1980s Front Line Asia Gallery

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote for your favourite model below, 1 vote each and the poll closes at midnight on the 11th November

• John DC Masters 1/72 Mil Mi-8 Hip Soviet Army
    • Hewy's 172 Mil Mi-17 Hip Afghan Air Force
    • Corsairfoxfouruncle's 1/48 F-4EJ JASDF
    • Stevej60's 1/72 Aermacchi MB-326 RAAF
    • Modelling Minion's 1/48 Chengdu F-7MB Bangladeshi Air Force
    • Colin W's 1/48 Cessna A-37 Dragonfly Royal Thai Air Force
    • John DC Masters 1/72 Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot Soviet Air Force
    • Hewy's 1/72 Mil Mi-24 Hind F Soviet Army
    • CliffB's 1/100 Yak-38 Forger Soviet Pacific Fleet
    • Dansk's 1/48 Mig-29A Soviet Air Force
    • Covjets13's 1/48 Grumman F-14A Tomcat VF-111 US Navy
    • Jabba's 1/48 Northrop RF-5E Tigereye Royal Malaysian Air Force
    • Bianfuxia's 1/700 Hiei destroyer JMSDF
    • PhantomBigStu's 1/72 McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet RAAF
    • Rod The Fixer's 1/48 Sukhoi Su-7 Fitter Indian Air Force
    • Exdraken's 1/48 Dassault Mirage IIIO RAAF
    • Pappy's 1/350 Whiskey class submarine Indonesian Navy
    • Modelling Minion's 1/48 Lockheed F-104G Starfighter ROCAF
    • Exdraken's 1/48 Mitsubishi F-1 JASDF

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/19 at 00:00

Post your completed builds here. No more than five photos per entry.

Please do not post comments in this thread. All comments should go in the subject's build thread

Edited by modelling minion

Thank you Craig for this very cool GB...another one!   And it seems I am the first to enter the gallery.  Just as well since in a week from now I will be medaling my way along the southern coast of Eire on a 2-month long cycling excursion along the Wild Atlantic Way and a bit beyond.  I will begin my next bird tomorrow, or tonight, and leave it on the bench next Monday morning for when I return September 22.  

But for now, here's Zvezda's very nice1/72nd scale  Mi-8M kit reconfigured a bit to represent the box art which is actually a Mi-8TVK:  a scratch built 12.7mm nose gun and mounting and a full assortment of 50-and-80mm rocket pods are the difference.  All the paints are Vallejo and Vallejo Air...This is, except for the nose gun, OOB.  It represents Yellow 23,  the 262nd Helicopter Sq., Bagram, Afghanistan, 1989.  Tough times for the Soviets...1989.  Pretty much the end of the road for them.  I am not sure what happened to Yellow 23.  Probably scrapped, like so much of the Soviet hardware.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up...Froggy comes a-courtin'...

--John

• Like 19

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody I present F-4EJ 87-8407 from the 306th Fighter Squadron at Komatsu A.B. in this scheme from 1982. The plane was painted in this splinter type camouflage for aggressor use in a fighter meet. 

VIRrpYT.jpg

1BvRSA7.jpg

iZuWCF5.jpg

6W2HduV.jpg

ZFjZesS.jpg

I hope she meets with your approval. Please post any/all questions, comments, and thoughts in my build log. 

Dennis

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cessna A-37 Dragonfly. 

Revell 1/48 kit reboxed by Encore with resin and PE additional parts, supported by an excellent instruction manual and decals. 

This model is from the kit but with home made decals to represent a plane in the Tango museum in Bangkok. The aircraft was obtained from the USAF in 1984 and assigned to the 221 squadron until retirement in 1992.

20191006_155455

20191006_155414

20191006_155437

20191006_155423

20190915_161303

It's dull and raining here today so not easy to get good pictures.  I'm away for the next few weeks so I'll post these and update later. 

Thanks for the comments along the way and to Minion for hosting. 

Edit 7 October updated pictures. 

Colin 

Edited by Colin W
Updated pictures
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the date...this is Red 59 from 1988...378 OShAP, VVS, USSR, Bagram, Afghanistan, 1986.  

I liked this kit despite its shortcomings in the way of detail.  Not much engine or indeed anything internal although the cockpit is alright.  I am not too keen on two-part tires either.  No matter how much filler I use they always leave a seam.  I suggest resin wheels.  The larger parts fit together well.  The instructions are pretty easy.  Nice looking bird yet I would be unhappy to find that one was coming after me.  Another fine example of a ground attack aircraft--a real tank with wings.  I guess I'll have to build a Warthog now.  Kind of bummed the A-10 isn't flown by anyone else but the USA.  Maybe I'll do a What-If...😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 11

Zvezda mi-24 hind ,red 23 from the Afghanistan -soviet war, a superb model kit, nicley detailed for a 72nd scale kit too with lots of options ootb painted with tamiya and mr hobby paints (a few times) i did the ameoba pattern camo freehand, i nearly lost the plot with this one but I'm glad i persevered in the end

Thanks to craig for the gb ,and all who've followed commented and liked it,and basically egged me on to the finish line

Cheers all

rnsRMiV.jpg

rtxM465.jpg

GDsa1PK.jpg

B7tV2r9.jpg

7YtlvLR.jpg

• Like 14

Yak 38 'Forger':  VVS Pacific Ocean Fleet, 1983.

1/100 Takara kit, built OOB and finished using DIY paint mixes (based on Tamiya acrylics).

The build thread is here.

P1100896.jpg

P1100897.jpg

P1100898.jpg

P1100899.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 11

GWH 1/48 early MiG-29

with AM: Eduard PE Cockpit & Brassin Wheels

I really enjoyed this kit, I'm not an expert but it went together really nicely with only the engine nacelles a pain to fit (mainly down to my fault not the kits)

(excuse the canopy gap - I left the canopy lose so I can remove it to show off the cockpit)

Thanks for all the goodness along the way to those that commented

Particularly Craig @modelling minion and Serge @Aardvark for their never-ending invaluable support, good vibes and advice (what nice men 🙂)

Hope you like it, its a really long way from perfect but I enjoyed the build and particularly the company 😉

cheers gentlemen it's been a pleasure and inspiring to see so many awesome projects in the GB.

build thread here is here for ref:

48871982683_18a658a21b_k.jpg

48872712157_9c62bafbb0_k.jpg

48872514661_6e90207cc0_k.jpg

48872711767_77bb9aba11_k.jpg

48872711577_1cb960cd13_k.jpg

• Like 16

Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A Tomcat, built out of the box. It’s not a fall together kit, but it does build into a wonderful finished representation of the ultimate Grumman cat. Built to show the CAG bird of VF111 when they stopped over at NAS Atsugi after WestPac cruise 1986/7 before returning home.

Here is the build thread 

tvyGlRq.jpg

gEShzTg.jpg

9RtWAGu.jpg

zAde8xg.jpg

mgWauue.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Si 

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my finished - finished enough to roll into battle when the Asia Cold War suddenly turns hot, anyway - JMSDF Helicopter Destroyer (DDH) "Hiei". It's 1/700.

This ship was upgraded during the 1980s to approximately the configuration you see here:

ASROC and three Sea Kings are its main weapons, for anti-submarine warfare, along with two triple-shot torpedo tubes. It has two big 5 inch (127mm) guns up front, for anti-surface and (maybe) anti-air. And for self defence there are two Phalanx close-in weapon systems and an 8-pack Sea Sparrow Basic Point Defence system.

The ASROC is the launcher behind the two gun turrets and the BPDMS is the one at the back on top of the hangar. The helicopters were not from this kit (which came with a Sea Hawk, no good for the 80s, as well as a Chinook and a Cobra. The Sea Kings are by Trumpeter.

This is neither the best model I've ever built, nor the best photos I've ever taken (the originals were a lot sharper than these, I can't work out why they are so badly degraded here). But I've been pressed for time and I am just glad to have finished it (enough) to get it in, and I did enjoy it a lot.

Congratulations to all for the great builds in the gallery above!

Hiei4-1024x350.jpg

Hiei5-1024x509.jpg

Hiei3-1024x537.jpg

Hiei2-1024x465.jpg

Hiei1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 10

Hi mates,

This is my entry for my first GB.

I assembled the Indian Air Force (Bharatiya Vayu Sena) Sukhoi Su-7BMK from the No.32 "Killers" Squadron in 1982. 

Click here for the WIP

Thanks to all those who followed me, commented, and who basically helped me finish the kit 🙂

48996745417_3770f301d9_b.jpg

Su7-Gallery-001 by Rodolfo Masti, su Flickr

48996745302_f503585f40_b.jpg

Su7-Gallery-001b by Rodolfo Masti, su Flickr

48996544501_e7ff60dd50_b.jpg

Su7-Gallery-003 by Rodolfo Masti, su Flickr

48996744997_c47a746acf_b.jpg

Su7-Gallery-004 by Rodolfo Masti, su Flickr

48996544231_396ca544ae_b.jpg

Su7-Gallery-005 by Rodolfo Masti, su Flickr

• Like 12

sorry, no base to offer.... ;) 

great one on the Fitter!

Mirage IIIO 

3 Squadron, RAAF Butterworth, Malaysia ~ 1985

hypothetical load-out if something went hot close by that year  🌶️ 🌭 

ingredients:

• Kinetic kit
  • Caracal/ Kinetic decals
  • SBS cockpit
  • AMK 1300 l tank and pylon
  • HPM MB MK6 seat, wheels
  • Brassin MAtra Magics
  • ResKit Nozzle
  • good advice form the BM community, thanks!

some unexpected ~sunshine this morning let me take some more photos:

NRTh4Po.jpg

VDBNsYZ.jpguYE0pyy.jpg

xut2osp.jpg

gEWkjTe.jpg

WIP:

thanks everybody for the good company and the tireless host for hosting! ( @modelling minion!!)

was great again, thanks for the extension! 

:) :) :) :) :) 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 9

G'day people,

Just managed to squeak in under the wire with this one!

I present my  KRI  410 "Pasopati" , a Project 613 (NATO "Whiskey" class) submarine  of the Indonesian Navy (KRI - Kepal Perang Republic Indonesia).

The Indonesian Navy acquired twelve of these in 1952. At the time, the Indonesian government was on very good terms with the Soviets and the subs were supplied by the Soviets with generous technical and spares assistance. This relationship eventually cooled following a regime change and the generosity of the Soviets decreased as the leadership sought to normalise political relationships with the west.

The Indonesian Navy was able to maintain their fleet for some time, however, by the 1980's some of the subs were being cannibalised to maintain the remainder of the fleet. Three additional  Whiskey III submarines were also acquired  to act as a source of spares. The subject of this build will be KRI-410 "Pasopati" which served from 1952 until her decommissioning in 1994. She was then dismantled and relocated to Surabaya where she currently serves as a public museum.

WIP here:

Now the pics,

019_zps28yultq5.jpg

020_zps9qbclbnd.jpg

021_zpsonzqbaw0.jpg

022_zps9eydliv5.jpg

023_zpsn6lpszkb.jpg

026_zpsmfesfkym.jpg

027_zpsxqysq8xn.jpg

028_zpsbl1tudm6.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 11

Also sneaking in just under the wire is my second build.

Lockheed F-104G Starfighter of the Republic Of China Air Force in the early 1980's.

Built from the Eduard re-boxing of Hasegawa's 1/48 F-104G and finished using decals by Bestfong, painted in a mix of Gunze and Xtracrlix paints.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A big thank you to all of you who have supported and shown interest in my build, there is a link to the build (which will have more pictures of the finished model) is below;

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Craig.

• Like 13

can't get much closer to the deadline, but let's see who manages behind this F1 :devil: 

that is how I imagine a Mitsubishi F1 look like in the mid to late 1980s if the ball went off close to Japan... 

here in an anti shipping role.

Mitsubishi F-1 3rd Squadron with KABUTO Samurai

1/48

• Hasegawa kit and decals
  • Hasegawa Japanese weapons set for the ASM-1
  • Reskit nozzles & wheels
  • Beaver Cooperation PE interior
  • FineMolds Pitot

umIgAWB.jpg

hXKYpiU.jpg

aslbIol.jpg

b1iS4gC.jpg