Trumpeter 1/48 Chengdu F-7MB Bangladesh 1989 Finished!

57 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Was thinking the same myself, but fortunately when I switched it on this afternoon (with everything crossed that can be) it chugged into life so when I've masked off the lighter areas I should be able to make a start on the darker shade.

It might have a themal cut out craig ,glad shes up and running

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

It might have a themal cut out craig ,glad shes up and running

That is exactly what I was hoping/wishing for and looks like it was thankfully.

I've taken a couple of pictures of how she looks at the minute with the lighter grey sprayed over the original (too dark) grey which now serves as an undercoat, so here they are;

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a closer look which hopefully shows the slightly patchy look that I've tried to achieve;

spacer.png

That's how she looks at the minute, off now to start the masking for the dark grey colours.

• Like 5

With my compressor deciding that it wants to live at least a bit longer I've been able to get the dark grey done and apart from a few very minor touch ups (which have been done) it went very well, here are a couple of pics of how she looks now;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job is to start giving her a nice shiny gloss coat ready for the decals, and when the decals are on I will give her a bit more weathering.

• Like 7

very nice!!! :thumbsup:  That scheme is quite different to what you normally see, the finish is perfect, well done.

I know all about compressor dramas, have had a few. I really need to replace my current one so I'm taking 20 models from the stash to tomorrows IPMS club meeting to try and sell. Am after a nice compressor so have to fund it some how. Most are ones I know I'll never build, but there is some rare stuff in there, even some rare resin stuff! (Huma Ju-288C, Planet Models Ju-388K/L & Westland Welkin NF, BaxMod G6 Rhino) All are long out of production. Hopefully I can move a few and make some money. I'm after either a Sparmax TC620X or Artlogic AC2418, neither are cheep unfortunately but they have a tank with I prefer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow!

Fantastic and different camo!

:)

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

very nice!!! :thumbsup:  That scheme is quite different to what you normally see, the finish is perfect, well done.

Thanks Werner and Rich, much appreciated.

Yes the camo scheme is not the kind of thing you would expect to see on a Mig-21 type but it does suit it quite well. The glossing is going well and after another coat or two she should be ready for the decals.

Surprised to see you selling your rare 1/48 Junkers kits Rich but I know what you mean about covering the cost (or at least partially) of a new major spend, helps keep SWMBO slightly happy.

Bit of a leap forward since the last update as I've been busy working on her rather than taking pictures and updating, sorry. Since that last update she received several coats of Klear to give a nice shiny finish for the decals, then the decals were applied which had mixed results as they are a little thick and needed some persuading to conform to the details on the kit. Having had a good look at various pictures of Bangladeshi F-7's online I struggled to find any stenciling at all on them in their early paint scheme and as the ones in the kit are blue or red and in Chinese it made the decision not to apply any stencils very easy, happy days!

After the decals had set I started to apply a panel line wash using very watered down Revell Anthracite which I think gives a nice effect. After I had finished that I gave the aircraft a coat of matt varnish using Winsor and Newton galeria which I really like and then when that was dry I weathered her some more by spraying a very light coat of a very pale grey onto the centre of panels to accentuate the panels and the weathering, noe I know these were only delivered in 1989 but pictures I have seen of them in their early scheme show that they weathered quite quickly and I don't like pristine aircraft so that's all the excuse I need!

Here are some pics of how she looks now;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that is how she looks at the moment. Currently I'm working on the fuel tanks (yes I know I should have done them at the same time as the airframe) which are ready for their weathering and then I need to tackle the missiles. The kit provides two PL-2's which are Chinese copies of Soviet AA-2's which are copies of AIM-9B's and they look quite nice, trouble is the only AAM's I've seen hanging under the wings of Bangladeshi F-7's are PL-7's which are copies of the French Matra 550. The ones seen in a couple of pics of early F-7's are a very fetching orange which would certainly stand out against the grey camouflage scheme and are what I will go with, if I can find any in the stash.

That's it for today folks so as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Hi Craig. Great to see more progress on this and it is looking superb! The camo looks fantastic and the panel line wash and highlighting works beautifully. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 9:33 PM, modelling minion said:

The kit provides two PL-2's which are Chinese copies of Soviet AA-2's which are copies of AIM-9B's and they look quite nice, trouble is the only AAM's I've seen hanging under the wings of Bangladeshi F-7's are PL-7's which are copies of the French Matra 550. The ones seen in a couple of pics of early F-7's are a very fetching orange which would certainly stand out against the grey camouflage scheme and are what I will go with, if I can find any in the stash.

Hmmm .... the kit is already quite colorful,  no?

I'd go for operational missiles, most likely something off-white.. it is "front-line" Asia after all ;)

Looks very very nice by the way!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm .... the kit is already quite colorful,  no?

I'd go for operational missiles, most likely something off-white.. it is "front-line" Asia after all ;)

Looks very very nice by the way!!

Too late Werner, I've just finished applying the orange! I managed to find some Matra 550's in a Hobbyboss mirage IIIC so ironically my PL-7's are Chinese copies of Matra's just like the real thing! I just hope that the Chinese made a better job of the real thing than they did of the 1/48 ones as they were very rough and needed a fair bit of cleaning up and pin holes filling. The fuel tanks are done too so when the Matras get a bit of a wash then I will get the under wing stores added and then all that is needed is a blade aerial behind the cockpit, nearly done!

• Like 1

A cautionary note to all you modellers out there, don't think that you can take pictures of your latest creation outside in the sun without giving much thought to the wind (the outside variety, not my own) as my F-7 took flight earlier today when I tried to take pics outside. Oh dear I hear you say, oh dear indeed as when she landed she did so without her drop tanks one of the PL-7's and the air data probe on the nose, thankfully though all the parts were found (  with great thanks to Mrs. Minion who found the hitherto elusive air data probe ) and then were whisked inside to be re-attached to the various bits they had broken off from and an hour later after everything had dried and a suitably sunny and wind free photo booth located (the greenhouse, why didn't I think of it earlier!) this is the result, one completed Chengdu F-7MB of the Bangladeshi Air Force.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A close look at the central under sides showing the open air brake;

spacer.png

A close up of the nose showing exactly which squadron she belongs to;

spacer.png

Never did find out if this was Lion-O's aircraft.

One of it's bum showing the blued exhaust area;

spacer.png

And a close up of the canopy area;

spacer.png

And that's it for my F-7. Thanks to all of you who have dropped by and offered advice or even just "liked" a post or two, I must say I have enjoyed this build and it will definitely not be my last early shape Mig-21/F-7 from Trumpeter as it went together without any real fuss and looks like the aircraft it is supposed to. As usual all comments and criticisms are very welcome, I shall stick some more pics in the gallery and then hopefully make a start on my F-104.

Craig.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice result!

And a great save :)

Strange empty ejection seat warning triangles!  ... 

Thanks Werner, pity I didn't catch her better when she took flight!

Yes those ejector seat triangles are strange, don't think I've ever seen any others which are empty but that is exactly what the Bangladeshi ones are.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Werner, pity I didn't catch her better when she took flight!

Yes those ejector seat triangles are strange, don't think I've ever seen any others which are empty but that is exactly what the Bangladeshi ones are.

Checking photos, it seems there is fine white lettering in the red portion... checked Caracal decals and they are also void... 

Probably next time when letting your models fly for a ride, better set up the camera before! ;)

• Haha 1