Sea King HAR.3 - A rescue job

Sea King HAR.3, D Flight, 202 Sqn, RAF Lossiemouth, 1981.

This particular kit has sat on the shelf making me feel guilty for the last 18 months.  I bought it second-hand, partly started, as a donor for a canopy missing from another kit. A few parts had been assembled and the extra RAF-style windows had been cut out.

wpff06191e_05_06.jpg

I couldn't bring myself simply to split it up for parts, so I had another go at rescuing it by  crash-moulding a new canopy, this time using its own canopy to make a female mould form silicone, then a male mould from Milliput.  I finished up by heating some acetate with a hair dryer and forming it over the male mould.  Success.............. :)

wpc84b8966_05_06.jpg

Its not perfect, but it works well enough for now!

wp49019ecb_05_06.jpg

wp3f3fad83_05_06.jpg

wpe131d98d_05_06.jpg

And finally, all my Sea Kings (so far) in one place!

wp5d54fc9f_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

• Like 28

That is a lovely job you've done on the Sea King.  I have a couple of old kits that have lost their canopies, however, I never thought to have a go at crash moulding replacements.  Your method looks very effective and I might just give it a try.

Really nice array of Sea Kings there.

cheers,

Mike

Hello gencriz,

Always good to see the RAF Sea King in scale 1/72.

I took the time to check out your website with all the different models.

Quite a selection and all of very high quality. What I also appreciated was the overal text to accompany the models.

Regards, Orion.

Aaargh - well spotted.  The Fujimi decals fell to pieces, so I used Modeldecal instead, but the last number was wrong for the Lossie aircraft I wanted.

Now that you have reminded me, I  I will add the errant 7  :)

FredT

I wondered about the last serial number, too! To be honest, each aircraft tended to move its way round the fleet as other aircraft were moved to servicing. In a previous life I flew '597 as a student on the OCU at St Mawgan, again in the Falkland Islands a few years later and finally from RAF Valley. Here's a logbook extract which includes a photo of us in '597 collecting a chap who had suffered a heart attack on Moel Eilio (he survived):

20190703_084317

Excellent recovery on the canopy, by the way, and a very nice collection of Sea Kings.

Jon

• Like 1

Great lineup of UK Sea Kings you have there.

I have a couple of the Airfix AEW2/ASaC7 boxings to build. Very tired mouldings and poor cockpit glazing. Think I may have to try making my own as you did. Thanks for the inspiration.