Aermacchi MB 326.RAAF 1980's.

Morning folk's well hurdle number one jumped happy with the underside finish,Italeri supply decals for the lower white areas but I've painted them

as you can see,nothing is supplied for the upper wing which is strange but here's what's confusing me,photos I've found of the real aircraft show

the upper wing white with the tip tanks and leading/trailing edges in orange nothing like the instructions white flash and aluminium trailing edge

so more digging needed before I start the top.Oh,and notice the shading on the instructions which would have you paint the undersides

aluminium!

20190730_105702

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Right time to eat humble pie I found little or no decent pics of the real aircrafts underside but a lovely model of the 1/48 kit 

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Gallery/Aircraft_P-Z/Perren_A7-025.html

Which shows i've just wasted two days painting it the wrong colour it should be aluminium so well done Italeri but they still managed to get the

proportions of the white wrong.I need to take stock whether to re-do it or bite the bullet and do the Italian all orange scheme which means no

place in the GB.

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Right time to eat humble pie I found little or no decent pics of the real aircrafts underside but a lovely model of the 1/48 kit 

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Gallery/Aircraft_P-Z/Perren_A7-025.html

Which shows i've just wasted two days painting it the wrong colour it should be aluminium so well done Italeri but they still managed to get the

proportions of the white wrong.I need to take stock whether to re-do it or bite the bullet and do the Italian all orange scheme which means no

place in the GB.

Hmmmm very unfortunate!

Is there a chance of more than one build one scheme being out there?

:(

I'd vote for a re-spray! 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

maybe this is a good alternative template, obviously 2 paint schemes on the Roulettes:

https://www.southernskymodels.com.au/MacchiMB-326HRAAFRoulettes-1615.html

HM%20AAF-062%20Roulettes%202.jpg,in my opinion, you "just" need to mask some of the white schevrons (in a slightly different form) and the orange intakes and paint the aluminium....

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

Oh dear Steve, this really isn't good news at all.

You really have put a lot of effort into this (especially the masking) and I really don't want to lose you from the GB.

I know it's a pain but perhaps try something along the lines of Werner's suggestion...

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

in my opinion, you "just" need to mask some of the white schevrons (in a slightly different form) and the orange intakes and paint the aluminium....

• Like 1

Thanks Werner and Craig looks like the easy option will be to repaint in silver as I needed to do the fuselage anyway then mask and spray the white Chevron last no work needed on the upper air frame as its masked as per the profile.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Morning all,with a little tweak of the real scheme I've re-done the lower colours to near enough what they should be brushed on the aluminium

as it was less hassle than all that masking!

20190731_102939

Top came out OK I'll need to mask for the white flashes and touch up the odd area before glossing.

20190731_111916

• Like 8

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Steve!

Really glad you had a go and re-sprayed the model, looks great too.

Is that an Aussie Wessex I see lurking in the back of one of the pics?

Cheers Craig.yes it's a Frog kit in the Frog GB running at the moment I have a "few' builds entered.😄

• Haha 1

Evening folk's well probably the trickiest part of the painting now done with the tail paintwork finished and the black areas done.I think for the upper

wing white flashes can be used I tested a portion on the orange and it's dense enough not to let the orange  bleed through so glossing next session.

20190801_213649

• Like 5

Afternoon folk's here's latest progress on what really is a beautiful scheme,I used the decals for the upper wing flashes which match the painted

white quite well funny though the fuselage "Roo" has bled the orange but I can live with it just a couple of small walkway decals to add but for now

my eyes need a rest,thanks for looking in.

20190802_134757

• Like 10

Thank's Craig I might even finally build that Red Arrows Hawk if I can finish this colourful bird.I'll probably do another build later I fancy an F-15

in the collection and have a sheet for a pair of Japanese machines from a long gone fail we'll see. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Craig I might even finally build that Red Arrows Hawk if I can finish this colourful bird.I'll probably do another build later I fancy an F-15

in the collection and have a sheet for a pair of Japanese machines from a long gone fail we'll see. 

A Red Arrows Hawk would look nice sitting next to your Aermacchi, but an F-15J would look better in our gallery :) .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

That really is a stand out little eye catcher steve,  very nice indeed

Cheer's Glynn,glad I stuck with the scheme it should stand out well on the shelf with all the drab stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2019 at 19:24, PlaStix said:

Another absolutely superb build Steve. Stunning modelling as always. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Sorry I missed your post Stix,many thanks I've been buried in the Frog GB for weeks so some GB entries falling by the wayside including this one.

Last few jobs being done now canopy needs a couple of more passes with the brush before cleaning up with a cocktail stick.

20190821_105552

• Like 6