HMS Emperor Hellcat MK I

47988041958_e52a3fa340_b.jpg

Ok so here we go, I’ve lost a ton of time lately and need to get back on the old warhorse.

I will be building an Eduard MK.I Hellcat with all the colours and all the stripes.

47988047722_c024afe185_b.jpg

48028850323_3b43fa2df1_b.jpg

48065510376_70f502b110_b.jpg

48065613842_bed5d6378d_b.jpg

48117797286_6ecc447f22_b.jpg

48117797301_bc5061cf45_b.jpg

Production was started in the usual manner and there are a lot of fiddle bits with the pe set. (Carpet monster was well fed).

i wasn’t satisfied with the kits seat and pe belts so went and ordered a new one through ultracast(along with numerous other goodies for the stash).

I’ve got the flat coat on the cockpit and just have to do some final detailing and wear and stick it all together.

• Like 9

What a pain in the butt I’ve had tonight.

After finishing the cockpit and having everything ready for assembly, I go to put it all together and it just won’t go no matter what I do, even after checking figments and clearances.  I almost gave up.  I eventually trimmed the crap out of panels and used a metric but load of superglue to keep the cockpit steady.  Here’s hoping everything stays put.  

48203318937_829c1ae08c_b.jpg

48203318927_3b913011d0_b.jpg

Heres the cockpit.  I didn’t like the kit seat and photoetch belts so as usual I installed some resin seats with the correct Sutton harness for MK.Is Probably going to do some clean up after the fuselage is complete.

48203275016_0d60888062_b.jpg

48203275026_a306634a99_b.jpg

Lotsa tape and glue.  Hear me baby hold together.

• Like 6

and because of superglue the rear glass has crazed.  I was able to remove those parts but installing a new set is going to be more of a pain.  Might shelf this and begin a different d-day bird.  Just want to keep the mojo going.

• Sad 3

Pics to come.

I buckled down and replaced the glass and pe on those two parts.  It’s not looking that pretty as I don’t have any way of accessing the right angle to keep them attached the way I wanted them to be...but it still looks the part and honestly will be difficult to tell as the canopy will be slid back.

Did a fair amount of sanding and now have it prepped for primer.  Hoping that was the hard part, except I’m concerned about getting the invasion stripes the right width with zero bleed.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beazer said:

Hoping that was the hard part, except I’m concerned about getting the invasion stripes the right width with zero bleed.

Good work so far Beazer, I'll be watching out for this one..

I have built three of these kits so far (2xMkI and 1xMkII) and I really enjoyed them all.  The bit that foxes me is the seem along the length of the flaps on the underside - I was never sure - fill or don't fill....

I'll be watching for you Invasion Stripes - I am just about to start a Seafire III from the Spotting Pool which will have full stripes so I will be watching for your technique.

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'm relieved that you've sorted your glazing @Beazer - how did you do it?

I had to squeeze them in through an angle,  very tight clearance.was worried about the pe coming off but it survived.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok bit of an update.  I had to finish up my other group builds so I could start focusing on this one.

First time I used the pe for the engine bay and for what it’s worth it’s a bit more hassle than I feel is warranted.  Maybe makes more sense when the engine is a lot more open.

Wings are together and did some masking.  Next is the primer and then see about how to do those invasion stripes.

48305397497_aa90458f63_b.jpg

• Like 5

48344533261_280541808f_b.jpg

Primer is on.  Plus a little hot rod red!

The landing gear fits nicely but the parts need to be without burrs.  They’re also super tiny and I had quite a few parts fly off into yonder.  Luckily I was able to do a swift SAR and recovered all but one(a hook that I’ll make look like it was damaged).

Did a fair amount of research on colours.  Not sure yet on the piece that holds the propeller blades but I went with a dark natural steel and washed it with tons of black enamel.

My intention for the FAA colour is to use the Vallejo equivalents.  I’m just not sure on the bottom yet.  

There is a Sky Grey, a Sky Blue, and a Sky Type S.  I think the Sky Grey is correct but if someone could assist and confirm that would be most beneficial as Edwards photo doesn’t help.

A trick I learned for masking curved surfaces is using Tamiya fine white tape.  Sold in very thin rolls.  The tape is different from their normal yellow stuff in that it doesn’t fold and create creases.  Hopefully this helps with the stripes.

Speaking of that I originally intended to do the stripes first.  Lights before darks mentality, but then I thought about how these were applied in the field mere days before D-Day.  So instead I will do as it was done and have the camo on first and then before decals I’ll splash on the stripes.

• Like 3

Love the Hellcat, it’s coming on really well.

Temperate Sea Scheme (TSS) was Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey (it’s actually a green) and Sky S.

Good luck with finishing out your aircraft..

Well,  had to specially order the paint now for this build.  Figured I’d order some SEAC colours as well.  Probably arrive in the middle of August so I’ll be short on time to complete this.

Makes me wonder if I should start the gloss blue Mk II?......

On 22/07/2019 at 08:21, Beazer said:

Speaking of that I originally intended to do the stripes first.  Lights before darks mentality, but then I thought about how these were applied in the field mere days before D-Day.  So instead I will do as it was done and have the camo on first and then before decals I’ll splash on the stripes.

Sounds like a good sequence to me.  I hope your paint arrives sooner than August ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
48501135591_6a9c364336_b.jpg

Paint arrived so laid down the coat of Sky Type S.

Should be able to gain some traction now.  Didn’t realize the build lasted till the end of November.

I think I might be able to relax a little.

• Like 2

My bad,  was looking at a different group build.  September is still ok. 😳

48506980202_4691fd6fe2_b.jpg

Laid down the dark slate grey since I had time to kill while the houses walls dried.

• Like 2