Humrol gloss black enamel problem

Frankberge

Hi, i am spraying down my 2. Layer of the humbrol gloss black enamel. 

I will put some alclad on it after but already starting to notice what might become a problem.

I sprayed a very light coat first, followed by another light coat 30min later. I could already notice the problem on the first coat but thought it might even out on the second. 

There seems to be some sort of "pores" in the paint. What could be the problem?

48162472292_a91bdcbed3.jpg48162396946_4a8794fc3a_b.jpg

Edited by Frankberge

either dirt (contamination) in the paint mix or surface contamination. 

Are you spraying your own mix through an air brush or is it from a ready-mixed can?

Did you clean the surface before spraying?

That could very well be my mistakes. I sanded the nubmarks but did not clean afterward, just sprayed some air. Looked cleaned enough for my eye:) 

I sprayed my own mix, just added some tamiya enamel thinner until the mix looked good. Usually works with acrylics. 

Do you think i can save the parts by some gentle sanding/polish and spraying with a good mix after or would you recommend to strip the parts for paint completely?

Alclad is going to show up every small imperfection on the surface. I would strip it back to clean plastic and start over.

I'm not too sure about using Tamiya enamel thinners with Humbrol paint though. They might not be compatible, adding to your problem

You have either contaminants in your paint mix, or on the surface that you're painting. Personally, I would strip back to plastic, clean the surface thoroughly, use a primer, sand it back with fine wet and dry paper, used wet, then re-apply the gloss black with the correct Humbrol thinner..

The paint has been removed and cleaned. It was a very easy job as the paint just peeled off after a minute in white spirit. A bit too easy maybe?

I will do some testing on some plastic spoons before painting the parts again.

My primer is mr. Surfacer 1500 and i also found an enamel thinner from humbrol i had forgot about. 

27 minutes ago, Frankberge said:

the paint just peeled off after a minute in white spirit. A bit too easy maybe?

That shouldn't happen.  Starting with a good primer will give the gloss coat something to hold on too and you'll get a better gloss finish too.

If your surface is smooth and properly prepped Alclad works perfectly though I would would bin the humbrol, the words "quality control" were long ago deleted from their dictionaries and most of their products are pretty poor and cheaply made.  If your surface preparation is good the results will speak for themselves.

Primed with 50/50 Mr Surfacer 1500 + Super uv Cut gloss+leveling thinner then Alclad Chrome

46585227551_a2a953eb06_b.jpg&key=fe8ef6d

Primed Mr Surfacer 1500+ leveling thinner, Alclad HSS

44429563450_2362e9053a_b.jpg&key=8bebdc4

46195873652_b5b40653aa_b.jpg&key=e8e266c

31338665177_3652f0b42c_b.jpg&key=3d4a852

Anil