Tim's Sea Vixen - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Rejoining with this Revell Sea Vixen, that was formerly Frog kit F409.

Well, it was either this or a Lightning.

Revell-Sea-Vixen.jpg

Requiring a nose extension similar to that I did on the Javelin.

Here are the parts. I've got an Aeroclub vac canopy.

IMG-20190630-195309.jpg

This kit cost me £8.99 on 05 March 1998 - I kept the receipt.

It scored about the worst review for shape that I've ever read in SAMI Oct 1999, which is why it's been ignored ever since!

I've looked at Nimrod's thread - thanks.

IMG-20190630-195118.jpg

• Like 6

As the big Jav is complete, good to see you going around again with another large post war jet. With all those red warning decals, this Revell Sea Vixen does look to be the box to go for.  We wish you luck however have no doubts you will carry out another stellar effort. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

As the big Jav is complete, good to see you going around again with another large post war jet. With all those red warning decals, this Revell Sea Vixen does look to be the box to go for.  We wish you luck however have no doubts you will carry out another stellar effort. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, this my first ever build of a Vixen, with an Airfix kit in the stash.

I thought I had a spare copy of decals, I've seen that red crossed area somewhere recently,  probably donated to Jet Age. But I couldn't find them last night.

Anyways, cockpit interior all painted black now.

• Like 1

AFAIK, the only other decal sheets with the warning lines are the Model Art ones which I think are sized for the Frog origin kit. Cyberhobby, Xtrakit etc may have them too but these may not fit the Frog kit.

Steve.

The Frog Sea Venom has the red boxes for placement on the wings. I have several spare decal sheets but I doubt they would be quite big enough for the Vixen. I have a couple of spare Vixen sheets but Frog did not include the red boxes.

Just a bit of a heads-up. Take care with the folding section of the wing, the outer sections need thinning at the leading and trailing edges to avoid a step with the inboard sections. It's less of an issue if you plan to have the wings folded. 

HTH

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good so far. Incidentally don't forget to put the Javelin in the Gallery or you won't get a Gold Star for finishing from Dave!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

One Gold star already given away and looking at the way this ones progressing I’ll be giving out another shortly. Nice progress on this old Vixen - who says we need a new tooled 1/72nd kit? 

Cheers (a ducking for cover).. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what's been going on whilst I'm painting that Phantom.

IMG-20190811-172553.jpg

Extension job.  I did this in a similar way to Nimrod (built up a ring at the back) whilst building my Javelin.

This time I cut off the rear part of a teardrop fuel tank, glued that onto the nose, and lots of filler and sanding.

• Like 5

Apologies for missing these updatesTim, I was certain I’d caught up with all the latest ones! Now the only thing better than a great Vixen in the Gallery is another one to accompany it and this certainly looks like a worthy flight deck partner. Looking great! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Completion photos.

Revell-Sea-Vixen-FP.jpg

This model is tailsitter, currently parked on my camera's lens-cap.

Revell-Sea-Vixen-FS.jpg

I'm going to extend the tail-bumpers a bit to disguise that.

Revell-Sea-Vixen-RP.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the look, especially with the lengthened nose.

Revell-Sea-Vixen-RS.jpg

Signing off from this build.

• Like 6