircraft left by truck. I don't think it was repaired because the Jaguar  fleet was about to be retired.

I'm sure a lot of us will remember the fatal 1980 crash of a Nimrod at Kinloss following a birdstrike incident on take off

Allan