1/32 SAAF Mirage IIIEZ

Hi guys,

I started working on detailing and correcting the 1/32 Italeri Mirage IIIE to a SAAF Mirage IIIEZ.

The kit is in need of quite a few improvements and corrections, such as the instrument cowl, Instrument panel, ejection seat, bulkhead, tail fin, exhaust nozzle, JL-100 rocket launchers and their pylons. The length of the intake trunks will also have to be trimmed back a bit. Here's some pics of what has been done so far. Most picture show a before and after of the parts.

wgoOys.jpg

9f2jXq.jpg

paxahk.jpg

Fk6KbK.jpg

xR1MNa.jpg

HgTYMX.jpg

QTxvO1.jpg

88a2zl.jpg

bohDfk.jpg

veMuvx.jpg

8GPWyD.jpg

hcNbKl.jpg

AYUiiH.jpg

w9ltA8.jpg

Lb0deL.jpg

Cheers

• Like 12

Thanks Werner and Unc2 :) 

The kit JL-100 rocket pods are a bit too long and the diameter +-2.5mm less. So I'm making new ones that will be the correct size.

The pylons are underscale, so new ones as well.

Cheers,

John

Superb! Looking forward to watching progress on this. A younger version of me used to be very impressed by these machines in RSA in the early-to-mid '80s, when they were painted tan/green/light grey. Which colour scheme are you planning to finish it in?

Jon

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

Superb! Looking forward to watching progress on this. A younger version of me used to be very impressed by these machines in RSA in the early-to-mid '80s, when they were painted tan/green/light grey. Which colour scheme are you planning to finish it in?

Jon

Hi Jon, glad you like it :)

The old Buff , Olive Drab and Light Admiralty Grey was the best, and would be the coolest scheme to do ;)

Another update, the main landing gear door reinforcing strips have been added.

g8i9B6.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bladerunner said:

Thanks Werner and Unc2 :) 

The kit JL-100 rocket pods are a bit too long and the diameter +-2.5mm less. So I'm making new ones that will be the correct size.

The pylons are underscale, so new ones as well.

Cheers,

John

Thanks a lot!

Are you going to open the through holes and exhaust as well?

2 hours ago, Bladerunner said:

Hi Jon, glad you like it :)

The old Buff , Olive Drab and Light Admiralty Grey was the best, and would be the coolest scheme to do ;)

Excellent. I used to spend hours looking at Herman Potgieter’s photos of these and the other SAAF hardware in my South African copy of the Potgieter & Steenkamp book ‘Aircraft of the South African Air Force’ (it’s still my favourite aviation book, for old times’ sake). I have a 1/48 IIICZ in silver stashed away in a box, but haven’t yet built a IIIEZ. Keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, Jonners said:

Excellent. I used to spend hours looking at Herman Potgieter’s photos of these and the other SAAF hardware in my South African copy of the Potgieter & Steenkamp book ‘Aircraft of the South African Air Force’ (it’s still my favourite aviation book, for old times’ sake). I have a 1/48 IIICZ in silver stashed away in a box, but haven’t yet built a IIIEZ. Keep up the good work.

Jon, I have the same book, and it contains truly beautiful photos of the Mirages.

Regarding the JL-100 pods, the blast vents/exhausts will be open, and the front of the tubes will have to slightly recessed oval covers, typical of a loaded configuration.

Cheers,

John

The 1/48 Kinetic Mirage III or 5 kits, with which I'm not particularly happy about the wheels on 'em. :rolleyes:

Thought I might use some Plastruct #90710 (.010 by .020 strip) and then sand them down some.

Whad'yathink, bruh?

Incidentally; what town in sweet SAfrika are you from?

Cheers John.

Unc2

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

The 1/48 Kinetic Mirage III or 5 kits, with which I'm not particularly happy about the wheels on 'em. :rolleyes:

Thought I might use some Plastruct #90710 (.010 by .020 strip) and then sand them down some.

Whad'yathink, bruh?

Incidentally; what town in sweet SAfrika are you from?

Cheers John.

Unc2

I see, those wheels are not that great. I have replacements for you. Send me a PM if you're interested, then we can make a plan ;)

I live in Cape Town :)

The brake chute fairing needs to be extended forward. I chose to do this with filler putty to build up the fairing. The putty (Perfect Plastic Putty) dries very quick and is really easy to sand and shape. Here's a picture showing the progress so far, with the original kit tail fin above and the modified one below. The difference between the rudders is clearly visible.

N1BZzt.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

The CRP 18 pylon has different panel lines from the left hand side and the right hand side, and this is mirrored on the opposing wing station. A resin copy was made, and details copied on opposing sides. They are still mounted on their sprues.

MIy0yU.jpg

The rudder control horn, it's linkage and fairing has been replaced.

oVH117.jpg

Cheers

On 7/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, basket said:

Very precise and neat job so far .

One of my favorite jet , I'll stay tuned .

Thanks basket :)

Some more progress.

The instrument cowl test fit, and it doesn't interfere with the windshield fitment. What a relief...

1jzEUl.jpg

The kit brake chute cone diameter is too big, and I almost have it reduced to the correct diameter.

Ckv9BY.jpg

Received replacement rocket pod cone for the JL-100 from a friend's spares box

Wi1NHM.jpg

MbtQR4.jpg

Here's all the additional and modified parts so far. 

UO4Ksk.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...