Aermacchi MB 326.RAAF 1980's.

Laying down a marker as I can't make a start just yet but although not what you would call front line I'm told it falls into the GB rules as these aircraft were combat 

capable if required and their pilots certainly were all front line trained,I'm building the single seater in Italian colours and it's a nice little kit so when the chance came 

to get the two seater I jumped at the chance,this is the first Aussie aircraft  I've done since Airfix's Boomerang and that was when it was released!

20190630_200727

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Certainly will be a colourful build Steve.

Is the kit in 1/72 or 1/48?

It's 1/72 scale Craig I've dropped down for a while from 1/48.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I've been looking at (and buying!) more 1/72 scale stuff myself lately, certainly makes storage easier.

You would think it would but I'm on track to build 25-26 models this year. Because I'm switching mostly to 1/72, i can build quicker and now need even more storage. Its a never ending 🔄 i guess. I used to build 1/48 exclusively. I ran out of space. I switched to a smaller scale to reduce storage. Then i wind up building more thus needing even more storage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:06 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You would think it would but I'm on track to build 25-26 models this year. Because I'm switching mostly to 1/72, i can build quicker and now need even more storage. Its a never ending 🔄 i guess. I used to build 1/48 exclusively. I ran out of space. I switched to a smaller scale to reduce storage. Then i wind up building more thus needing even more storage. 

Sell 'em. Enjoy more space. Buy liquor with proceeds. Enjoy expanded space even more.

Anil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,dipped in and out over the last week or two,I'm well on with the single seater and as with it just kit parts and decals used looks busy

enough under the canopy.

20190715_200449

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Really good to see this one underway Steve, although I don't think even you can catch either John or Glynn :) .

I think the kit decals will be fine for the cockpit in 1/72 scale, especially with the lid shut.

Cheers Craig,at least she's started!

• Like 1

Looks good Steve, I have one of these on the SOD that I started a couple of years ago. At the paint stage now.

The cockpit certainly looks good with just the decals. The kit ejection seats are very basic, I replaced mine with resin OM4s. I also forgot to put the bracing part that goes midway down the canopy before sealing it up. Oh well. Just a heads up there, pays to chaekc the instructions every now and then!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looks good Steve, I have one of these on the SOD that I started a couple of years ago. At the paint stage now.

The cockpit certainly looks good with just the decals. The kit ejection seats are very basic, I replaced mine with resin OM4s. I also forgot to put the bracing part that goes midway down the canopy before sealing it up. Oh well. Just a heads up there, pays to chaekc the instructions every now and then!

Thanks for the warning Ray,I've had a few silly moments lately not reading instructions!

• Like 1

Morning folks quick update,fuselage joined without a hitch a little flexi filler in the wing/tank join and ready for a prime.A dry run on the glazing

shows about a good half to one mm needs to be sanded off the aft portion strange as the single seater is spot on.

20190721_104701

• Like 8

I've been figuring out how to approach the paintwork.I'm thinking it best to use Matt white and orange and using gloss coat to finish it off rather than messing with gloss paints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

I've been figuring out how to approach the paintwork.I'm thinking it best to use Matt white and orange and using gloss coat to finish it off rather than messing with gloss paints.

That sounds like a good idea to me Steve, gloss paints can be a real PITA.

On a side note, where has Flashheart gone?

Yes, best to go with flat paint and gloss up later.

As for the the canopy, my kit came with the clear parts for an MB339. It took a bit of convincing with the Italeri folk to get a replacement campy without paying. In the end a few images of the fit saved the day and replacement canopy arrived.

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Yes, best to go with flat paint and gloss up later.

As for the the canopy, my kit came with the clear parts for an MB339. It took a bit of convincing with the Italeri folk to get a replacement campy without paying. In the end a few images of the fit saved the day and replacement canopy arrived.

Thank's Ray,I'm off today so a paint run to the LMS is on the cards,I'll prime and base coat in white then mask for orange leaving the decals

supplied for the white portion of the wings out of the equation.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I've built kits in less time than the masking has taken on this one this morning,Italeri really don't help as if you were to follow the B&W

instructions no colours are named only represented by shading which would have you paint the whole underside aluminium and why only supply

half the wing decals for the white portion?Anyway I sprayed the whole airframe white and masked off for Orange,looks ok and drying nicely what

happens when the masking comes off will make or break the build photo's soon.

• Like 2