Su-17M4 “Blue 42” Panjshir Valley 1989 - 26/10 update

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ok I have dropped the ball a bit with this one as the Hind build has taken over, but I haven't forgotten about this one just yet.

I just saw this on evilBay, pretty much all the same stuff I've used before, not cheap though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-SU-22-17M3-MODEL-UPDATE-COCKPIT-KEDGE-DECAL-ETCHED-CUTTING-EDGE/223696659169?hash=item34155c22e1:g:LlgAAOSwY8tdm-MO

That said the Cutting Edge External set alone is nearly with that, super rare, plus the Eduard model is also very hard to find and expensive.

...and no I'm not buying it, still have this one an another to build first.

No Fitter updates... :(

Yeah Rich...was probably worth s thought~ 2 years ago...

For that price take 2 KH kits AND upgrade sets for it....

;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Come on Rich, give us all a much needed update with some proper progress on your excellent Fitter!

ok an update..........

........I'm a slack sweetheart that's easily distracted!! :D

totally off subject but this is my distraction, with 17 sheets of PE totalling over 1000+ bit......and I hate PE.

IMG_3704-M.jpg

this area is completely bare in the model

IMG_3687-M.jpg

IMG_3666-M.jpg

Was hoping to have her complete by the end of year comp.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I still may do some more to her shortly, but this weekend is a Viper weekend, now have 3 to do as a Mk.II just showed up! :D Plus I now have 2 Starbucks to play with!! :wub: Hopefully I can get some modelling done!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, trickyrich said:

ok I have dropped the ball a bit with this one as the Hind build has taken over, but I haven't forgotten about this one just yet.

I just saw this on evilBay, pretty much all the same stuff I've used before, not cheap though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-SU-22-17M3-MODEL-UPDATE-COCKPIT-KEDGE-DECAL-ETCHED-CUTTING-EDGE/223696659169?hash=item34155c22e1:g:LlgAAOSwY8tdm-MO

That said the Cutting Edge External set alone is nearly with that, super rare, plus the Eduard model is also very hard to find and expensive.

...and no I'm not buying it, still have this one an another to build first.

...and neither did anyone else :lol: 

On 10/10/2019 at 5:14 AM, exdraken said:

No Fitter updates... :(

Yeah Rich...was probably worth s thought~ 2 years ago...

For that price take 2 KH kits AND upgrade sets for it....

;)

Dare say this is why! :o Having looked at some of the sellers other items they seem to be making a habit of the crazy pricing.

On the subject of other items; you thinking of finishing this one at all Rich or have you been distracted totaly by the Hind?

• Like 1

yes and no...I actually had to work for a few days this week and it's taken a day to recover!! :D So nothings been done of the modelling front.

Good news is I've sold a few of my resin models and may a nice tidy sum off them.........and it's gone towards a Trumpy 1/32nd A-1J Skyraider (for my A-1E conversion) plus a 1/35th Kitty Hawk UH-60L Blackhawk. Plus maybe a 1/32nd full resin Seafood F32 (or another Fisher Sea Fury)???  Am going to put up my Collect-Aire MiG-31 Foxhound, you can find "hens teeth" easier than them! Doing a bit of a clearance to make room for new stuff.

The Sukhoi won't make it for this GB but it'll probably make an appearance in the KUTA GB, I do really want to finish her and there's not a lot of extra work to do just tiding up and painting. The Hind build won't be complete for this years IPMS comp unfortunately (unless I have the next 4 weeks at home.....though there's a good chance of that!!), still way too much to do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 18/10/2019 at 13:23, trickyrich said:

1/35th Kitty Hawk UH-60L Blackhawk

Shame we wont see it draw to a conclusion just yet rich ,but,   the blackhawk ,Now that floats my boat,i shall most probably be returning from telford with one of those in a few weeks , and as you know there are some wondefull resin figures available for these kits, 

I'll still have a play with her, the Hind is hard going at the moments.

The Blackhawk looking really nice and seems to have great reviews, I managed to get the special version that comes with the extra resin crew as well, all for $88 (68 pounds) inc shipping.

Been selling off a few models resin & plastic (all my 1/72nd stuff) models I know I'll never build or not interested in. So have some new interesting stuff on the way! :D

Trumps 1/32nd A-1J Skyraider ( to be converted to A-1E), Tamiya 1/48th F-14A (to go with the D), plus masses of decals for VF-31 Tomcatters plus other AM stuff. I'm going to do a mini SiG on VF-31, so a Demon, F-4B & J and F/A-18E are next, all 1/48th. Just need to sell some more stuff! :D

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What no Tomcat ? 

yeah, the Tomcat's coming, bought that on the weekend, will have 2 sets of decals for her, the LoVis and the red tail version. Only problem will be they'll be for the Hasegawa model which has the wrong tail shape so I'll have some fun getting these decals to fit!

Plus I have this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VF-31-TOMCATTERS-NAVY-FIGHTER-SQUADRON-PATCH-WESTPAC-02-03-FELIX-OF-ARABIA/173834146717?hash=item287952939d:g:VcwAAOxye9lSFO1L

and this on the way as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerobonus-90mm-Mascot-for-the-Grumman-F-14-Tomcat-100004/372530622030?hash=item56bc8e2e4e:g:O-EAAOSwAydZ0jQs

There's some other stuff I want but that can wait for now, these are mainly for my F-14D

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Only problem will be they'll be for the Hasegawa model which has the wrong tail shape so I'll have some fun getting these decals to fit!

I think Id try to modify or paint the tails on a Tamiya cat as much as i could. Id use as much of the Decal on the tail maybe the white circle with Felix but paint the red background. The Hasegawa cat’s scare me after dealing with their legacy hornet in 1/48. The Hornets were a bit fiddly where the didn't need to be. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

There arn't words to describe Hasegawa's F-14's!!! Least not if I don't want to be banned!

I had to cutup decals and paint bits on the tail of my F-14D, luckily it was just black so you can't notice. But these will be red (I'll do the bright scheme) so I'm thinking I may mask and paint the tail then carefully cut out the bits of the decals i need.......well that's the plan for now!

• Like 1

It's a nice build but it's not fun to get to that stage!! 

The Hasegawa one/s maybe cheap but ones sanity is worth the cost of the AMK or Tamiya version.

I reckon it'd rate along side the 1/48th Revell Tornado as fun models to NOT build! Gosh now who was it that build or attempted to build a 1/48th revell Tornado recently??? :hmmm:

• Haha 1

So basically I need to add a couple more Hase Cats to the stash?  Since I seem to be a glutton for punishment (couple 48th Tornados, 3 48th Viggens, 48th Vigi).....  :lol:

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

It's a nice build but it's not fun to get to that stage!! 

Thanks for the kind words, IMHO I would disagree that it’s no fun tho @trickyrich. Sure it’s not a Tamiya “shake’n’bake” kit, but it went together well, there is virtually no filler in this build, it just took lots of test fitting. As to the “wrong” shaped tail, I’m no Tomcat expert, but it looks like a Tomcat to me. In short, of the level of modelling fun for £ spent, its well worth a crack at.  

Si 

• Like 3

I haven't used much filler on mine, I usually avoid using filler unless I have to, but there is some serious work I found to get bits to fit a sit right. It's not one of there best model, and Hasegawa can turn out some crackers, their 1/32nd P-40N is pure magic!!! But on an off day.....

There are some issues with shapes and accuracy (especially if you're building the Tamiya one at the same time) in places. Plus she is getting on now, 30 years since her first release (20 since any parts updates!). But you're right for "bang for bucks" the Hasegawa one is worth it.

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That would be me then!

Still gives me nightmares.

Oh dear....I have both the GR and the F....and NeOmega cockpits, since the brave pill has worn off the the F-14 think I’ll wait. @trickyrich you gotta do a little more to your Fitter, it is showing off you modelling skills🤫. I just got to decide what’s next on the build bench?

Si 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arrr Craig I still have to get one of them myself to see just how bad they are.........or if that was just an excuse for not finishing yours! :D

With luck I'll be closing up the body of the Hind today so I'll have some time to look at the Fitter and another couple of projects over the weekend. 

• Like 3