Su-17M4 “Blue 42” Panjshir Valley 1989 - 26/10 update

On 7/21/2019 at 10:03 AM, trickyrich said:

noooo.....but not quite.

There is actually quite a bit of variation in the colours of the shock cones. Predominately the Soviet Su-17's and 4M's especially, the shock cones are completely Radiation Panel (or Antenna Panel) Green (as in up to the splitter). That horrible bright green used on all antenna panels......though I have seen it varies quite a bit with age. At some stage Soviet Su-17's started showing up with either a band of aluminium right behind the antenna cones and some later (and they look to be quite new colour photos) the entire rear part of the shock cone is completely aluminium in colour, and the Green nose cone is very shiny in appearance. There are a couple of photos of Soviet Su-17's with this aluminium section appearing to be a reddish brown colour??? Later version/upgraded and unpainted composite material?

Ok Jump to Ukraine Su-22M4's and the Aluminium sections is now painted pale blue (similar to undersides), DDR Su-22M4's had a similar colour (some did). Both of these were high spec Su-22's so basically the same as the Su-17M4, only supplied to Warsaw Pact countries from what I can gather.

The Polish liked to be different and they painted this section Yellow on their Su-22M3's, which is probably where you've seen it, especially on the Tiger Meet Su-22M3.

The Peru Su-22's had the whole shock cone a Semi-Gloss Black. 

And depending on who else flew Su-22's there's still more variation in the colours of the shock cones.

I sort of know all this due to some "head banging" when I was doing research for my Su-7's, as I came across photos of them with different colour shock cones as well, which really confused me.

The few colour photos I've seen of Soviet Su-17M4's in Afghanistan do show the entire shock cone to be this green colour. Though there is one with this rear section painted a Grey/Green colour?? (it has some cool Sharks Teeth as well!) There are also one or two that show the Recon Su-17M3R's with what maybe aluminium rear parts instead of the green.

So short answer, it varies greatly from airforce/aircraft to airforce/aircraft, so you really need to carefully check your references.

I suspect originally from the factory they were all Green and with later upgrades or refurbs things started to change. 

Where’s serge @Aardvark when you need him?

• Haha 1

ok time to get back to this beastie now the wee panzer is finished!

First up more bits for her, ok one final bit!!!

IMG_3307-L.jpg

A crew ladder is just what she needs, though it is turning out to be a wee bit of a challenge to build….things don’t seem to fit! Anyway I’ll continue to play with that later.

The tail unit, I figured it’s best to add all the bits to the tail unit included the new A/C spine bit first. It actually makes stitching up everything much easier as there were some profile differences with the parts. All the shapes are now right so I just need to fill the gap at the base of the rudder and redo some panel lines.

IMG_3308-L.jpg

I’ve added a base to this as well as I needed a wee bit of extra height and it’ll also make attaching it to the fuselage a bit easier as well. I’ll shape and thin it as required to give me a nice join. Hopefully I won’t need any filler.

IMG_3309-L.jpg

It fits pretty good as it is, I had to reshape the section just in front of the new section of spine. I’m happy with how this section is coming along.

IMG_3310-L.jpg

The front section of the fuselage is where there are some odd lines, we know the cockpit angles are not quite right, bit that’s a major job to correct. As I had mentioned in an earlier post the spine hump right behind the cockpit looked to be a bit shallow to me when compared to drawings. I hadn’t planned to try and correct this but……….

IMG_3311-L.jpg

….I think with this section raised a wee bit (it’s much closer to the drawings now) and some slight angle changes to the canopy I might be able to get the front end looking closer to how it should without too much surgery!

IMG_3312-L.jpg

I’m still roughing out the shape here, once I’ve finished adding some more strips to the sides it should start to look better. It’s not major work but it is a wee bit time consuming waiting for the glue to cure (not using CA glue this time).

This shouldn't add too much time to the overall build, I’m well over ½ way through the construction stage and there’s no other mod work to be done, so for now all is good. :pray:  :D

• Like 4

Time for a quick update. 

I’m struggle to keep away from this build at the moment, I need to get one with the Typhoon but I keep getting drawn back to this one. Guess I’m having so much fun with her.

Ok, the wee change to the hump is pretty well done, there’s a slight change, which now matches the profile a bit better. Was it worth the effort for something so small………

IMG_3343-L.jpg

IMG_3344-L.jpg

IMG_3345-L.jpg

With the new tail bits that is a definite yes. The shapes are now all correct and the details are much better/clearer. It actually stitched together fairly simpily though I have had to raise the whole lot a fraction with a thin strip of card. That’ll actually help when it comes time to fit it, plus you can see the plastic pins to help secure it in place. Originally just being a butt joint wouldn’t have given it any strength.

IMG_3321-L.jpg

IMG_3322-L.jpg

I’ve added a small piece of plastic card to fill in the opening on the nose wheel well, from when it was repositioned.

IMG_3326-L.jpg

Finally the wings. As I’m not doing the flaps down I wanted to be able to sweep the wings back, unfortunately you can’t seem to be able to do this with this model. The wings I think are too fat and won’t fit in the opening at any position other than fully forward.

I initially tried just sanding the joining surfaces on a spare set but this just gave me a weird profile and though they’ll sort of sweep back they all wrong when fully open.

This time I’ve sanded back the rear section from the control surfaces back, this section was really rounded where it should be flat and the trailing edge was way too think before. Now the wings will sweep back.

IMG_3323-L.jpg

There’s still a bit of a gap when fully open but I really do like the look when swept back.

IMG_3324-L.jpg

IMG_3325-L.jpg

The only other thing done was to clean up the wing/fuselage joins. Plus I’ve sort of remembered that I haven’t actually added any weights to the nose yet :doh:  …….no so easy task now!  I just drill out the section in front of the IP, I have a new cowling to fit there anyway.

Hopefully by the weekend I can start to go whole hog on her, it’s really not too far away from painting time….now that will be fun! 

• Like 5

That is some excellent work Rich.

The re-profiling of the spine has worked very well and you've smoothed it in very nicely.

The extra work you've done to the tail looks great and I like the pins you've made to get it to sit properly, proper bit of engineering that!

The wings look great in the fully swept position, makes it look like it's going fast even when on the ground.

You really are quite close to the paint going on, looking forward to that.

• Thanks 1

thanks...

just a teeny tiny update.

The tail has been sorted out and fitted, I'm really happy with the shape and fit. there's some minor filling of the joins to sort out, stretched sprue should sort that out.

IMG_3361-L.jpg

The wing/fuselage joins are pretty much done now as well. The only bad one was one of the underside ones, my fault because I forgot to thin down the wing cross section. The join was the problem one on the last build, so I should have remembered earlier! :doh:

IMG_3362-L.jpg

I can just about start to devote more time to her and the Typhoon is in the last stages oh the build (thank god!!). 

One thing I have found unfortunately is that the SAC metal U/C is almost as bad as the kits gear!  So I'm going to mix-n-match them, hopefully I can make something half reasonable out of all those bits!

• Like 3

Looking good Rich.

The tail has fitted very well thanks to your earlier work.

I'm sure you will sort those under wing joints.

I have heard mixed reports on SAC metal landing gear, it seems that a lot of them are a direct copy of the kits plastic parts which means that they have the same faults as the kit parts but are just a bit stronger.

yeah the only difference between them and the models ones is the addition of an actuator on the main wheel arm, plus a extra pair of nose gear for the Su-7.

I'll use the new main arm and the rest of the kit's bits. I'll drill and pin all the pivot points, they won't work but it'll have lots of strength. Other than the main arms I'll attach the rest of the gear to the wheel wells, that'll be the first job tomorrow.

I've finished the Typhoon! :D

• Like 2

Slowly getting more done on her, unfortunately the Kittyhawk has dibs on most of my time at the moment.

Right I’m pretty much finished on the spine work, the gaps have been sorted where the tail mounts, a tiny bit of finishing up on the A/c scoop. Intakes and flare pods have been fitted.

IMG_3434-L.jpg

IMG_3435-L.jpg

The fairings for the nose probes have been sorted out. The kit ones are completely wrong and if you try to fit them you’ll find the probes will be sitting at crazy angles! Correcting them IS NOT an easy process, it’s the 4thtime I’ve done this and it still is a pain. The position of them is a bit different to the last Su-17 I did, as on that one I didn’t fit them until after I had almost finished the model (huge mistake), plus I found out they weren’t in the correct place. Hopefully this time I’ve got them right. I just need to clean them up and drill out the holes for the now Master Model brass probes.

IMG_3436-L.jpg

All the small bit of PE have been fitted to the underside, that small fin antenna behind the nose wheel well has been knocked about so many times it’s due to fall off very soon! So I have to start working on the u/c, most of it will be in place before I start painting her, as it’ll be much stronger and help stop me knocking off bits!

IMG_3437-L.jpg

Speaking of the U/c, I’ve started work on them. This is the 4th set I’ve done and I’m becoming a bit of an expert on building them up and figuring out how they should actually fit and sit!

Basically they’re a huge pain to do, the instructions don’t really show you how they should set when completed or actually how you should build them. The easiest way I’ve found is to drill out all the pivot points and pin them. This will allow you to position them correctly (after you’ve modified each part so they’ll actually fit!!) as they won’t if you try to build them without pins. Plus the pins give it much more strength, which they do need.

IMG_3433-L.jpg

As you can see I’m using a mix of kit and SAC parts. I’ll build up and fit everything up to the white metal bit of the leg, this I’ll fit later. Being pinned this will be an easy task. Building the U/c like this will give it strength and allow her to sit nicely during the painting process……that’s the general idea, will see how it all goes!

So I’m very close to the painting stage now, just some minor work to go and I’ll undercoat her.

I’m taking next week off so I should be close to finishing her by the following weekend…and probably the Kittyhawk too. I’m trying to get these builds out of the way so that I only have the Movie/Syfi GB to go this year as I have plans to start the Hind monster, (1/35thMi-24V with massive amounts of AM stuff and Tiger scheme) as I’d like to have it ready for the club end of year comp! :wicked:

• Like 8

Some very nice work again there Rich.

Adding all the little bits and bobs can take a long time but you are doing a great job and those replacements for the kit pitot probe bases that you have made really do look good and when they have the mater brass ones fitted they will really look the business.

That undercarriage looks like a real PITA, hard to believe that there are still companies out there that think that instructions are optional but it looks like your idea of pinning it is going to work well and as you say it should build more strength into it.

Looking forward to the primer and then the start of the paint!

• Thanks 1

It is amazing what you can achieve with a little bit of plasti-card so that the shape of something can be improved, or filled. The detail that you have got with this is very impressive, and using the rod as pins is commendable. Hope to see this one finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work as usual!

I doubt better instruction could help this landing gear design... 

A company castung correct ones would do... is there a SAC version of the KH or HB gear that could be used instead?

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great work as usual!

I doubt better instruction could help this landing gear design... 

A company castung correct ones would do... is there a SAC version of the KH or HB gear that could be used instead?

No unfortunately they don't. I've just been looking over the KH & HB models and the gear on both of them is detailed and correct (sort of) but quite simplified, if that makes any sense? The HK one does have nose gear issues.....actually looking at its overall issues, then my build is simple compared to correcting them all!

I've scan in the 2 instruction I have and I must admit I've been mainly using the Eduard ones as in some ways they are better, but now comparing the two I can clearly see I should have been using the Kopro originals!

Eduard%20Su-22%20Instructions-L.jpg

Kopro%20Su-22%20Instructions-XL.jpg

The bottom Kopro ones do clearly show the correct geometry for the main gear & doors, still getting it to stay there while the glue dries is a challenge, hence why I pin everything. That said if I was up for a rear challenge, a bit of brass tube and some tiny rings and I could do a proper working main gear! Kopro give you all the individual items you need to do it, you just need to be completely bonkers!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know I now should be pressing on with her, but I'm sort of taking a sort break from her and are trying to clear some AFV projects I'v ha sitting around for ages (years in some cases). Normal service should/may resume shortly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looks like your on the home straight rich, I'm  really looking forward to seeing this painted up ,cracking job

cheers, though I'm actually having a wee break from this one, been playing with some "mud lugs" projects I've had sitting around for ages.

It my actually be a couple of weeks beforeI get back to her as I'll also be off with work this week til the 4th.

I actually don't have that much left to do on her, most of it is just tiding up to get her ready for painting.

• Like 2

just to prove I haven't been slacking off, these are the beasties I've been playing with...plus there were a couple of others too. The BTR-50 was actually meant to have been finished for the 50's NATO GB, so it may actually get finished finally!

IMG_3558-L.jpg

IMG_3559-L.jpg

Unfortunately a new beast has stormed the workbench demanding my attention!!!

IMG_3560-L.jpg

Unfortunately the Sukhoi will have to wait until I get back from work on the 4th, should still have time to finish her. Nothing like a deadline to get one moving!

• Like 3

yeah that SA-4 launcher is awesome, and very Thunderbirds looking.

I've spent a lot of time on that rotor head so far detailing it. It's such a big visual part of the beast, so it's crying out for detail. I'll probably start a thread up for it in the WIP section at some stage.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

ok I have dropped the ball a bit with this one as the Hind build has taken over, but I haven't forgotten about this one just yet.

I just saw this on evilBay, pretty much all the same stuff I've used before, not cheap though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-SU-22-17M3-MODEL-UPDATE-COCKPIT-KEDGE-DECAL-ETCHED-CUTTING-EDGE/223696659169?hash=item34155c22e1:g:LlgAAOSwY8tdm-MO

That said the Cutting Edge External set alone is nearly with that, super rare, plus the Eduard model is also very hard to find and expensive.

...and no I'm not buying it, still have this one an another to build first.

• Like 1