1/32 F-4J(UK)

Stu, before I put in much detail can I check that this build is below the 25% threshold:

20190630_175510

Tamiya kit that stalled in the build a few years back whilst attempting to modify the intakes to be seamless.  Cockpit is fully finished with Eduard etch.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hope so :pray:

3 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Me too! 🤞 That one piece fuselage makes it look like more work has gone in, but it looks more like 10% to me.

Thanks both,

As the usual aircraft GB rule is that the 25% point is the fuselage halves being joined but no more, I'm hopeful that this will be accepted - it also gives a reason to resurrect a build that has been "on the shelf" for a couple of years.

10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

As I’ve said in the rules I’m flexible over the 25%, and for a uk tiger in big scale, I’m not going to rule against it :)

Thanks Stu, will get some more photos and detail added to the thread in due course.

Mike

So, now that this build has been cleared for take off, a few shots of the cockpit:

20190702_155532

20190702_155313

20190702_155457

Eduard etch for the two centre consoles with the horiz side panels painted.  Still various handles to fit but these will get left off until they can't be knocked off.

In my next post I'll try to describe what I did to those horrible stepped intakes but this kit was started about three years ago.

Mike

• Like 9

Are you going to sand off the BDR patches?

Are you using the Yellowhammer decals? They have as muck sticking power as wet mud in a waterfall, and they break up and curl up. Be very careful with them.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Are you going to sand off the BDR patches?

Are you using the Yellowhammer decals? They have as muck sticking power as wet mud in a waterfall, and they break up and curl up. Be very careful with them.

Yes I do have the Yellowhammer decals - thanks for the tip.

Ignorance alert, what are BDR patches?

4 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Yes I do have the Yellowhammer decals - thanks for the tip.

Ignorance alert, what are BDR patches?

Battle Damage Repair.  those odd rectangles spread about the fuselage. It should be smooth.

• Like 1

A couple of views of the port intake which hasn't been attached yet:

20190706_172411 20190706_172510

This isn't my original idea as I followed what somebody else had posted but, at the moment, I can't find that reference at the moment but will post a link when I do.

Basically, the front section of the intake moulding on the fuselage is completely removed and then spliced into the trunking (B27/43 and B26/42).  This is then fixed to the outer intakes (A1/2) with quite a bit of sanding and filling!

I've also just realised that I forgot to paint the rear half of the starboard splitter plate white before fixing the whole assembly to the fuselage.  Will have to see if I can get the plate out without damaging the rest of the intake.

Regards

Mike

• Like 2

I decided to remove the attached intake and have been working on getting the trunking as smooth as I can.

In the meantime, have built the gear legs (need to check my references for brake pipes etc)

20190710_175252

and also the seats:

20190710_175332

Mike

• Like 12

Great kit and a great start Mike I hate getting bogged down with research so tend to follow what others are doing and adapt was the cockpit colours

seat's etc you've done on the J similar to the FG-1 I'm building?

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great kit and a great start Mike I hate getting bogged down with research so tend to follow what others are doing and adapt was the cockpit colours

seat's etc you've done on the J similar to the FG-1 I'm building?

Thanks Steve.

I can't remember which colour was used for cockpit but I think that I just picked a close match to the etch from my many greys.  I would imagine that the Navy and RAF variants used the same colour, but if not someone on the forum will correct me!

6 hours ago, Tomjw said:

An excellent start. Hope you don't mind me tagging along for the ride.

Cheers,

Tom

You're welcome Tom.  Progress may be erratic as I've currently three builds on the go.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The main part of the airframe is now assembled:

20190808_183130

I think that the intakes are as good as I'm ever going to get them - not entirely smooth but at least looking seamless

20190808_183321

Seams to be fettled and I need to work out how to attach the wing outer sections with the correct dihedral - they appear to be inclined too much.  I've also sacrificed the " movability" of the rear stabilators to make painting of the metal section easier.

Mike

• Like 6

• 1 month later...