Su-17M4 “Blue 42” Panjshir Valley 1989 - 26/10 update

Ok this GB came up a little earlier than I had expected, but at least I’m organised completely for once…gotta love spreadsheets!

That said I’ve managed to talk myself into a completely different build that I had originally planned. Guess that’s what I get for hanging out at dodgy website and talking to equally dodgy people…..

I’ll be building a 1/48th Su-17M4 and those that know me know it’s one of my fav aircraft and given the chance I won’t shutup about it either.   The model is Kopro’s venerable Su17/22 which has been re-boxed so many times. It’s not as detailed or have crisp details as the HB or HK models, but there again it does have the shape issues both of them have. To my mind it’s still the most accurate version out there.

IMG_3346-L.jpg

...and yes I know it's the wrong box, but the original one was pretty rubbish, it would have looked something like this. I've actually found it.

IMG_3144-L.jpg

IMG_3146-L.jpg

Plus there’s still a lot of AM stuff available for her though the rarer stuff has mostly gone…I’ll take the blame for that, as I have another one in the stash with full AM gear as well.

I have a really rare Tiger Models Wing & Flap/Slat (no not the Cutting Edge one either unfortunately) set for her but the wings thickness just seem a little to great for me. It’ll be a too bigger jog to correct for this build so I’ll leave it out of this one.

IMG_3150-L.jpg

The same goes for the Yahu IP set, it’s for the HK model but I was planning to try and stitch it into the Cutting Edge IP. But again way to much work and the cutting Edge panel is just so nice.

IMG_3151-M.jpg

I have though ordered the HAD Mach Cone, the shape of the shock cone is an issue with all the models and finally someone has released a correction kit for it. On my last build getting the shock cone position and shape right was a bit of a pain.

All the rest of the bits are just nice extras.

IMG_3147-L.jpg

IMG_3148-L.jpg

IMG_3149-L.jpg

The scheme will be for an aircraft “Blue 42” from the “Orsha” Fighter-Bomber Reg. which deployed at multiple airfields to provide cover for Soviet forces withdrawing from Afghanistan in 1989. Linden Hill does a great set of decals for this, which I’ll be using.

IMG_3156-L.jpg

IMG_3157-M.jpg

Not sure yet whether she’ll be a bomb-truck or loaded up with unguided rockets, she may end up with some backward firing gun pods yet!

This should be fun as I’ve been so looking forward to building another one of these. I suspect this won’t be the only Su17/22 in the build hopefully I haven’t taken someone else’s scheme.

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

And please use the rear facing gun pods, they are so Soviet!

they are my fav as well :D

there is a ground strafing load config which has 4 of them!!! Tempting! :wicked:

• Like 1

oh nice!

not enough aftermarket I'd say..... at least to your standards..... :devil:

some PART PE? ladder, .....

or at least you could try to shoehorn in a nice resin nozzle set.... not for this kit/ no, problem, Rich will make it fit!

https://the48ers.com/su-17m-exhaust-nozzle-al-21f-3.html

48022-1_3_.png

apart from that, nice project ! ;)

looking forward to seeing you masterly approach!

did you think of a way of improving the front canopy looks? The KP one only sits on top....instead of wraps around....

(I said to myself that I will not touch one of these again.... , but then I want to convert one to a Su-22M3.... or UM3 with the Trumansky R-29 engine......)

• Like 2

:D I had thought about the nozzle set, it does look very nice and I know I could get it to fit, but 90% of the detail is lost when fitted and I've noticed at club meetings no one ever looks up the exhausts of models. So I'll "try" and keep this build a bit simpler.

With the canopy it's prob best to leave well enough alone, any work there will not be simple.

If you know of any sectional drawings for a Su-22M3 (and normal Su-17M3), then I'd be very interested!!! I am quite keen to do some serious conversion work to build one....will even cast masters as well!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

If you know of any sectional drawings for a Su-22M3 (and normal Su-17M3), then I'd be very interested!!! I am quite keen to do some serious conversion work to build one....will even cast masters as well!

I came close - the otherwise excellent 4+ book on the Su-22 has 1/72 plans including cross sections of the M-4 and UM-3K where it's different. Would they be any use or do you already have them and need M-3 specific sections?

Andy

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:D I had thought about the nozzle set, it does look very nice and I know I could get it to fit, but 90% of the detail is lost when fitted and I've noticed at club meetings no one ever looks up the exhausts of models. So I'll "try" and keep this build a bit simpler.

With the canopy it's prob best to leave well enough alone, any work there will not be simple.

:D

the canopy.... hopefully someone releases one based on the KH kit in vacform e.g......

I assume you already have all these plans... not sure if they could get any better....or if somehting else is available somewhere......:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/su17m_z.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw3/su17m_mk.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su17armada.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw3/su17aiv.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/su17m4.html

23 hours ago, helios16v said:

Looking forward to watching this come together.  Hopefully I can learn a thing or 2 along the way.  :cheers:

I'm bound to lead you astray and help lighten the old wallet! :wicked:

11 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I came close - the otherwise excellent 4+ book on the Su-22 has 1/72 plans including cross sections of the M-4 and UM-3K where it's different. Would they be any use or do you already have them and need M-3 specific sections?

Andy

I have that book and and pretty much everything else I can find. Cross sectional drawings of the 22M3 rear are just so hard to find. I really need these to work out the correct shape and profile, it'd be too hard to do properly without them. But that 4+ is a must if you want to build a proper Su-17/22. 

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

:D

the canopy.... hopefully someone releases one based on the KH kit in vacform e.g......

I assume you already have all these plans... not sure if they could get any better....or if somehting else is available somewhere......:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/su17m_z.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw3/su17m_mk.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su17armada.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw3/su17aiv.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/su17m4.html

I've got all these, none are of any real help with the 22M3. I know where I need to do all the changes to alter the length and the basic widths, but that's not really enough to go on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'm bound to lead you astray and help lighten the old wallet! :wicked:

I have that book and and pretty much everything else I can find. Cross sectional drawings of the 22M3 rear are just so hard to find. I really need these to work out the correct shape and profile, it'd be too hard to do properly without them. But that 4+ is a must if you want to build a proper Su-17/22. 

I've got all these, none are of any real help with the 22M3. I know where I need to do all the changes to alter the length and the basic widths, but that's not really enough to go on.

I fear then you have to go to Hungary Kekskemeth Airbase and make a 3d Scan of one! :devil:

Or maybe Peru is also an option....

Syria not I guess... does Iran still have any ex Iraqi ones?

Was not the cross section more or less circular anyways in the rear?

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

I fear then you have to go to Hungary Kekskemeth Airbase and make a 3d Scan of one! :devil:

Or maybe Peru is also an option....

Syria not I guess... does Iran still have any ex Iraqi ones?

Was not the cross section more or less circular anyways in the rear?

From what I know the cross section is circular, the tail pipe opening is around 8-10mm shorter but quite a bit greater in diameter than that exact position on the M4. On the M4 (& 17M3) the rear part of the fuselage starts to taper around about the edge of the  airbrakes, on the 22M3  about a 1/3 of the way along the elevators. The whole transition in shape is really subtle and one of those horrible one to get right. Get the shape wrong and it'll stand out like dog bits!!! 

If was to do it I'd laminate it with thin plastic sheet after chopping the tail off. It's doable but quite a bit of work though!

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I know mine is! :) 

....and I wonder why Pvt. Donut. :rofl2:

oh @helios16v, time to spend some money!!!  :D  New goodies for the build...

this showed up yesterday, geee it looks nice and such an improvement!

IMG_3158-L.jpg

IMG_3159-L.jpg

I do remember the kit one in my original one gave me grief mostly in just getting it to sit correctly. It's a shame there isn't a seamless intake for her?

Big difference!

IMG_3160-L.jpg

Plus I have some extra Quickboost goodies on the way as well, new A/c Intake on rear spine (scoop infront of rudder), brake chute & and antenna unit at base of rudder, plus new flare units. All correction bits for the HB model but will do the job quite nicely.

At this are there won't be much left of the original model.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Rich...thanks a lot.  :P

Ordered a couple mach cones then made the mistake of going for a browse through their site...because you know, gotta make the most of international shipping cost.  Ended up snagging a MiG-21 ground set along w/ a set of Hungarian MiG-21 MF decals for the Academy/CMK kit in the stash.  Granted the ground set could go with any one of the several MiG-21s in the stash.  :doh:

• Like 2

Weeelllllll I sort of wasn’t going to start this right away, I had hoped to have gotten the Sturmtiger out of the way first or maybe the Frog beasties, but........I couldn’t help myself. I little play ended up in quite a bit of work being done.

I must say it was like being with an old friend again.

Right there are a few basics I do with the Sukhoi’s so I’ll get them out of the way first.

The Aux Intakes in the nose, I’ll open these up and replace the doors. On the ground and power off these doors have a rest position, the upper pair drop/droop inwards, the lower doors very slightly droop outwards. How much depends on how slack the hinge is. I normally make these from thin brass sheet but decided to use plastic sheet this time.

IMG_3171-L.jpg

While I was here I made new re-enforcing plates/blast plates for the cannons. All Fitters had blast plates of varying size fitted in the field to help protect the airframe from the blast effects of the cannons. I’ll fit them a bit later, they need rivets added to them as well.

IMG_3172-L.jpg

The airbrakes were cut out and new PE insides fitted.

IMG_3170-L.jpg

The opening for the nose wheel well is too far forward as well, this was moved back around 3mm. If you have the Eduard boxing it's mentioned in the instructions and they supply a small resin bit to fill in the open bit at the front.

IMG_3177-L.jpg

The nose wheel well needs to be modified as well to fit the new cockpit. New support for the cockpit tub were made as there are no mounts for it.

IMG_3182-L.jpg

IMG_3175-L.jpg

The new tub actually fitted without too many dramas, I just needed to thin down the fuselage side slightly (yet to be done in these photos).

IMG_3178-L.jpg

IMG_3179-L.jpg

The cockpit and bits have had their initial coat of paint.

IMG_3184-L.jpg

I have to say the detail in the Cutting Edge cockpit is very nice.

The outer wings are together, they’re a wee bit on the thick side, I tried thinning a spare set down, but then the profile of them goes wrong! I’ll leave well enough alone else I could spend huge amounts of time correcting them (and other stuff, the joys of a 25+ yo model!). The inner wing sections were joined up as well.....well one was then I remember there was a nasty little surprise awaiting here! They too are too thick and need about 1-1.5mm removing from them before joining, else you’re left with a rather nasty join to fix, which will result in a lot of detail being lost! So for the wing glued I needed to cut along the join a couple of times to remove the unwanted material. Messy but it worked out ok.

IMG_3173-L.jpg

The pylons were fitted now as they each have to be custom fitted to each wing, again else you’re left with some nasty joins! Best to do this before the wings are fitted to the fuselage, it just makes it a bit easier.

IMG_3180-L.jpg

As can be seen even with careful fitting filler is still required.

Finally I also started on the exhaust, the can is buried in the fuselage and isn't really seen so no need to get excited here with any detailing.

IMG_3185-L.jpg

Well this is coming together quite quickly which is nice, though I still have to work out how I’m going to fix the nose cone in the right place, this was a bit of an issue last time as well.

• Like 7

Great start Rich and very nicely explained work too.

I know this isn't your first of these kits and you really do seem to have a handle on how to get the best out of them. I can see this being the "go to" Smer Su-22 build for anyone tackling one in the future, also makes me want one!

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

soon to be followed by your wallet!! :D

:shutup:  Hopefully not much more...but I'm not holding my breath.  I wouldn't mind a resin can if I can find one for under $20.  I don't have enough skills to go full bonkers yet.  I need to try to stay within reach of my abilities so I can ensure it makes it to the end.

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I can see this being the "go to" Smer Su-22 build for anyone tackling one in the future, also makes me want one!

Do it.  You know you want too.  Nothing sneaky going on.  Don't mind the red dot in the bushes...it's nothing to be concerned about.  :wicked:

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great start Rich and very nicely explained work too.

I know this isn't your first of these kits and you really do seem to have a handle on how to get the best out of them. I can see this being the "go to" Smer Su-22 build for anyone tackling one in the future, also makes me want one!

in my best @Enzo Matrix voice..... "you know you want to!!!" :D

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

in my best @Enzo Matrix voice..... "you know you want to!!!" :D

Yes I do, and I will but not for this GB though :) .

Had a very enjoyable day at RAF Scampton today watching pretty red aeroplanes flying around in formation such as the one below;

spacer.png

But look what I found lurking in a hangar!

spacer.png

I now have a fairly complete walkaround of this beauty, well they only had a barrier behind it so I thought that meant that you could approach from the side and then take as many pictures as you like :) .

• Like 5

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Yes I do, and I will but not for this GB though :) .

But look what I found lurking in a hangar!

spacer.png

I now have a fairly complete walkaround of this beauty, well they only had a barrier behind it so I thought that meant that you could approach from the side and then take as many pictures as you like :) .

oh! here it is! still in "original" colors! :)

hope we are having access to this walkaround soon too ;)

cheers!

• Like 2