Nihon no fantomu or Japanese Phantom

Hello everyone... I will be using this Hasegawa kit re-boxed from monogram for my build. 

afFkqTE.jpg

I will be using the instructions and decals from this kit.  

cJq5Px9.jpg

Here are the obligatory sprue shots 

38ygaYl.jpg

OXN71T4.jpg

In this photo ⬇️ you can see the only thing thats been done is the cockpit was glued together. This is a 2nd hand kit that came like this. Im pretty sure that falls below the 25% mark ? 

0o9Cgci.jpg

3gYrppi.jpg

I actually have 3 complete canopy sets the kits and two from spares. 

PASt0oY.jpg

I will be building either 87-8407 from the 306th Fighter Squadron in this scheme from 1982.

g5u3sS7.jpg

Or my alternative will be 87-8411 from  the 302nd Fighter Squadron in 1980. 

jJvz7rj.jpg

mAR5vBy.png

Please feel free to ask questions, make comments, or give your thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Minasankon'nichiwa... Hello everybody well i finally was able to start this today. I painted the office and set it into the starboard fuselage then added nose weight, in this case 1 oz.

Z8f4M99.jpg

S3tIfg4.jpg

Next up is to glue the fuselage halves, nose, and the air ducts under the cockpit along the nose. Not sure but I'm thinking about adding the pilots to the seats, as the Hasegawa seats just aren't super detailed. Any clue what early 80's Japanese helmets were looking like ? Im thinking white personally. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everyone... Shes definitely a Big'n in 1/48.

gGrrMH0.jpg

FlHmaEX.jpg

Im doing the 1/72 F-4D in the Phantom group build and there is a substantial size difference between the two. 

q4nn1Q7.jpg

And no I'm not building some freaky weird Mistel. 😉 I built up the seats and wings today. Added the nose which will need some work on the lower half. The whole fuselage is glued as are the wings. Currently they're just mocked up for photo purposes. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everyone... Sorry this will be a somewhat slow build until i finish off a few others. Though i did glue the wings & intakes on tonight, i also gave it a rough sanding on the seams. I have to say these are probably the best phantom intakes I've had yet. They're not perfect but as close as I've ever gotten. 

57H2ivL.jpg

6iFYOSv.jpg

gi31EHr.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

7 hours ago, whiskey said:

Those are the kit intakes?

Yes they are, they are open to a flat wall inside. Not bad considering that this was a re-pop by Monogram's Pro-modeller group. Scalemates has it listed as a 2003 kit. 

Dennis

Edit: fsXOOcc.png

• Like 1

Hasegawa's intakes are spotty. Sometimes you get a kit that they fall into place without issues, and sometimes you get one that goes horribly wrong. I'm glad to see that yours didn't give you a lot of fuss and were able to use them. AM intakes aren't cheap these days.

• Like 1

Hello All... I did some work on the bang seats and pilots today. cIuZPyq.jpg

2YQcGcB.jpg

Pilots are glued to the bang seats here. ⬇️

W56aXc6.jpg

This ⬆️ Is the last time the GIB still had his feet. I found out when i test fitted him into the rear office, his legs were to close together to fit under the panel. 

PjRrZQ3.jpg

lChIbOw.jpg

The crew are just placed in the office for show they aren't glued into the plane yet. 

gIcJZk6.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

EDIT: I forgot to add that since I've added a crew and the jet is running. I have repainted the display screens green to represent that fact. 

• Like 3

Hello Craig

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice job on the pilots and their seats Dennis, I love the orange flight suits, they really catch the eye.

I almost did a boo-boo there, i almost painted them in all green flight-suits until i caught a flash of orange in a photo. 

• Like 1

Hello All... well I've gotten this up to the point of crew in cockpit and canopy on. Boy am I glad i had three sets of canopies. The first set was not well done after dipping in Future. Heres a result of the first attempt. 

37KaLI2.jpg

The future wasnt right at first so i let it dry a day or two longer. Then when i painted it i dropped this one smearing paint. Go to clean it and this is ⬆️ the result. So I dipped a second canopy and mounted it. This time i painted the interior color on the outside. 

DlNFAhD.jpg

9f75rlf.jpg

C2DYnf8.jpg

33kGuLK.jpg

When the paint is dry i will mask the canopies for paint. While painting the white on my Mexican Air force P-47 today i sprayed everything on this white as well. 

uvKa90a.jpg

Questions, comments, thoughts, or good stories ?  

Dennis

• Like 3

Very nice indeed, and well done with the intakes. I really like the aircrew with the bright orange suits and the fact that one has been positioned so that he is not just looking straight ahead. As an aside I too like the colour scheme with the "Sharkmouth" applied.

• Thanks 1