Pocher Mercedes barn find

This is my first post and my barn find (garage) Mercedes. This is just how I got it; dusty and all sorts of things in the cracks and crevices. It's missing the semaphores on both sides and the window winders but seems to be in decent shape. I'm looking forward to taking the body off and attempting to make it shine again and tidying the interior up. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I hope the pic uploaded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coventrycat said:

I hope the pic uploaded.

Nope. Just make sure that if you paste a picture's URL into the post (which is really all there is to it) that a) there's an extension on the file in the URL (like .jpg) and b) the URL can be accessed from the "outside world" i.e. the forum (the image should not reside on your local computer).

13 hours ago, Coventrycat said:

This is my first post and my barn find (garage) Mercedes. This is just how I got it; dusty and all sorts of things in the cracks and crevices. It's missing the semaphores on both sides and the window winders but seems to be in decent shape. I'm looking forward to taking the body off and attempting to make it shine again and tidying the interior up. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I hope the pic uploaded.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84

Stating your experience level will help you get help. Pochers require large amounts of everything; space, tools and experience to get a rewarding result. Glad you're here but tell and show us more.

Could be wrong, but hovering over the link in Codger's quote of you ( @Coventrycat ) it looks as though you're using Flickr? If so, go to Camera Roll, then click on the photo you want to upload. That will enlarge the photo. In the bottom right corner you will see three symbols - click the middle one (a curved arrow pointing to the right) which should bring up the "Share 1 photo" dialogue.

From here select the BBCode tab and select the photo size from the dropdown menu (800x600 is the one I use). Then right click on the link above (which starts  [url= etc...) and copy the link. After that, you can just paste it into the thread.

Hope that helps.

Thanks all for the pic posting help; I'm trying Spinys method on this go. Fingers crossed. The bar on the "insert image from URL" tab turns red when I paste the link in, so I just copied it into the body. Anyway, this problem belongs somewhere other than this forum so let's talk models.

Codger, I only partially built a Alfa Monza as a teenager in the mid 70's, so as Pochers go I'm a newb. I was looking for large scale aftermarket parts online and found MMC and eventually this site. I was just floored with what I saw here in all scales and look forward continuing to learn.. I build smaller scale, and have a Entex Packard in process now. I'm more critical of my work now than as a teenager, but I'm having fun and have a lot more patience. More pics to share when I get that bit sorted.

48163947976_b699b2c22c_c.jpgPocher Mercedes K74 

Edited by Coventrycat
  • Like 3

OK now we can help. Some suggestions:

If possible make a foam cradle to hold model off the table while working.

Clean out the dust with art brushes of various stiffness. Removing the wheels will help. The chassis will be hardest because you can't invert the car without damage. Settle for the best you can do underneath without damage. Try to remove the top stack and dust it best you can.

Wipe the bodywork with cotton undershirts and cotton tips (for the crevasses) wet with automotive spray detailer. Buff dry.

Try to remove the windscreen and glass. Then soak in mild soapy water and dry with microfiber. If scratched, use a multi-grit set of polishing cloths to remove scratches. From 600 to 12,000. Then dip in a bath of Future acrylic and let wick dry. Touch only the edges.

Gently polish the paintwork and plated parts with automotive paint cleaner (with no wax) ; Mother's or Meguiars makes good ones. Use Meguiars Ultimate Compound on tough spots. Use only microfiber cloths for this.

Finally, wax it with automotive carnuba wax and microfiber.

Of course, if you have confidence and tools, try to disassemble major parts to clean more effectively.

EDIT: Try Marvin at MMC for semaphores and the window winders.

Edited by Codger
  • Like 2

I'm looking at this weekend to start cleaning the Merc; I've been working on this Packard in the meantime. Thanks, everyone, for the interest - I'm pretty excited about it. The drive to pick it up was 2 hours each way, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I had never seen a fully built Pocher up until then and it just blew me away. 

48245836361_ccfd7a33c8_c.jpgEntex 1937 Packard Formal Sedan

• Like 2

Hi Larchiefeng, 

Your build thread is how I found Britmodeller in the first place! I picked up a roadster kit (after the AK) and saw lots of K74 stuff on the web, but not much for roadsters. I still have your thread saved as a favorite. To be honest, the box picture doesn’t do a thing to sell it, and I almost didn’t buy it. It was only after reading your build and seeing what it could be that I went for it.  I enjoy reading  - and learning - so much about these kits from the Pocher gurus here that it’s time to get off the couch and head to the bench. 

Thanks CC, I’m glad that my thread was of interest and got you thinking about what could be done with one. The True Roadster was produced well after the K74 and was “simplified” by using plastic wheels instead of the metal wire wheels. During the time I was building mine, I was buying and selling some Pocher kits on eBay and I picked up one of the kits that had chrome plastic wire wheels. I could have used the metal ones but the hubs on the spindles have to be the ones for the metal wires and I had already assembled the frame and I didn’t want to take it apart again. However, at some point in my thread I did build a second chassis, engine and metal wire wheels which, had nothing to do with the roadster. So, there’s another complete K74 chassis build within the K91 roadster build.

I also did a lot of body modification because I wanted my roadster to different from everyone else’s.

Anyway, if you have any questions or need any help just ask and I will be happy to assist. My roadster would not have turned out as well as it did without the help, badgering, cajoling and pushing me to try new things and stretch myself as a builder from a lot people here on this thread. But, I must call out one in person in particular, Codger, really pushed me and was of immense help in the journey of building the Pocher. If you haven’t read it, you really should read Codger/Chas’s build of his Pocher Rolls Royce. That is one of the true master class Pocher builds here on the forum. Building a Pocher really is a marathon and not a sprint and I’m sure that’s why there’s so many unfinished or poorly built ones available on eBay and elsewhere. If you do decide to take it apart you should probably invest in Paul Koo’s dvd for the Mercedes. When you do take it apart and after reading some of the information on the dvd you will see why things were so badly fit or assembled.

I’m sorry that, I’m going on here but, I do have one question to ask; have you decided what you are going to do with it? Are you just going to lightly clean it up or are you going to dive in and make it something special?

Speaking of getting back to the bench, I think that I might sit down today and get back to my trans kit rebuild of my F40 and continue watching The Open. I’m looking forward to seeing what you decide. I also know that Chas is hoping that you decide to go for a complete rebuild so, he will have another Pocher build to watch!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well, I wish I could predict the future.. you may not be able to tell from the picture that there's a fine layer of fuzz in places I can't reach, but it's there. I'll need to take the body off to properly clean it, the seat brackets are broken on the passenger and rear seat, plus a few other things. As a side note, the brother of the builder (who had passed away) told me that he built this as a means to keep him from drinking - also part of his collection was this absolutely beautiful cabin cruiser model that was at least 5 feet long, and at the time, not for sale. They were built as some point in the 1990's. Because of that backstory I tend to just want to freshen it up , as homage to a total stranger but fellow modeler and human being, but also realize that improving upon it would do the same thing. And if I'm honest, it'll be the latter.

I know there's a wealth of knowledge here and appreciate the offers of help, because I'll certainly be asking! Wayne and Chas, thanks, and my name is Mike.

48333417107_13cd0e2094_c.jpg

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately as these Pochers get older the “chrome” tarnishes and the interior “leather” starts to come loose and peel away from the plastic and most of the metal on the frame and suspension gets rusty. On the upside, if they were assembled correctly they are easily taken apart by unscrewing the nuts and bolts. There might be a couple of things that were glued together but probably not many other than the interior parts. If you want to restore it, you will probably have to take it apart and clean them thoroughly and paint the metal parts. The interior can be replaced by using leather which can be purchased on eBay in any color fairly cheap. 

For a quick way to get the fuzzy stuff off get, a can of compressed air that, is used to clean computers and keyboards. You can use this to get into small tight places and blow it out. And, another quick fun fact, all the Mercedes engine and chassis’s are the same on all of the different kits with the only difference being the wheel hubs between the plastic and metal wire wheels. So, if you run across a Mercedes kit on eBay that is a basket case you can pick up cheap, you can use it for spare parts or to do a rebuild using both cars.

I’ll be interested to see what you decide and how you progress.

• Like 1

That's great! I started building mine in 1988 but the body paint is not taking so although that's all I need to do, paint the body and assemble it's still taking a long time. I've been working on the body and paint for nearly two years now.

Keep up the good work it still looks super in this condition!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got a build thread but here's the chassis/engine built up, the body will come later when I've stripped back the body and try painting it again!

photo-th.jpg

• Like 3