Trumpeter 1/48 Chengdu F-7MB Bangladesh 1989 Finished!

35 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Nothing done yesterday (RIAT all day and ended up getting sun burned, again!) and not much chance of work today but finishing off the wings will be my next task.

The Weather held out then

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hewy said:

The Weather held out then

Oh yes, there were a couple of very light showers very early on (before any flying) then it was a mix of sun and clouds, quite windy but on the whole a good day.

For me the best flying displays were the Mig-21, Su-27, Harriers and the F/A-18's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's picture-less update is brought to you courtesy of Flickr and their inability to let me onto their website so that I can upload pictures of my progress.

Imagine a set of completed wings which have their pylons and flaps added and a virtually complete fuselage which has the tail-planes fitted and all the cannon panels and speedbrake cover too. Hopefully I will be joining the completed wings to the fuselage very soon, and if Flickr get their fingers out of their bums you might even be able to see it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Today's picture-less update is brought to you courtesy of Flickr and their inability to let me onto their website so that I can upload pictures of my progress.

Great update!

I imagine  a great looking MiG-21  lookalike without paint :D

• Haha 1

Thanks guys, well the good people at Flickr have removed their fingers from their bums and I have at last been able to access the site!

So without further ado here are the promised pictures starting with a shot of the fuselage how it looks at the minute;

spacer.png

As you can see it is mostly complete including the tailplanes which need a little tidying up but have gone on quite well;

spacer.png

I decided to go with the cannon bays closed up so as to keep the clean lines of the aircraft, these are really designed to be posed open by Trumpeter but it just needed a little bit of cleaning up to get them to fit closed and after a little bit of sanding they look quite good;

spacer.png

And finally the underneath of one of the wings (they are both at the same stage) showing the added flaps and pylons and the missile rail added to the inner pylon, looking at the picture I see that I need to fill the redundant location holes on the lower edge of the inner pylons;

spacer.png

And that is how she looks at the minute, hopefully my next update will have something looking a lot more like an aircraft in it, assuming of course that Flickr plays ball!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Dennis.

How are you feeling now? I hope you are on the mend.

Im better, still public enemy #1 with the family but 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who really cares. Im working again and will start to do the decals on the Phantom tomorrow but that will take a few days. The Japanese just love their stencils, and the phantom uses somewhere close to 200 of them. Though this one will be closer to 75-80 because of the splinter overpainting. So mot to bad. 

Dennis

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im better, still public enemy #1 with the family but 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who really cares. Im working again and will start to do the decals on the Phantom tomorrow but that will take a few days. The Japanese just love their stencils, and the phantom uses somewhere close to 200 of them. Though this one will be closer to 75-80 because of the splinter overpainting. So mot to bad. 

Dennis

Glad you are feeling better mate, your family will either accept your illness or not and as you say there is no point worrying about it.

One truly excellent fact about the JASDF ACM schemes is that they painted over the stencilling, seriously reduces the dreary workload!

• Like 1

Hi Craig. Sorry I'm late to the party but it looks like you have been making excellent progress so far. At this rate it won't be long before you’re finished! Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Sorry I'm late to the party but it looks like you have been making excellent progress so far. At this rate it won't be long before you’re finished! Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, better late than never!

I'e not made a lot of progress lately as things have been very hectic both at work and at home (removing some trees from the garden) which has left very little time and energy for building models but today I have finished the ejector seat and have been adding some stretched sprue to the front of the main canopy as there is a bit of a gap when it is fitted.

• Like 1

A bit more progress to report, this time with pictures!

We'll start with a pic of the finished seat as it was before I glued it in place in the cockpit;

spacer.png

Not brilliant but I think it will look okay under the canopy.

Talking of which the canopy has been fitted and faired in and the fit was pretty good once the gap at the front was dealt with, next job after that was the installation of the air data boom which needed modifying from the kit part and fitting to the top of the nose rather than the undersides as per the kit instructions and the boom itself needed reducing in length by about 1/3. You can see the now completed nose area in the pic below;

spacer.png

As you can see I have also given the glazing a coat of Revell's anthracite before I start spraying the camo colours, which should start very soon, as long as I've got the right ones in the paint stash otherwise it will have to wait until the weekend.

Well that's it for now, as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 4

Having a spot of bother with this at the moment.

When I fitted the main canopy it seems to have sunk down on the stbd side, I thought it wasn't too bad but after some paint it looked terrible so I am trying to build the area back up to the right level, I tried to remove the canopy but I've done too good a job of gluing it in position so its down to the filler and more time taken up that should be seeing paint applied, ho-hum!

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she's coming along quite nicely Craig, I do like the colour scheme, something completely different! :thumbsup:

Cheers Rich.

Sorted the canopy yesterday and the painted on the lighter colour which went great until my compressor decided it had had enough and promptly stopped working when I had one fuel tank left to paint! I'm hoping it is just because it got a bit warm, I will have a look later and report back.

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I hope this gb isn't  jinxed,😋 hope you can sort it 

Was thinking the same myself, but fortunately when I switched it on this afternoon (with everything crossed that can be) it chugged into life so when I've masked off the lighter areas I should be able to make a start on the darker shade.

• Like 2