Alfa Romeo Alfetta 1.24 Mistercraft

Great work so far on the Alfa. I have an idea Rob, what scale is this ? Ahh 1/24 scale i see... i wonder if wire wheels from a 1/28 or 1/32 WW1 aircraft detailing set would work ? Then again there are 1/24 wire wheels aftermarket. I used to build a lot of car kits in the later 90's. Would these work ⬇️ they're for 1/24 vintage Ferrari's. 

https://www.popscreen.com/prod/OTk1MTA1NTY=/Hobby-Design-HD070028-124-Wire-Wheel-Hasegawa-250TR-eBay

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

I haven't given up on Alfa, but I did have a couple of Lockheed's finest to finish. 

And I'm deep in "thought experiments" with regard to making spoked wheels from what comes with the kit, or any other method for that matter. 

The kit wheels are made with the face of the brakedrum included acting as the main structure holding the hub. 

I'm OK with that for a static model, if I can pull off the spokes effect. 

IMG_20190718_211402

I had a couple of worthwhile conversations at our annual club show at the weekend, including with the man who built the MFH Ferrari 250 in 1.20 scale which went on to win the Best in Show!

I was referred to a Portuguese guy called Fernando Pinto, to find him on Facebook. 

Unfortunately the name is the Portuguese equivalent of John Smith!! 

There's hundreds of 'em! 

Found other things on the net, but all seems historical, foreign or unavailable. I'm currently thinking along the lines of copper wire over a circular frame or loom, and gone over with solder. 

16 spokes each like a double asterisk, and trimmed to fit the wheels. 

Thoughts and visualisation is as far as I've got though.... 🤔

Hmmmm 

What a treasure trove of fantastic car modelling.....! 

Superb products from Fernando Pinto. 

Looking like it's about 45 - 50 Euros for a set of wheels and tyres. 

I got to decide if that's appropriate expenditure for this kit. 

Would certainly enhance the finish of my Alfetta!! 

Hi Rob,

Well, you’ve got an interesting problem to deal with.  You’ve probably heard of Gerald Wingrove, model car builder extraordinaire.  I used to check his book The Complete Car Modeller out of the library from time to time just to look a his methods and models.  If I remember, he had a way of lacing wire wheels together tha was unique and might give you some ideas on adapting it to your needs.  Or maybe not.  Worth googling his name and wire wheels to see what pops up.  I did and there was even an old BM thread on the topic

Book available on ebay.

Dennis 

• Thanks 1

On 18/07/2019 at 21:43, rob Lyttle said:

I'm currently thinking along the lines of copper wire over a circular frame or loom, and gone over with solder. 

16 spokes each like a double asterisk,

Experiment no. 1....

IMG_20190719_220426

Well, you gotta try these things....! 

• Like 1

I agree, trying new things doesn't always lead to a good result but it's an iterative process. Hands-on experience is always worthwhile.

Don't know if this build by @limeypilot is of any use but he rebuilt the kit wheels of Matchbox's Mercedes SSKL

www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037851-mercedes-benz-sskl-matchbox-132/&tab=comments#comment-3028124

Looks like he had a similar problem to you

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still working on those, but I've proved the concept.

The trick is get thin fishing line, emphasis on "thin", and number the holes so you can thread them more easily.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

This is all great feedback, thanks, and some fascinating reading. 

I've got one major issue though, and that's the fact that these kit wheels have the tyres moulded onto them. 

If I'm going to use them, drilling and threading etc isn't going to work on these. 

What I need to aim for is more along the lines of an insert. 

Here's experiment no. 2....

IMG_20190720_120241

Spacing reduced by half 

And a dark wash on the drum face area, 

IMG_20190720_161734

I thought the wire was a bit thin for the 1950's look, but maybe it is quite close to what I need. 

Two of those, one pushed to the back, and all a bit neater, might give me the look 

To use limeypilot 's useful term, I'm proving the concept..... or disproving depending on outcome..... 

I'm feeling a little bit upbeat right now. 

This is never going to be gold standard Spoking here, and ultimately a set of Pinto' s excellent products would be THE way to go..... But let's face it, you don't learn anything much by buying somebody else's work. 

Here's what I've got so far.... 

The rear wheels had just been drilled to take the smaller Ali tube axle /shafts. 

I've now drilled them out to take a small piece of the larger Ali tube with a little bit protruding from the hub. 

This gives a little collar for the outer "Web" to centre over.... 

IMG_20190720_204424

When it's cobbled together and slid in place, it starts to look something like it. 

IMG_20190720_210310

IMG_20190720_210408

The plan for final attachment is fix the wheel knockoff nut to the hub and a dressmaking pin through a pinhole in the centre and into the smaller tube bore. 

The same principle should apply to the front wheels, with shortened pins. 

They're already fitted with the larger tube bearings. 

I'll have another go at this, just need to work a bit tidy 😇

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

This one involves access to a complete metalworking facility. 

It may not be too long before the maker of that video stops making wheels - or anything else. Anyone wearing a floppy jumper like that while operating a lathe is probably going to lose a hand or arm before long.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what materials you have, but here's what I'd try.

First run a piece of masking tape around the outer rim to get the length. Remove it and measure for the number of spikes, then mark each spoke position. Reattach to the rim and drill small holes for the outer ends of the spokes at the marked positions. Then cut small lengths of your spoke material, each long enough just for 1 spoke, rim to hub, and straighten them by rolling them under a steel rule on a glass or similar surface. Then attach each one individually using CA glue. It's a bit more work, but you won't have the globs of solder, or the bent spokes. Might be worth a try....

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sounds like a coherent plan OK @limeypilot, but for me it also looks like a candidate for the shelf of doom.

One wheel maybe would get close to the finish line, but 4....?

Currently investigating brass wires, which should be a bit stiffer than the copper. 

Craft and jewellery supplies seems to be the best place to be looking. 

• Like 1