Revell corsair blue?

Bronzebeard

22 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

But why when the correct paint is available?  If it is wrong it is wrong and all wrongnesses are real.  So how far out are each of all these optional colours, so we can come to some kind of judgement on the best to choose?  Particularly remembering that the wartime colour did fade?  

It is not readily available in acrylic paint which the OP requires. He's looking for a straight from the tin alternative to Revell's mixing

I have the Vallejo GSB, its also labelled as Steel Blue and Dark Sea Blue - it is nothing like GSB, even to my eyes.

A wrong GSB but a proper one is better than a blue which pretends to be GSB but is not close in tone or shade

A massive thank you to everyone for their input to this post. I now am astonished that more well known paint brands do not make this particular colour especially with the popularity of the aircraft that requires it. I now also know everything there is to know about GSB and ANA623. I will find the paint I need and in the type i prefer. I have a couple of model shops in my area so I will be asking them if they stock ANA623 or if they can order it in. 

Thanks again for everyone's help and the effort you have all taken to type your replies despite the fact the subject has been discussed on here before.  

21 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Jeezo folks 😂

I know you've been asked this before Jamie, but any chance of you doing a range of acrylics?

21 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Jeezo folks 😂

I know you've been asked this before Jamie, but any chance of you doing a range of acrylics?

To be honest it's proving difficult to get a water dispersible acrylic that satisfies me. I haven't yet had a test sample that brushes and sprays and adheres. The quality of finish has been inferior to our enamel in each case too.

To actually make it commercially we will need a whole new machine and tinting system - the pigments aren't compatible between solvent based and water dispersible and I don't want to sink that sort of money unless I have a formulation that I'd be just as happy to use myself as the current enamel. As it stands though our enamel is superior in every respect so I'd struggle to market the stuff as I don't believe in it, basically.

We have a nice acrylic formulation we can make with the current tinting system that thins with our existing Colourcoats Thinners. It's not water dispersible but it is a bit faster drying than the enamel but doesn't brush so well. I'm toying with rolling that out gradually anyway because the cynic in me says people will buy it regardless of using the naptha thinner purely because it will say "acrylic" on the container.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 7/1/2019 at 11:30 AM, Troy Smith said:

If you don't want to go quietly bonkers, and want to use Revell paint, Gloss Night Blue 54 MIGHT be  OK, but is probably a bit dark. 

Tried that last night on a 1/48 Hellcat , bit too blue and not quite dark enough to my jaded eyesight anyway.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We have a nice acrylic formulation we can make with the current tinting system that thins with our existing Colourcoats Thinners. It's not water dispersible but it is a bit faster drying than the enamel but doesn't brush so well. I'm toying with rolling that out gradually anyway because the cynic in me says people will buy it regardless of using the naptha thinner purely because it will say "acrylic" on the container.

Would it be more akin to Tamiya acrylics?  I thin mine w Mr Color Leveling Thinner and brush using a tiny bit of Tamiya’s retarder. I’d be interested if so, and I could get them here in the US. 

Tim

1 hour ago, Bronzebeard said:

Also found someone in France selling humbrol 181 but the code number is FS15042.

Which I think would be correct for the postwar Gloss Sea Blue, grab them if you can.

Steve.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Which I think would be correct for the postwar Gloss Sea Blue, grab them if you can.

Steve.

x2: grab them if you can.  I leave the accuracy of colour for others more expert to pronounce upon (though I'm quite happy to use it on my models) but it's lovely paint, even when brush painted.  A reminder of how good Humbrol used to be.

• Like 1