WIP 1/1 scale Pilot (and a couple of v bomber pictures)

Well.... Had my first go at the controls today! A long way off a licence, this was just a trial session. I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm going to fund as much flying as I possibly can and balance it with 6th form and uni in the next few years......

I was going to be flying in a Piper Pa28. This one is G-COVC.

47b08261dea1aee0b6f5cc648c49ebfc.jpg

And here I am having just put on my headset

361e2f1916bad2ada93faf52f7cb6947.jpg

The instrument panel... I think I know what most of these do! 

e8d529f7003543755b89af2c35130f7f.jpg

In the air now, I had control to do a few turns, which I found easy enough. I, like so many on here, am an absolute aviation nerd, so am familiar with the basic principles of how to fly, but actually doing it for the first time was brilliant.

We flew past where I live, and wow it looks different from the air. 

c5a7d11215aec05c2736fa592f2a7e28.jpg

Past Bruntingthorpe after flying a few more turns and a bit of straight and level, then a climb and some adjustments to the throttle.

27609a4829218a6c7c8fd2b9ace08f5f.jpg

And there's XM715 looking rather dwarfed by the 747s behind her. I can just imagine what a sight that would have been before 558, flew out of there, before the runway became a car park, two of the most beautiful aircraft ever built next to each other. It seems like she just belongs between the Victor and VC10.

7993beead507a0468ed9ada1b23f89fd.png

Back on the ground, I couldn't resist going and having a look at the museum's Tin Triangle. Sadly it was closed by the time we landed, but I got a half decent picture of XL360 peering over the hedge from the carpark. That hedge really wants lowering because that come could be a great angle to see the Vulcan from.... 

669633ae9e23a99c658c6b9ad9eaf07d.jpg

So yeah, that's my day. Sorry it's not a model, but this is going to be just as expensive :D hopefully one day I can move this over to an RFI post...

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

As billn said; congratulations🙂

Piper Warrior is a very nice aircraft to fly. I first earned my PPL then IR and finally my CPL flying it. I think that the first flight you won't remember much about is your first solo😉

Cheers,

Antti

Excellent - congratulations, Adam! The first serious step on quite a journey, perhaps...

If I may:

- Do your homework to decide on your aims, come up with a (realistic and achievable) plan to achieve them, then go for it. 

- Learn as much as you can from those who know, and don't be afraid to ask, as there will always be a huge amount that you won't know. Recognise and accept that truism, and you will improve as a pilot.

- Always seek and accept constructive criticism, as that is the best way of improving.

- Never, and I mean never, decide to do something in an aircraft because you think it will look good, and have the confidence to say NO if you are not happy with a request. Crashed aircraft do not look good; their pilots even less so.

- Flying is fun, satisfying, challenging, rewarding, interesting and a long list of other '-ings'.  Make sure that you put the right priority on your academics, and enjoy all those '-ings'!

Good luck, and especially enjoy that new perspective!

Jon

• Thanks 1

Hear hear, Pip pip, toot toot.

Listen to Jonners... And especially what he is saying about the academics. Remember that skill is one form of knowledge. Without formal knowledge you can't make educated decisions. And those are necessary for flight safety.

Enough lecturing (I hope you don't mind)🙂 Enjoy flying!

Cheers,

Antti